LD Shakir Mukhamadullin (2020, 20th, NJD; traded to SJS)

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
No player in his draft was trashed online like Mukhamadullin was. It will be fun if he becomes a good NHLer and Will Scouch and Elite Prospects get their comeuppance.
Hopefully this shows people how stupid it is to follow a single draft analyst opinion on everything and just parrot what they say. I'd ask them have you seen videos of the player and they would say "lol no, But I think a draft analyst knows more about the player then you".

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No player in his draft was trashed online like Mukhamadullin was. It will be fun if he becomes a good NHLer and Will Scouch and Elite Prospects get their comeuppance.
Why was he trashed? I didn't recall much stand-out hate against him but I have been quietly tracking him due to the fact he was the pick the Canucks gave up in the Miller deal (which then went from TBL->NJD). Seems like a typical Russian development curve of playing a few years in the KHL then coming over?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why was he trashed? I didn't recall much stand-out hate against him but I have been quietly tracking him due to the fact he was the pick the Canucks gave up in the Miller deal (which then went from TBL->NJD). Seems like a typical Russian development curve of playing a few years in the KHL then coming over?

Mukh was a forward until a few years before the draft (similar to Dragicevic?) and made a lot of mistakes, looked awkward. The youtube scouts were joking that the only reason nhl scouts liked him was because he was a big defenseman. It became a bit of a meme.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Mukh was a forward until a few years before the draft (similar to Dragicevic?) and made a lot of mistakes, looked awkward. The youtube scouts were joking that the only reason nhl scouts liked him was because he was a big defenseman.
The fact that he's playing serious KHL minutes in his draft year should say enough about what KHL scouts think of him. Not a lot of draft-eligible players get 25+ KHL games, even if they aren't super productive on the scoresheet. Being able to hold your own in the KHL at 18 should be enough evidence even if you never see the guy play.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
1. People assumed that Devils had no plan after Schneider got picked and panic picked Muk
2. I forgot who but one of the big analysts really buried the pick making it sound like he should have been picked after 90-120 range so everyone parroted him and said he was a bad pick

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The fact that he's playing serious KHL minutes in his draft year should say enough about what KHL scouts think of him. Not a lot of draft-eligible players get 25+ KHL games, even if they aren't super productive on the scoresheet. Being able to hold your own in the KHL at 18 should be enough evidence even if you never see the guy play.
The reason the Devils keyed on him was because their scouts were watching Rodion Amirov and all the video they were sending back caused the GM to go "He looks good but who is that young twig defenceman that doesn't look out of place."?

Another thing that caused people to dunk on him was he basically was Russia's only Good Defenceman at World Jr's so they relied on him a lot. Being relied on so heavily caused him to make a couple noticeable gaffes which people took as proof of him being a "bust".

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
1. People assumed that Devils had no plan after Schneider got picked and panic picked Muk
2. I forgot who but one of the big analysts really buried the pick making it sound like he should have been picked after 90-120 range so everyone parroted him and said he was a bad pick

I think it was JD Burke. Pretty sure he had a do not draft on him

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Xirik

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Mukh was a meme long before the draft.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

There was also a tweet that appears to be deleted that was something along the lines that Muhk was a late round pick at best.

———-

Burke coming out so strongly against Muhk definitely led people to feel comfortable trashing the pick/player.

EP then appeared to spend time nitpicking every error Muhk would make to help prove the initial mocking, which led to further consensus that Muhk must be no good.

1 internet video clip is worth more than 20 unseen games on Twitter.

————

Burke has since said he is being proven wrong but if he deleted the tweet I think that means he more wants to sweep it under the rug than admit it.

Last edited:

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City

I recall someone seriously tweeted this, and was shocked at the stupidity of it. Like any half-competent GM would have no backup plan for a player ranked 15th through 20th being picked at 19.

Very true that the Mukh pick took a lot of heat. I'm glad he is doing well.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Hey, Timo had three points against the Jackets last night and Devils fans are proclaiming it as the point when Timo finally takes off as a Devils superstar so.....
Nah we’ve felt that way since the jump. He’s made an impact since day 1, it’s just that the points are starting to pile up.

Anyway, love to see Shak do well. Rooting for him!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Then you missed the Elite Prospects crews’ take on him.

EE4FFAA7-19BA-446B-A8DC-7E03E9F5CCB1.jpeg

I believe this was their first draft guide?
D7BC69B8-262E-44CD-82A2-F8A5E147C7B5.jpeg

Their guide was 129 players and then they had a random group of players they dumped on.

They got rid of this section after one year, presumably realizing it’s a way to look really wrong very quickly.
501C7DBC-0C5D-4585-8741-61EE28E052F0.jpeg
95BDBF8A-BA20-414A-9BF2-621963A1E1B9.jpeg
4175464D-2474-4352-94DC-B4DDE817EB17.jpeg

They saw him play badly at one point with his National team, decided he was the worst player ever, and made fun of a lot on Twitter, etc, because that’s that’s how professionals treat teenage prospects online.

They had to walk that back and became very defensive about being called on the terrible things they said. They frame it as “we all get things wrong about prospects!”, ignoring how they made the kid a punchline for awhile in their little clique.

7AEADBFA-0C06-4B10-B98E-98D1F2786206.jpeg
B1CE00BD-7AA4-4093-98E6-C3718F9ACBAF.jpeg

This 56 out of 109 skaters.

9AF2EBFD-3F99-4596-93C4-F28D52DA9AEE.jpeg
81029D22-1E02-4C41-B83E-D84B2DE14A9E.jpeg

This is 46 out of 300.

The tweet mentions the Draft Analyst rankings but both of these have Muk higher, Steve Kournianos had him at 67 (out of 300).
10E55DAC-003A-4A07-933E-9E1DDDB79173.jpeg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Spewing like a child to scream "THIS IS THE WORST PICK" with glee, what an embarrassment. Some of these people that independently evaluate draft prospects should step back and realize they're talking about teenagers and it's art, not science. People get so sure of their takes and confirmation bias and depending on the setting, groupthink, do the rest of the work. To ever be so sure that a team that some NHL scout deemed worthy of taking in the first round is going to be a bust... that's when you need to step back and consider "maybe I don't know".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad