leaf fans; who is your second favourite team

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
When I was younger when the leafs were knocked out of the playoffs I would cheer for the Devils as I was a big Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur fan but as of late I just have not been into it. (I tend to just cheer for the underdog each year in the playoffs as it makes a great story.)

EDIT: Also when Montreal is playing I follow the ABC rule (Anything But Canadians.)

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
Pretty sure this is ban-worthy.

Lol. I was old (being 24) enough to remember the the heated rivalries between the teams in the early 2000's. I still remember Alfredsson's hit from behind on Tucker in Game 5 of the 2nd round in 2002. I hated that Swedish ****er until I saw him play his heart out in the finals in 07 where the two Canadians (Speeza and Heatley) did not show up while he did.
Did anyone else watch the sens in the playoffs against the rags? If you did, you will know that they played with heart that whole series and never once let up. That was a team to be proud of not the sorry excuse of a team we dressed last season.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Lol. I was old (being 24) enough to remember the the heated rivalries between the teams in the early 2000's. I still remember Alfredsson's hit from behind on Tucker in Game 5 of the 2nd round in 2002. I hated that Swedish ****er until I saw him play his heart out in the finals in 07 where the two Canadians (Speeza and Heatley) did not show up while he did.
Did anyone else watch the sens in the playoffs against the rags? If you did, you will know that they played with heart that whole series and never once let up. That was a team to be proud of not the sorry excuse of a team we dressed last season.

Uhh...

:shakehead

What a gutless puke.

As for the question, I've always had a spot for the Oilers since the mid-90s when CuJo was beating Colorado and Dallas in the first round. Always a fast and exciting team to watch, even if they're not always good. :laugh:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
San Jose. Brother lives in the bay area and ive been to a couple of their games.

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
The Sens. I hated them until last season where they showed immense heart and a never say die attitude. I remember watching them vs the Rangers in the playoffs and they refused to give up, especially so in the last game. They were not even supposed to make it to the playoffs and pushed it to 7 against the rags. Good for them.

g009_idi_amin_laughing_soldier.gif

Sam Slick*

what team do you cheer on all the time when they are not playing Toronto?

There is no "other" button. Manchester United.

I don't care about any other NHL team other than the leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's not possible to be a fan of two teams in the same league.

1a) Steelers
1b) Leafs

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don't agree with the whole "no such thing as a second favourite team" sentiment. The Leafs will always be my #1 team, but I'm also a fan of the NHL in general, not to mention a straight up fan of hockey period (watching and playing). I've always liked the Pens, such great players to watch over the years (Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Francis, Coffey, Stevens, Letang, etc.). Really liked the Wings AND the Avs during their rivalry years (weird, I know), and have enjoyed watching plenty of recent Ducks teams as well. If the Leafs ceased to exist, I'd probably watch just as much hockey as I do now.

Outside the NHL I really like the CHL, especially the WHL and QMJHL. I catch Giants and Mooseheads games whenever possible (live in Vancouver, visit Halifax decently often), and am defintiely a fan of both teams.

Last but not least, I'm a huge team Canada fan in all international competitions, especially the WJCs and the Olympics.

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I've always liked Vancouver since I was a kid. Was always a Bure fan and they were my late night game team (living in NS).

Now that I actual live in Vancouver, it's much harder to cheer for them due to the fan base.

cujoflutie

Hope you don't mind me bumping up my own thread since I never addressed it;

i can understand those who can't have a 2nd favourite but I respectfully disagree. I have trouble watching sports with no vested interest in who wins, I could probably rank all the NHL teams from favourite to least fave. I don't mean to sound rude, but there is the stereotype "Toronto is a hockey town, not a leafs town"

Like many here I'm an ABC (anyone but Canadiens) fan but the irony is I don't have a clear 2nd favourite;

at one time I was a leafs/flames fan. I liked the leafs and Gilmour was my favourite player in the NHL while playing for Calgary. Once he was traded, the leafs became my favourite but I always kept a soft spot for Calgary. I felt bad for them when they couldnt compete in the dead puck era and cheered hard when they finally did make it back in 2004. Though these days they aren't giving me much of a reason to cheer for them. Not that I dislike them but Iginla and the fact that they're canadian and have good fans are the only things keeping me in their corner.

But now I'm considering putting the Jets as #2; I hate gary bettman and love how mad it must have made him that Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. And I truly admire their passion and do think their fan base deserves a win more than Calgary.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
1. Winnipeg
2. Vancouver
3. Edmonton
4. Calgary
5. Chicago

Though, to call them 'favourites' is a bit of a stretch. They're really just 'teams I like to see win but not at the expense of Toronto'.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I've always like Detroit, Philly and Chicago.

Philly not so anymore much now that Pronger's out :(

Always had a soft spot for Calgary thanks to Iginla. That'll go right out the window once he's gone though.

Wouldn't really call any a second favourite though, just lesser evils.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I mostly just cheer against other teams.

i.e. I'll cheer for whoever is playing the Bruins, Habs, Sens, Oilers, or Canucks

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Ducks are my other team. Stemmed at first from the Mighty Ducks movies when I was younger, but stayed my other fav team. Man was it awesome to watch them destroy Ottawa and win the cup in 2007. So many bandwagon Sens fans (in Toronto) cheering for "canadas team" F- that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad