Dec 15, 2016
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

My first attempt to make gifs...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Who is Dahlin's NHL comparable?
There isn't one, he plays a pretty unique game. Some of the moves he can pull are similar to Karlsson, but he's bigger and plays a more physical game, but lacks the explosiveness of Karlsson, and probably Karlsson's vision.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who is Dahlin's NHL comparable?

I'd say a more physical version of Karlsson with a bit more defensive ability at the same age. So Lidstrom with more offence but more physical. Wait but... no one. No one compares.

Bobby Orr

Outside of the fact they both can generate offence they don't really play the game anything alike.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Outside of the fact they both can generate offence they don't really play the game anything alike.

So outside of half the game (offensive), they don't play anything alike? ;)

I've said this a few times. The way they can control the play, make such high skill plays from the backend, stickhandle through a whole team, along with play a good defensive game is similar. Its not exact, I didn't say it was, but its similar.

The comparison to Karlsson isn't that alike, maybe offensively, but everything other than offense, I don't think there are many similarities. I don't think every good offensive player from the back end needs to be compared to Karlsson. I think Adam Boqvist plays a lot more like Karlsson than Dahlin.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I've said this a few times. The way they can control the play, make such high skill plays from the backend, stickhandle through a whole team, along with play a good defensive game is similar. Its not exact, I didn't say it was, but its similar.

The comparison to Karlsson isn't that alike, maybe offensively, but everything other than offense, I don't think there are many similarities. I don't think every good offensive player from the back end needs to be compared to Karlsson. I think Adam Boqvist plays a lot more like Karlsson than Dahlin.
Except Orr was the best skating and most explosive skating defender of his era. Dahlin isn't even the most explosive skating defenceman in his draft class or even Swede eligible for the WJC team. That is a very major difference between the two, that sort of limits how comparable they are.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Except Orr was the best skating and most explosive skating defender of his era. Dahlin isn't even the most explosive skating defenceman in his draft class or even Swede eligible for the WJC team. That is a very major difference between the two, that sort of limits how comparable they are.

Ovechkin is a much better skater than Laine, didn't stop those comparisons. Crosby has a much better shot than McDavid, didn't stop those comparisons.

Reactions: Iceman

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ovechkin is a much better skater than Laine, didn't stop those comparisons. Crosby has a much better shot than McDavid, didn't stop those comparisons.
And those weren't good comparrisons either. Just because people slacked on those ones, doesn't mean this one is quality one. I constantly had problems with the Laine to Mario ones, and I think this one is equally far reaching.

I think McDavid was compared to Crosby more as the level of his prospect he was, not his actual play-style. Most of the time I remember comparrisons to his Bure-esque skating and explosiveness. Which was a comparable trait.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

His skating isn't even in the same stratosphere as Orr. That alone discounts it completely.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Literally the only thing people compared between them was where the liked to shoot on the PP.

You sure about that? You posted in this forum, and you really think the only comparisons between Laine and Ovechkin were about shooting on the PP?

I'd use the search function if this website didn't pretty much get rid of it to find the Laine/Ovechkin comparisons, but I think you very well know they were compared a lot.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You sure about that? You posted in this forum, and you really think the only comparisons between Laine and Ovechkin were about shooting on the PP?

I'd use the search function if this website didn't pretty much get rid of it to find the Laine/Ovechkin comparisons, but I think you very well know they were compared a lot.

On what?
Their speed? Nope
Their passing? Nope
Their acceleration? Nope
The way they generate of the rush? Nope
The way they defend? Nope
Their physicality? Nope
The way they generate shots? Nope

Anyone who compared them was as out to lunch as your Orr to Dahlin comparison.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
On what?
Their speed? Nope
Their passing? Nope
Their acceleration? Nope
The way they generate of the rush? Nope
The way they defend? Nope
Their physicality? Nope
The way they generate shots? Nope

Anyone who compared them was as out to lunch as your Orr to Dahlin comparison.
On the fact that they're likely going to be the best goal scorers of their generations respectively.

Dahlin last night was just something to behold, didn't catch his defense but every time he's on the ice something seemed to happen. I swear every time he starts gathering speed from his own goal line you just can't stop him, he had another sequences in the OT where he just went through the whole defense and one where he got a breakaway.

I just can not not see it, but am i the only one who thinks Dahlins speed from last year has improved by a lot?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
On the fact that they're likely going to be the best goal scorers of their generations respectively.

Dahlin last night was just something to behold, didn't catch his defense but every time he's on the ice something seemed to happen. I swear every time he starts gathering speed from his own goal line you just can't stop him, he had another sequences in the OT where he just went through the whole defense and one where he got a breakaway.

I just can not not see it, but am i the only one who thinks Dahlins speed from last year has improved by a lot?

I'm not saying he's not great off the rush. I'm just saying he is not Orr great of the rush. Gretzky like ability on the backend was basically what Orr was.
He's a speedy player but Merkely is easily faster and has better edgework. Other parts of his game are not even close. Makar is another kid who is easily a better skater but doesn't possess the range of other skills. To be Orr he'd have to be a better skater then Karlsson or at least on par. I don't think he's there yet. No that he can't get there but he's just not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad