LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Smith was awesome tonight as Yamamoto, AD and him carried Spokane to a 5-3 W. He had 1G+2A with the 3rd star and back to over a PPG. Goal was a great read by him jumping into the rush then walked right in and beat the goalie easily. Both assists were him moving the puck quickly and accurately on the PP.

Reactions: 99664987

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This kid deserves more love around here.

does he ever... he is an unbelievable talent and I cant believe how little love he gets. But then again he didn't play WJC or anything like that and Spokane games aren't televised really ever so a lot of people just aren't familiar with him.

He is tearing it up this season as expected

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
More point than Jones, Provorov, or Valimaki in thier draft season.

I was very hesitant with him last month or so...I wasn't sure if his IQ was good enough to make up for his size as I saw a ton of mistakes from him early in the year...but after watching a few more games this month trying to catch more of Yamamoto, this kid has grown on me a bit. I don't know if I would use a top 10 pick on him, but he could easily go in that 10-15 range depending on what a team values more...he is skilled and gifted, maybe slightly under Hughes but what he has done for Spokane has been impressive.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yeah he's definitely not getting enough love. Love his game. 3rd leading scorer on his team and the leading D scorer by 38 points, crazy. Also a team-high +43, which is 21 better than the next guy.

Just a really smart, elite skating d-man. Lazy comparison but I see some Duncan Keith in his game.

I guess him not being as flashy as Hughes or Boqvist or as big as Dobson or Bouchard is part of the reason why he isn't getting more hype, but this is a very good player.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yeah he's definitely not getting enough love. Love his game. 3rd leading scorer on his team and the leading D scorer by 38 points, crazy. Also a team-high +43, which is 21 better than the next guy.

Just a really smart, elite skating d-man. Lazy comparison but I see some Duncan Keith in his game.

I guess him not being as flashy as Hughes or Boqvist or as big as Dobson or Bouchard is part of the reason why he isn't getting more hype, but this is a very good player.
He is much better than Bouchard.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was very hesitant with him last month or so...I wasn't sure if his IQ was good enough to make up for his size as I saw a ton of mistakes from him early in the year...but after watching a few more games this month trying to catch more of Yamamoto, this kid has grown on me a bit. I don't know if I would use a top 10 pick on him, but he could easily go in that 10-15 range depending on what a team values more...he is skilled and gifted, maybe slightly under Hughes but what he has done for Spokane has been impressive.
He’s going top 10 easily

Reactions: 99664987

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

It's not really a lazy comparison, he actually does have some Keith in his game.

I love his game too, I'm having a hard time finding faults in it outside of his size.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
It's crazy that the draft is this deep for defenseman. There is a legitimate possibility he is the sixth or seventh defenseman off the board yet still go in the top ten.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Loving the Duncan Keith comparaison. If Habs grab him, they can have sort of a Keith-Seabrook reddux with him and Juulsen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad