Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the bolded is realistic and people here really need to start realizing that a NTC actually means something, particularly when it comes from a GM known for doing right by his players. I remember people hoping that Pulock would be traded before his extension went into effect, and here we are over two years later and he's still not traded.

People are going to talk about it all offseason but the prospects of trading Pelech/Pulock, buying out Lee and, on the extreme end, trading Barzal/Sorokin before their clauses kick in are all exceedingly unrealistic. Teams do not ask players to waive NTCs in the early half of contracts, they do not buy out their captains and they certainly don't mess around with things like trading stars they just extended....unless they want to torpedo their chances of ever signing good players long term.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Or sees the GM made the playoffs in 5/6 years since he was hired. Now, maybe fans don’t like the results, but for an owner that’s looking good.
GM of the year twice during that span as well, if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: Throttle

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
A few thoughts:

- I cant help but think that Roy will want to play a more uptempo, fast game. Maybe it's PTSD but I keep thinking Doug Weight's Islanders when I hear that. There needs to be significant changes, particularly on the back end, to play that game.

-It's hard to see big changes coming this year. The contracts, the cap, there is little wiggle room. Sure you can make a trade, but who? Garbage no one else wants OR the few good players we have? It's hard to see major shift next year. 2025, sure - lots of cap room right now.

-This team needs a scoring winger and at least one more PMD to move up - where? who? how? The only thing I can think now is Toronto if they lose their series, might look for more D and grit.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Don't mind Clutter returning on a 1 year minimum. Would selfishly like to see Martin reach 1000 games, but let him do that on a rebuilding team.

I may be in the minority, but I like Fasching. Think he sees the game well, and serves a good role on the bottom 6.
Fasching one of the few who consistently wins his board battles. He's a plug, but he's useful.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
A few thoughts:

- I cant help but think that Roy will want to play a more uptempo, fast game. Maybe it's PTSD but I keep thinking Doug Weight's Islanders when I hear that. There needs to be significant changes, particularly on the back end, to play that game.

-It's hard to see big changes coming this year. The contracts, the cap, there is little wiggle room. Sure you can make a trade, but who? Garbage no one else wants OR the few good players we have? It's hard to see major shift next year. 2025, sure - lots of cap room right now.

-This team needs a scoring winger and at least one more PMD to move up - where? who? how? The only thing I can think now is Toronto if they lose their series, might look for more D and grit.
I ultimately feel as if he wants quicker guys to stick around, and Roy will make Martin and Clutterbuck leave for guys who are quicker with the puck. This is why I feel Reilly stays around, and we move on from Aho and maybe even Bortuzzo.

As for the 2nd point, they will probably trade away Pageau to clear up some room for a proper bottom 6 fix or two. I feel this is a better move for 2025, rather than overpaying for Reinhart/Stamkos/etc. Also would mean the scoring market is gonna be grossly oversaturated because of the titantic contract reinhart will get. Its why I feel like the best options are grit/glue guys like Kunin and Carrier, rather than grossly overpaying for DeBrusk, despite the need for a 1st line winger with Barzal and Horvat.

Chess, not checkers. we do moves in 2025. thats the best option to pull the trigger.

Reactions: TeamKidd

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So he cares about making the playoffs, not winning a cup. Which is exactly what I just said.
Or he’s just patient with a guy that delivered for his significant investment?

Jerry Jones is always trying to win the Super Bowl, how’s that working out the past 20 years?

Reactions: Lights911

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How long are we going to live in the past? We’ve been on a significant downward trend for 3 years with no clear plan on how to fix it.

I think you're looking at it. This it is. Lamoriello will be given another opportunity to address some of the issues. It's his third coach in a short stretch and there's obviously stagnation right now so if the team doesn't make strides forwards in a new direction or in the standings/playoffs then I don't see how he could be brought back.

My question is, if he makes all the moves you want then do you still think he needs to be removed? Is there anything he could do for those that want him gone that would have you change your mind?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think you're looking at it. This it is. Lamoriello will be given another opportunity to address some of the issues. It's his third coach in a short stretch and there's obviously stagnation right now so if the team doesn't make strides forwards in a new direction or in the standings/playoffs then I don't see how he could be brought back.

My question is, if he makes all the moves you want then do you still think he needs to be removed? Is there anything he could do for those that want him gone that would have you change your mind?
I think he’s made a series of terrible decisions that have made it almost impossible to do anything outside of hiring and firing coaches. For that reason alone I don’t think he should be here anymore.

I would consider changing my mind if he came out and was direct with the fans about his direction and plans for the team, and then actually acted upon them during the offseason. As far as I’m concerned we’ve been sailing on a rudderless ship for 2-3 years with no indication that will change.

Reactions: Ishkabible

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Does anyone have a summary of the Lou/Roy presser?

Edit: I listened. Does sound like Lou’s intention is to improve the club, we’ll see if he can execute. Moreover, I look forward to Roy having a full training camp to implement what he wants; think that will help. At this current moment, he may not have the personnel.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can't believe the news about Lou remaining was brought upon so quickly...

Couldn't the owners like give us a couple of weeks to get over the downtroddedness of what have been two straight basically identical endings to a season?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
@periferal I saw you make a post on here regarding that some of us think the Isles values are too high. My overall point on a player like Pulock I disagree on. My reasoning for this is if you go back to before we dealt Ladd and Bailey 99% of posters felt a 1st was going to be needed to get rid of them (especially Ladd).

@Chapin Landvogt brought up Pulock being a RHD as a premium value. I would love to hear your thoughts on how you would handle this offseason.

I'll happily get back to you on this in detail in the coming days/weeks, but my intial response is that I'd likely handle this offseason differently than how I suspect our GM will be handling it.

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
I think Roy wants younger, quicker guys who hustle and play with energy for his system and some might not like it but might see Iskhakov get a good look for next season. Here’s a quote from Roy in a nhl.com article after the last game.

"The plan was to give him some ice time and give him a chance to show us what he could do. I was very, very happy with what I've seen,” Roy said. “He’s small, but I don’t know if he knows he’s small, the way he’s been playing. He’s got great energy, he competes. I have time for him.”

Reactions: BelovedIsles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why would you trust Lou’s judgement anymore? Because 6 years ago tge team overperformed twice? Lou’s on his 3rd second chance since 2022 to set the team in the right direction.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1) Nothing has been communicated to us
2) Nothing has been done in the 3 years outside of hiring/firing coaches, trading for Horvat, and singing mediocre players to bad deals
3) The roster continues to age with one of the worst (if not the worst) prospect pools in the league
The Boston Bruins have almost all three of these things

I wonder what the difference is?

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Lou has no problem moving on from Bailey when he had the chance. I wouldn’t mind seeing Martin or Clutterbuck back but if Lou can dump Bailey anyone can go.

Lou wants to win, and has show he will move on from guys when they don’t fit. He’s kept this core together bc they had success while adding two 30 goal scorers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad