LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
There is also a proper way of using the words there, their and they’re.

There is such a ....

Their truck or their team etc...

They’re playing well.

Just helping you and the next guy out.

I know the proper way of spelling their is. I copied the guy's post because it was ridiculous.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Bit of a weird draft to rank the D prospects but seems like Ty Smith is scoring a ton and nobody is really talking about him.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
To put Smith's numbers into perspective, he finished with 73 points, the same amount Ivan Provorov finished with in his draft +1 year.... on the Brandon Wheat Kings who were 1st in Goals Scored that year. Although Smith has 7 more GP, and Spokane was 4th in Goals Scored this year, it's still a very impressive season for him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I think whoever takes Ty Smith will be VERY happy they did. Really good chance this kid will be a dynamite player. Incredibly smart, skates incredibly well. Not much not to like, and just a boat load of potential.

Many scouts snoozing on him but there the odd scout who understands what he brings to the table, some organization will scoop him #8-#12.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Very curious to see what his height and weight are at the combine. If he is the same size as Makar was last year, I could see a team really liking him and picking him higher than people are expecting.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
To put Smith's numbers into perspective, he finished with 73 points, the same amount Ivan Provorov finished with in his draft +1 year.... on the Brandon Wheat Kings who were 1st in Goals Scored that year. Although Smith has 7 more GP, and Spokane was 4th in Goals Scored this year, it's still a very impressive season for him.
It’s not like he’s an “offensive defenseman”, either; one of his biggest strengths in my eyes is his intelligence and work ethic defensively.

I’ve seen numerous rankings with him between 15-25. It’s flabbergasting.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Draft logic tell's me that one of Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist, or Smith will bust. I wonder...

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I really like him. Intelligence, Moxy and leadership. Undersized but not small.
Will be a lottery pick

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Draft logic tell's me that one of Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist, or Smith will bust. I wonder...

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see how it unfolds. These guys are all pretty hyped right now but odds are that one or two of them will bust or not even come close to expectations. Really tough to say who it will be, they all have some concerns obviously. Honestly I'd probably lean towards Dobson right now. Defensemen from the Q tend to underwhelm, but obviously the other three guys have their concerns to them as well. Hell, you could add Quinn Hughes to that list too.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
It’s not like he’s an “offensive defenseman”, either; one of his biggest strengths in my eyes is his intelligence and work ethic defensively.

I’ve seen numerous rankings with him between 15-25. It’s flabbergasting.

Yeah, honestly, it's his defensive play that really wow's me. His offensive strength is just gravy at that point. He never makes mistakes.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Based on the Isles' need for D men and their likely positions in the draft this year I think it's almost a foregone conclusion this guy will be an Islander. Even the name Ty Smith just has Islanders written all over it.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Brilliant skater and intellect. Uses both to his advantage by cutting players off right at the blue line with seamless timing. Makes the simple play along the boards during the incoming forecheck, again with great timing.

Surely a top 15 player, and I'd rather have him than Bouchard.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Bouchard has the biggest odds I think.

Biggest? As in he's the least likely to bust? Or did you mean lowest, i.e. the most likely, odds of busting? For me, I'm very wary of both Boqvist and Dobson... Dobson is more in the "underwhelm" category, he's a safe bet to make it in the league, but he might not come close to the expectations/ceiling of a top-10 pick.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Biggest? As in he's the least likely to bust? Or did you mean lowest, i.e. the most likely, odds of busting? For me, I'm very wary of both Boqvist and Dobson... Dobson is more in the "underwhelm" category, he's a safe bet to make it in the league, but he might not come close to the expectations/ceiling of a top-10 pick.
Biggest odds not to be impactful because of his average skating and the fact he plays so many minutes in London which kinda shuffles the cards.

I could be very wrong but a guy like Dobson has all the tools IMO. A dynamic guy like Hughes has unreal offensive ability but might not get good enough defensively at the next level.

We’re doing devil’s advocate here anyway.

Reactions: Acadien86

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Based on the Isles' need for D men and their likely positions in the draft this year I think it's almost a foregone conclusion this guy will be an Islander. Even the name Ty Smith just has Islanders written all over it.

I certainly don't think it's a foregone conclusion, but as an Islander fan I would love to come out of the draft with 2 of the big name defenseman this draft.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Would’t be so sure that he will end up and Islander, but I would love the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad