LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And you know.. your top goal scorer Zibanejad ;)

And I agree Dahlin to Rangers would be sick

Wow, I'm an idiot. Disregard everything I just said. :facepalm:

I knew I was forgetting someone. Ziba's my boy, just wish our idiot coach would put him back with his regular line mates. I've not noticed him at all recently because of it, probably why I forgot about him.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Geez, an Olympic gold is still an Olympic gold. Doesn't matter if it's in powerwalking, still an Olympic gold. A Olympic gold in 100 min sprint isn't worth more than one in powerwalking.

Sure it's still an Olympic gold but it's worth as much as winning the Euro hockey tour. Let me ask you this: What is a mens gold medal in soccer in the olympic games worth compared to a gold medal in the world championships, or even the european championships for that matter?

Sorry for the Off-Topic discussion.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I wouldn't call Dahlin much more skilled than Matthews. Perhaps on the same level, but Matthews is one of the biggest talents the past decade.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Sure it's still an Olympic gold but it's worth as much as winning the Euro hockey tour. Let me ask you this: What is a mens gold medal in soccer in the olympic games worth compared to a gold medal in the world championships, or even the european championships for that matter?

A gold medal at the olympics in FOOTBALL isnt that of a big deal. If, however, Sweden would win the FIFA world cup (wont happen in a million years) it would triumph everything in swedish sports history

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
The hype is certainly through the roof, never seen anything like this for an Euro prospect.

When have you started following hockey? It seems like a lot of new people here didn't follow hockey in early 2000s. Ovechkin was BY FAR the most hyped prospect from Europe. Scouts were comparing him to Lemieux, he was talked about as the 1st overall pick already back in 2001-2002. And that was when the media wasn't as strong as nowadays

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
A gold medal at the olympics in FOOTBALL isnt that of a big deal. If, however, Sweden would win the FIFA world cup (wont happen in a million years) it would triumph everything in swedish sports history

Exactly, and there you have my point.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden

Still not the same thing but i totally get what your saying.
This is likely going to be one of only times the NHL isn't going to participate since the IOC(IIRC) will realize that they need to pay up in order to give quality entertainment, thus making it one of the few times guys outside of the NHL will have a chance of winning it. At least that's how i see it, but i get your stand point. It's likely not going to be on par quality wise as the other tournaments meaning that it might not mean a lot quality wise, but a gold is a gold. And it will mean a lot for these guys. But back to Dahlin.

Last few games he's really been looking like an elite defenseman in the SHL, he's just in short unbelieveable.
The scariest thing to speculate is if this is his peak in the SHL or if he can raise it even further, especially seeing how he's always improved the more games he plays and the further the season goes.
Really hope Luleå makes it to the playoffs and face Frölunda so i AT LEAST get 2 plus more games to watch him live. (Luleå gets swept in 4 likely.)

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I don't know about style, but Dahlin playing in a huge market like Montreal would be insane.
We all know about the hype that Matthews get by playing in Toronto, but Dahlin who's much more skilled and a highlight real machine would be crazy hyped in Montreal.

Also he would be playing with Weber (just like Mete is doing this year), and in front of Price, and that's basically a green light for him to do whatever he wants without worrying about the mistakes.

As a fan of no particular team I'd love if Dahlin ended up in Montreal. There haven't been any Swedes of note in Montreal since Mats Näslund.

Don't know about the timing though. Despite their struggles Montreal are built for contending right now, and not for doing it in 4-5 years, which is when Dahlin will start being an impact player at the NHL level.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
When have you started following hockey? It seems like a lot of new people here didn't follow hockey in early 2000s. Ovechkin was BY FAR the most hyped prospect from Europe. Scouts were comparing him to Lemieux, he was talked about as the 1st overall pick already back in 2001-2002. And that was when the media wasn't as strong as nowadays

Ya the Ovechkin/Malkin combo was a massive thing.

Hedman wasn't much different than this either.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
He looks like Kenny Jonsson visually. Can he be compared to him playing wise as well? Please remember that Kenny Jonsson was a monster defender and just got to many concussions ala Pronger.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I dont think we should compare a C with a defenceman, even if Dahlin is a pretty offensive defenceman. Different skillsets.

But if you still want to:

Matthews and McDavid is already so sucessfull it comes across like hyperbole to compare Rasmus Dahlin to those two. Rasmus has still to prove himself in the NHL.

RD do have looked better and better, and is getting a lot of condfidence from Frölunda, which shows that he is getting physically fit for senior level hockey. He will probably be thrown into the NHL heat already next year.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
In the mid 2000s. For yeah I might have just missed the hype, but I put Russian prospects and Euro prospects in different categories in that post; that's why I excluded Ovechkin.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Played a very unspectacular game but imo solid, was by far Frölundas best defenseman which doesn't say much since they were painful to watch.
Logged a ton of minutes towards the end of the game, felt like he was on the ice every 2nd line change.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
He looks like Kenny Jonsson visually. Can he be compared to him playing wise as well? Please remember that Kenny Jonsson was a monster defender and just got to many concussions ala Pronger.

I think he'll grow into an even better and even uglier player than Kenny was. Kenny's acne had generational longevity though.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Played a very unspectacular game but imo solid, was by far Frölundas best defenseman which doesn't say much since they were painful to watch.
Logged a ton of minutes towards the end of the game, felt like he was on the ice every 2nd line change.
No minus in a 4 goal loss atleast

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Very interesting situation for Dahlin at the moment. He is improving especially in his own zone and looks so much stronger. Im starting to think that if he play good in this tournament and continue to progress that the Olympic-team are not that far away for him.

Could be a long season for him doing both the regular season, playoffs, national team tournaments, WJC and also possibly the Olympics.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very interesting situation for Dahlin at the moment. He is improving especially in his own zone and looks so much stronger. Im starting to think that if he play good in this tournament and continue to progress that the Olympic-team are not that far away for him.

Could be a long season for him doing both the regular season, playoffs, national team tournaments, WJC and also possibly the Olympics.

WJC18 also? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad