LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Regardless of OEL, the Coyotes need talent and skill more than anything. If they think he’s the best player on the board at their pick, they’ll take him.

Also, there’s a 0% chance OEL leaves. He’s absolutely re-signing this summer. Max term deal at around 8 million per year on average.

But that doesn’t matter. You take BPA.

Even if we’ve got OEL, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Chychrun, POJ, Capobianco, and Cam Dineen who are all LHS D. What’s the worst that will happen? They all play great and boost their trade value? A bunch don’t turn out and we end up relieved that we have a large pool to draw from?

Always BPA.

hmmm, this sounds like a bet needs to be made???? lol

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I promise John Chayka doesn’t care even a little bit that Keith Tkachuk was a Coyote 20 years ago. Chayka was in 3rd grade at the time. Literally. The Tkachuk “name” is no selling point in Phoenix. He was a star player but known as much for hold outs and me first atttidue as he was for anything else, and nobody remembers anyway. It’s ancient history and it’s been mostly misery for the Coyotes anyway. No warm and fuzzies.
exactly, and besides, the 6 ushers, 8 beer vendors, 3 floor sweepers, 1 Zamboni driver, and the 300 transplants from Canada that attend Yotes game have no clue about big Walt and his kids!! (typical cheap shot heard from our friends up North) sorry....sorry.....sorry....I will go away in shame now lol!!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
exactly, and besides, the 6 ushers, 8 beer vendors, 3 floor sweepers, 1 Zamboni driver, and the 300 transplants from Canada that attend Yotes game have no clue about big Walt and his kids!! (typical cheap shot heard from our friends up North) sorry....sorry.....sorry....I will go away in shame now lol!!
There’s a little truth there, though. It’s not the kind of market that cares enough about hockey to buy into sub plots. If they’re winning playoff rounds, the city will notice. If they’re not winning playoff rounds, it’s the crickets you described. Pick the best prospect, win the most games. That’s all that matters.

Reactions: AmericanDream

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
That's the guy I want at #3 for Montreal. Forget about Zadina, this kid will be one of the best D in a few years.

Speed, Agility, Hockey IQ and playmaking are all at elite levels.

I have him at 4th myself, and it's tempting to take him as LD is more of a need than wing but BPA Zadina should be the pick imo

hradekbr

Apr 19, 2017
As a Wings fan he’s the only player I truly want at 6. I’d be fine with Boqvist or Bouchard, but Quinn to me is right there with Svechnikov and Zadina talent wise.

The times I’ve seen him live this year, whether it be in Buffalo or Ann Arbor, he was so clearly always the most dynamic player on the ice. His skating makes my jaw drop countless times per game. No team in the NHL needs a player like him more than the Wings. We wouldn’t be averaging 17.3 icings/60 min (by far worst in the league) with someone like him on our blue line who’s essentially a one man zone exit machine.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
As a Wings fan he’s the only player I truly want at 6. I’d be fine with Boqvist or Bouchard, but Quinn to me is right there with Svechnikov and Zadina talent wise.

The times I’ve seen him live this year, whether it be in Buffalo or Ann Arbor, he was so clearly always the most dynamic player on the ice. His skating makes my jaw drop countless times per game. No team in the NHL needs a player like him more than the Wings. We wouldn’t be averaging 17.3 icings/60 min (by far worst in the league) with someone like him on our blue line who’s essentially a one man zone exit machine.
I could argue that as a Hab fan lol..... But I agree, he's right up there with Zadina.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018

Very much agree that he would help the Wings tremendously. I would love to see Hughes on the Wings but I think his play in the WC is making it hard for him to stay on the board until #6 :(

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Anyone see young Phil Housley in Quinn Hughes? - i see -

A little bit, yes. But Hughes is better positionally in his own end than a young Housley. Houghes' style is very Brian Leetch ish. I'm not saying he'll be half as great as Leetch (up there with Chelios as the greatest American defenseman of all-time) but Hughes reminds me, stylistically, as a young Leetch. Whoever drafts him will be very happy in the coming years.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If he was just a few inches taller he'd legit be in the mix with Dahlin for 1st overall.

He's not though, Dahlin is going to be able to go against the Crosby's and McDavid's of the world, I highly doubt Quinn Hughes will ever be that guy. Offensively they may put up similar production though.

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Ay...but today's hockey is changing, really fast.
-the inches game is the past.

Oh I agree, size is very overrated for the most part and that view is changing, more so with some teams than others. But there are still undeniable physical limitations to being that small and it's the reason why he won't be considered over Dahlin. If they switched bodies it'd be Hughes going 1st and Dahlin in the 3-6 range.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Oh I agree, size is very overrated for the most part and that view is changing, more so with some teams than others. But there are still undeniable physical limitations to being that small and it's the reason why he won't be considered over Dahlin. If they switched bodies it'd be Hughes going 1st and Dahlin in the 3-6 range.

Dahlin dominated defensively at the world juniors and it had little to do with his size, he's a significantly better hockey player right now. It's not even up for debate, it's a silly argument because he doesn't have Dahlin size. It's not like Dahlin is a man child like Ekblad was either, he's still a bean pole himself.

Reactions: Acadien86

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Dahlin dominated defensively at the world juniors and it had little to do with his size, he's a significantly better hockey player right now. It's not even up for debate, it's a silly argument because he doesn't have Dahlin size. It's not like Dahlin is a man child like Ekblad was either, he's still a bean pole himself.

6-2 190 vs 5-9 170. That's a huge difference. Hughes has limitations defending that Dahlin does not have such as a longer reach/larger area he's able to defend, ability to consistently win 1 on 1 puck battles, ability to physically take someone out of the play/box out. These are Hughes' concerns and they are solely because of his size. They are pretty important traits for a guy you want to be your 1D. Mentally, how they process the game at both ends, there is no separation between Dahlin and Hughes imo

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig