LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I'm not saying he's not great off the rush. I'm just saying he is not Orr great of the rush. Gretzky like ability on the backend was basically what Orr was.
He's a speedy player but Merkely is easily faster and has better edgework. Other parts of his game are not even close. Makar is another kid who is easily a better skater but doesn't possess the range of other skills. To be Orr he'd have to be a better skater then Karlsson or at least on par. I don't think he's there yet. No that he can't get there but he's just not.
Never said that i agree'd with the comparisons to Orr. Personally, hes Rasmus Dahlin. You can make every comparison there is, but we haven't seen a 17 year old 6'3 defenseman that has the tools he posses before.
Ceiling wise though (which is where i think the Orr comparisons is about.) i really don't know how good he can become, he can legit become as good as he wants. At the start of the season i thought that he had a chance of making a possible world championship team and olympic team. If he keeps on playing like he has, i just don't see him not making it.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Never said that i agree'd with the comparisons to Orr. Personally, hes Rasmus Dahlin. You can make every comparison there is, but we haven't seen a 17 year old 6'3 defenseman that has the tools he posses before.
Ceiling wise though (which is where i think the Orr comparisons is about.) i really don't know how good he can become, he can legit become as good as he wants. At the start of the season i thought that he had a chance of making a possible world championship team and olympic team. If he keeps on playing like he has, i just don't see him not making it.

Dahlin is great and all but the olympics is a bit unrealistic at this point, he's not there yet. I could possibly see him making the WC roster but only if he takes really big steps this season (and the NHL vets decline).

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
No defenceman is going to be half as ahead of his time compared to his peers as Orr was. No defenceman will ever have a similar impact to the game that Orr did. The comparison is hardly sensical given how much the game has changed since Orr played.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Dahlin is great and all but the olympics is a bit unrealistic at this point, he's not there yet. I could possibly see him making the WC roster but only if he takes really big steps this season (and the NHL vets decline).
I sort of agree with that but imo we don't have a defenseman in Europe that can generate the offense that he can, at least that's how i see it. I obviously mean, the olympics without NHLers. Only one i can see in the SHL is Högström.
This is obviously if he continue to play like he did last game, which i doubt. Might just be me being ignorant about our Swedes around Europe.:laugh:

Last edited:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I sort of agree with that but imo we don't have a defenseman in Europe that can generate the offense that he can, at least that's how i see it. I obviously mean, the olympics without NHLers. Only one i can see in the SHL is Högström.
This is obviously if he continue to play like he did last game, which i doubt. Might just be me being ignorant about our Swedes around Europe.:laugh:

Hersley?

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
I don't know, I kind of see McDavid when he plays but with less speed and more of an edge. To me, they play pretty similar.

Mar 14, 2015
Orr this and Orr that, it is like 38 years ago he stopped playing and dont get the comparison. Hockey has changed alot..

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
That's just not correct without the NHLrs the World Championships is a better tournament than the Olympics even if herpderp euros like Lindström and Ericsson accept invitations which no one actually cares about.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That's just not correct without the NHLrs the World Championships is a better tournament than the Olympics even if herpderp euros like Lindström and Ericsson accept invitations which no one actually cares about.

We'll see. I don't see many Euro guys playing both Olympics and WC. It's also very unlikely the WC team will consist of a ton of NHL players after being so stacked this year.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg

Campus

Dec 15, 2016
Reactions: Aahlstroem

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Hersley is no doubt better, but he can't generate the offense on the same level as Dahlin. Dahlin can create something out of absolutely nothing with his excellent skating, vision, hands etc. While Hersleys shot is a wonder, he's not really a PMD.
Only contenders is probably Erik Gustafsson, Rundblad, Tömmernäs and Högström but i don't know how good Rundblad and Gustafsson are these days.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
We'll see. I don't see many Euro guys playing both Olympics and WC. It's also very unlikely the WC team will consist of a ton of NHL players after being so stacked this year.
They'll still get maybe 5 best on best calibre players and most of the best Euros, which will clearly be a lot better than the travesty with Robert Nilsson and Patrik Hersley as key players we will have now. Because I think the reality of the situation is sinking in on the players aswell, they understand that the people are going to care far less about the tournament when the best players aren't going to be there anymore, thus making the world championships more valuable. I mean they will have to realize at some point that this years olympic gold isn't worth all that much more than a first place in the EHT.

Last edited:

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Geez, an Olympic gold is still an Olympic gold. Doesn't matter if it's in powerwalking, still an Olympic gold. A Olympic gold in 100 min sprint isn't worth more than one in powerwalking.
Highly arguable since some sports are a lot more prestigeful and has higher star power than others. Tell someone you have an olympic gold and then say 100m sprint or modern pentathlon. Most people won't even know what you won in the second case (and probably won't even have heard of your victory) while you will be one of the most talked about athletes in the world after the 100m gold. But regardless, I think an olympic gold in hockey is something a lot of people dream about growing up in Sweden. Always such massive hype before those tournaments and people just get up and watch every game regardless of time of the day. And I mean.... who would not like to be there during the ceremonies, live in the olympic village and all of that.

On topic:
He has looked very good the last couple of games after a bit of a slump. It is visible that he wants and is working on improving his defensive game and I truly think he could be very good in both ends by the time he plays his first NHL game. Obviously no slouch in the D zone now either, but it can always get better.
And man... the way he walks through entire teams from time to time just makes me drool a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad