LD Shakir Mukhamadullin (2020, 20th, NJD; traded to SJS)

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
He looked good early on, even had a zone-to-zone-rush. Made one or two little mistakes and obviously started thinking afterwards and stopped playing on instinct, which is never good. In other words, he played to avoid mistakes instead of making an impact.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
His thinking feels slow right now but it seems like it’s getting faster every game so I’m guessing a big part of it is getting used to the NHL.

If he can get his brain right, he’s a top 4 D easily.

He eventually picked it up in thr KHL and was sharp enough to quickly realize that North American defense was a different animal during his short stint with the NJ farm club. He will need some coaching and some reps but he should figure it out. He may not be the next Hedman but he should be a good top four two way defender when he reaches his prime. The draft pundits who crapped on him were way off.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He eventually picked it up in thr KHL and was sharp enough to quickly realize that North American defense was a different animal during his short stint with the NJ farm club. He will need some coaching and some reps but he should figure it out. He may not be the next Hedman but he should be a good top four two way defender when he reaches his prime. The draft pundits who crapped on him were way off.
I hated him his draft year. I think we will know by the end of this year if he can be a regular next year or not. If not by next year, I have my doubts he will be a top 4 D but we will see. Positive signs so far.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I hated him his draft year. I think we will know by the end of this year if he can be a regular next year or not. If not by next year, I have my doubts he will be a top 4 D but we will see. Positive signs so far.

I think his track record is pretty good. I don’t doubt it will take him a bit longer to learn some of the nuance he needs to pick up but he should get there eventually.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
For all the heat Grier got in the Meier trade, it's funny how much people like Muhkamadulin and Musty now (and how sharks fans like Zetterlund compared to when first getting him)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
For all the heat Grier got in the Meier trade, it's funny how much people like Muhkamadulin and Musty now (and how sharks fans like Zetterlund compared to when first getting him)
If Sharks fans would listen Devils fans from the beginning and would watch Shakir breakdown videos, they could not stupidly freak out in the beginning. He was very good prospect before the trade, its not like he turn into after.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It seems to be the new default that people think any prospect acquired in a trade is a bust the other team wants to get rid of. The same is now happening with the Guentzel trade where 3 prospects the Pens got just basically count as nothing to many people.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I wouldn’t say star, a very good #3 is certainly possible. How has he filled out since being traded?
Maybe. But some think far more than that. This is from Hockey Writer's top 100 prospects who weren't yet in the NHL at that point. So like Power, Jiricek, Mintyukov, etc.. not counted, overall, from Jan 2024. That's in their opinion the 18th best prospect in the league.They aren't the final word of course, but a fairly positive anecdote. Their 5th D prospect listed only behind Nemec, Clarke, Edvinsson and Hutson, before the first 2 eventually got called up. They have Reinbacher right behind him at 19. So some expecting big things.

18. Shakir Mukhamadulin, LD, San Jose Sharks

Once viewed as a questionable pick in the 2020 NHL draft, Shakir Mukhamadullin’s stock has consistently risen ever since. He possesses great physical qualities, but his game was very raw and needed to be refined. Mukhamadullin has done just that. At 6-foot-4, 194 pounds, he’s extremely mobile and has a very smooth stride in transition, not to mention he can make a strong breakout pass to start a play. With his size, he isn’t afraid to step up and make a big hit. Mukhamadullin joined the San Jose Barracuda in the AHL this year and has been an excellent two-way player, one who looks more than capable of cracking the Sharks’ lineup very soon.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Maybe. But some think far more than that. This is from Hockey Writer's top 100 prospects who weren't yet in the NHL at that point. So like Power, Jiricek, Mintyukov, etc.. not counted, overall, from Jan 2024. That's in their opinion the 18th best prospect in the league.They aren't the final word of course, but a fairly positive anecdote. Their 5th D prospect listed only behind Nemec, Clarke, Edvinsson and Hutson, before the first 2 eventually got called up. They have Reinbacher right behind him at 19. So some expecting big things.

18. Shakir Mukhamadulin, LD, San Jose Sharks

Once viewed as a questionable pick in the 2020 NHL draft, Shakir Mukhamadullin’s stock has consistently risen ever since. He possesses great physical qualities, but his game was very raw and needed to be refined. Mukhamadullin has done just that. At 6-foot-4, 194 pounds, he’s extremely mobile and has a very smooth stride in transition, not to mention he can make a strong breakout pass to start a play. With his size, he isn’t afraid to step up and make a big hit. Mukhamadullin joined the San Jose Barracuda in the AHL this year and has been an excellent two-way player, one who looks more than capable of cracking the Sharks’ lineup very soon.
He had all those skills when he was drafted and before he was traded, I certainly don’t listen to the talking heads at any of these prospect sites, they are sheep that spit out the same bland catch all scouting reports. “Strong skater, good in transition, plus defender who displays a physical game.”
There is no context which leads me to believe they aren’t actually watching the prospects but instead box score counting.

Edit: I was one of the few very high on Mulhamadullin right from the get go. I’m just not sure he thinks the game well enough or sees the ice well enough in the offensive zone to become a top pair defensmen. He could become a high volume shooter from the point.

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
He had all those skills when he was drafted and before he was traded, I certainly don’t listen to the talking heads at any of these prospect sites, they are sheep that spit out the same bland catch all scouting reports. “Strong skater, good in transition, plus defender who displays a physical game.”
There is no context which leads me to believe they aren’t actually watching the prospects but instead box score counting.

Edit: I was one of the few very high on Mulhamadullin right from the get go. I’m just not sure he thinks the game well enough or sees the ice well enough in the offensive zone to become a top pair defensmen. He could become a high volume shooter from the point.
Excellent impression of scouting reports.

Edit: I also love the "could see him going anywhere up to (some very high, too high) # pick overall, if he can round out his game"

Reactions: Jason MacIsaac

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

To me the biggest downside he has is always that he struggles in tough situations and tends to not react fast enough to do something about it. Think I saw a couple games where he would face a two on one and just skate backwards between them then end up doing nothing.

Most of that can be covered by having a good D partner and perhaps not using him in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad