Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XV: La lumière au bout du tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For the health of the organization, maybe the league shouldn't gouge them with a 500 million U.S. dollar expansion fee!

Ya, well, see, Ugmo? That just makes too much sense. Stop it. Pretty clear your a Heretic. Card carrying member of the Hollow Earth Society. :D

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Come on!

They would launch an expansion process, ask 2M from a major media Partner pourring billions, and then say well, its not time for you?

Never.

No doubt for me, everything's is settled.

As there's no emergency landing ready, if a team is in deep trouble later, they would fold that franchise, period.

I highly doubt we would ever see this happen

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Regarding the Winnipeg comparison, what is the average ticket price?

I was wondering the same thing. L'ill Gary is on record saying if Winnipeg didn't sell out every game for ticket prices that are in the top 1/3 of the league that the franchise would not work out very well. Any franchise selling fewer tickets than Winnipeg at any price lower than Winnipeg could be having issues.

Then again a large local TV deal can go along ways to solving problems.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I haven't been back in state for a few years now, so I can not say exactly, but a quick search of stubhub for the season opener against Detroit has singles from anywhere from $30-$330 ($41-$441 CAD)

Also worth noting that the PNC Arena currently seats 3,676 more people than the MTS Center (for hockey, it's substantially larger for Wolfie Basketball)

So Carolina and Winnipeg could have identical attendances for any random game and while the Jets would be a sellout, Carolina would only be 80% full. That's why it often looks emptier than it is, but the fans will come back in force when we're good again. That much we've already proven over the years.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Come on!

As there's no emergency landing ready, if a team is in deep trouble later, they would fold that franchise, period.

Folding franchises are bad for business. There is a reason we haven't seen it happen since Barons closed up shop

Only time since it has nearly happened is when MLB was ready to shutter up Twins + Expos and that was PR nightmare (Well the Twins part)

MadSnowman42

Jul 23, 2015
By "sit on", I meant put in interest earning accounts.
That goes without saying. But nevertheless thank you for the clarification. However, I am certain not every team can afford to create a war chest filled with USD. And it is not the way most businesses operate, hence, me calling it unorthodox.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
That goes without saying. But nevertheless thank you for the clarification. However, I am certain not every team can afford to create a war chest filled with USD. And it is not the way most businesses operate, hence, me calling it unorthodox.

Thing is, most of the owners do have other businesses and like in most markets, they deal in USD. I've read somewhere here on HF that Habs (read Molson) bought around $500M in USD currency while both were at par. I mean Habs will pay its local employees in CAD so that may increase a part of their operating costs by some, but others parts they have to deal in USD or are better doing so, that $500M cushion can last them at least 5 years...enough time to make the currencies go either way.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Come on!

They would launch an expansion process, ask 2M from a major media Partner pourring billions, and then say well, its not time for you?

Never.

No doubt for me, everything's is settled.

Yikes, including an Arizona franchise that quite possibly owes the league anywhere from $85-$185 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad