LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Was at the game last night. As above poster said he was the best player by a mile. Just as good defensively great stick and skating. One game sample size but looks like a top 5 pick.

Not dynamic enough offensively to be a top-5 guy in my eyes. Had an excellent game and is better defensively than some other top D-men in this class, but I see him more in the 10-15 range. Here's my report from last night:

Early in the game, my thought was “this guy is supposed to go top 15?!” Smith looked like a confident puck carrier early on, but all of his early carries ended in dump-ins and he didn’t look overly creative or dynamic. All that changed throughout the game, though.
Smith played an outstanding stretch pass from in front of his own net to the opposing blue line to send a teammate on a breakaway for the 1-0 goal. He frequently jumped in on the attack, not only to come in as the ‘4th forward’, but rather the 2nd or 3rd player on the rush, because he anticipated turnovers far earlier than the actual forwards on his line. As soon as he realised there wasn’t going to be a scoring chance, he sat right back and made sure he didn’t take unnecessary risks. He was extremely smart about jumping in on the attack. He scored the 4-1 goal with a laser of a one-timer. Incredible power and accuracy.
Smith also displayed excellent skating skill. He used his edges perfectly to spin away from forecheckers and create space for himself before jumping on the breakout. On the downside, he seemed to rely on this to work out every time and didn’t have a plan B for when it didn’t. In one instance, he he did three quick turns one after another but wasn’t able to shake off the forechecker, and eventually fell over instead of passing the puck behind the net to his D-partner.
Defensively, Smith looked reliable as well. He displayed strong gap control and used his speed and mobility to stay with oncoming attackers. He also showed solid strength and the ability to pin bigger players against the boards despite his small frame.
The final minutes weren’t great for Smith. He passed a puck right into a PG forward’s stick, who then scored the 4-2, and later stickhandled right into two forecheckers at his own blue line and turned the puck over for a scoring chance against.
Overall, Smith displayed everything that makes him a top-15 candidate, including a goal and two assists. I also had him 1st among Canada’s 2018-eligibles at the U18 worlds, and he displayed everything in this game that I had seen there. He’s not as flashy as an Erik Brannstrom, Jett Woo or Quinton Hughes, but I think he plays a stronger defensive game.

scout97

Jul 17, 2012
A more recently drafted player he reminds me of would be Miro Heiskanen (3rd overall pick last year)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Keith has 3 inches on Campbell and Smith... and Campbell was a 23-26 minute a night guy most of his career... not like he wasn’t a complete player. Y’all are remembering him at the end of his career.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Smith continued his hot start to the year with 1G+2A in a huge come back victory. His goal was from him setting up the screen in front of the goalie then using his quick release to beat the goalie when he couldnt see the puck. 1st assist was a great stretch pass from his own end and the 2nd assist was a good shot to create a rebound that his teammate buried to tie the game with under a minute left. Safely say he played well over 30 minutes and got another 1st star

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Looks to have had a really strong start to the year and still no real talk on here. Just not big enough? Not flashy enough?
There wasn't much talk about Kailer Yamamoto last season either. Spokane doesn't get a lot of attention. Doesn't really reflect on the players themselves. As the season continues I think he'll get more notice. He's a former 1st OA bantam draft pick so the pedigree is there.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Scored the OT winner tonight and added an assist to get back up to a ppg pace he's maintained all year. Think it's between him and Dobson for the first Canadian off the board and both should be top 10 picks

Reactions: 99664987

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Looks to have had a really strong start to the year and still no real talk on here. Just not big enough? Not flashy enough?

hes really good, why do you care what others think? watch him play and formulate your own opinion of him

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Just another 1st star performance for Smith as he carried Spokane to a 4-3 OT win. His assist was from a net scrum after he did a great job getting the puck to the net and he scored the OT winner on a nice feed from Elynuik. Could've easily had more points as he generated a lot of chances and was credited with 7 shots(think it was more). Keeping up his ppg pace even with the Chiefs somewhat treading water and Yamamoto stuggling

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If he drops anywhere lower than the ~10-15 range any team that gets him will get a hell of a player.

Sharks could fall out of the playoffs (Thornton injury) or trade up into that range. Who knows. I’m just saying I have a weird, irrational feeling that we get him. I had the same feeling about Mueller in 2013 and Meier in 2015. But unlike those times, this time I hope I’m right. :laugh:

Reactions: Janne Niinimaa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad