LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He is next to impossible to forecheck consistently. He is too quick and is really good when in tight spaces. You don't see him get hit that often, because his edge work, speed and hockey IQ keep him clean consistently. He thinks the game at a high level and plays at an incredibly high pace. I think the game speeding up and his teammates moving faster is going to help Hughes more than hurt him. Special player to be sure.
It is simply crazy to see how far this kid has come to practically being scratched at the WJC to making this team and excelling in a bit of a sheltered role. He has proven like you stated that when he messes up, he can get back and stop an odd man rush or quality shot attempt with his speed and crazy stick work.

His play away from the puck has been IMO, next to Murphy the best of the group. I have no fears with him on the ice right now in whatever situation, and I think that is a testament obviously to his skill but to the staff as well for putting him in positions to succeed.

If the US gets another dman like Miller or Baun from the latests exits, have to imagine Hughes is the odd man out, and was probably told this as well...but from what I have seen so far, he has played really well on both sides of the puck and has generated a lot of chances from the point on our power play when Butcher isn't out there.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Its clear i am not a fan on him in the top 3 D
in this draft
the thing that keeps him out is that he stops short in the corners
is it being scared or just setting himself up to react better i dont know

fact: but take most any 1st round D and frankly are doing the exact same in the WC

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
They won’t but I wouldn’t mind that
You don't think they would consider taking him?

Apparently the habs loved Keller a couple years ago and to me he's the D version of Keller, if that makes any sense. Anyway, you might be right but who knows. Personally, I think he will be more impactful than Zadina in the NHL.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
You don't think they would consider taking him?

Apparently the habs loved Keller a couple years ago and to me he's the D version of Keller, if that makes any sense. Anyway, you might be right but who knows. Personally, I think he will be more impactful than Zadina in the NHL.
No I don’t. I just see the Habs going consensus BPA instead of reaching for an undersized LD, even though I really like him.

Reactions: Acadien86

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No I don’t. I just see the Habs going consensus BPA instead of reaching for an undersized LD, even though I really like him.
It's possible. Hughes has been raising his draft stock a lot, but you're right that a lot of GMs like to play it safe.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Karlsson was scoring 70 points when he was a bone thin youngster who looked like he was 12 years old. He also broke the mold and shifted some stubborn perceptions that small, offensive-minded defenders couldn't be #1's on their team. With more offense being generated from the point these days, look for more players like Hughes, Boqvist, Brannstrom, etc. to shine in the NHL.

Karlsson a career 49% GF at ES. A lot of production, a sieve on D.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's possible. Hughes has been raising his draft stock a lot, but you're right that a lot of GMs like to play it safe.

Should be interesting to see McKenzie's revised draft list. In the last one that came out a few week ago he had Hughes locked in as the consensus #9(saying the 4 guys ahead of him were interchangeable, while there was a clear divide between 9 and 10)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
how good is he defensively ?

He's made great strides since early season at Michigan until now. His adaptation and improvement in that area in particular is what has impressed me the most over the course of multiple viewings since October.

Skating is great, which helps him transition back, and catch rushes in a hurry. Also helps with gap control. His stick work is also great, so he’s good and breaking things up defensively.

He’s a rover, though. He gambles a lot. So there are positioning concerns. I’d say he really stands apart from Boqvist and Merkley in his ability to recover from blown positioning and mitigate chances despite him not being where he needed to be initially. He covers his own mistakes really well, in a way I haven’t seen from the other D.

To build on what you posted: He's also shown an ability to leverage under bigger players to take pucks away and then escape. His body positioning detail has improved from early year viewings. Yes, in 50-50's where it's a pushing and shoving match, he's going to have issues with big forwards, but his ability to get under them and escape is going to surprise people as not an occasional thing.

For a player I didn't care for in October, he's probably my favorite prospect in this whole draft now. I don't want to like him, but the kid just does so much that makes me sit up and take notice -- and not just with the puck on his stick -- that I like him a lot.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I'm not sure where Hughes ends up but the kid has elite skills in certain areas. His skating is elite. His hands are great. His IQ is outstanding. He's a one man breakout.

His propensity for taking chances is something that bothers me. He's definitely gonna cost his team some goals.

In college, where he's the youngest kid in the NCAA, he stands out. You're now putting him in an NHL tournament. That's tough for any player.

Reactions: AmericanDream

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I wouldnt put too much stock in a short tourny like this w. Bigger ice.

Will Hughes be able to handle the smaller rink in NA where he will ahve less time and space to skate and maneuver. He will also get forechecked and hit a lot more.

The big ice is ideal for a player like Hughes but it doesnt.always translate to the NHL

Well considering he won’t be 18 forever and will be playing against lower quality teams in the NHL than he did against Canada (where he looked good) I would tend to think he’ll be fine. 5’10 is short but his skating gives him the ability to escape pressure and keep a tight gap on players.

The fact that he looks as good as he does at age 18 at this level blows me away.

Reactions: bert and Index

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's made great strides since early season at Michigan until now. His adaptation and improvement in that area in particular is what has impressed me the most over the course of multiple viewings since October.

To build on what you posted: He's also shown an ability to leverage under bigger players to take pucks away and then escape. His body positioning detail has improved from early year viewings. Yes, in 50-50's where it's a pushing and shoving match, he's going to have issues with big forwards, but his ability to get under them and escape is going to surprise people as not an occasional thing.

For a player I didn't care for in October, he's probably my favorite prospect in this whole draft now. I don't want to like him, but the kid just does so much that makes me sit up and take notice -- and not just with the puck on his stick -- that I like him a lot.
Exactly. I look at a 5’10 LHS D and as a Yotes fan (LHS D = OEL, Chychrun, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, POJ, etc) inimmediately want to look away. Not on my radar. Then I saw him play...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Exactly. I look at a 5’10 LHS D and as a Yotes fan (LHS D = OEL, Chychrun, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, POJ, etc) inimmediately want to look away. Not on my radar. Then I saw him play...
Watched him play he is undoubtedly number 4 on my list. I know the sens won't pick him so I'm praying the habs do and Zadina slides down.

His poise out there, strength, edgework, vision and skating for an 18 year old defenseman is superb. If he slips in the draft some team will be very lucky. He is exactly the type of player you build around with the way the NHL is going.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
He's in the same tier as Svech and Dahlin. If he doesn't get drafted at #3, every re-draft in the next few years will.
I wouldn't say the same tier as Dahlin. Just my opinion.. but up there with Svech, yes. His skating is absolutely outstanding imho.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
There is no way the Habs are taking Hughes instead of Zadina. What's up with all the fans from other teams saying Habs should draft a defenseman instead of Zadina? Don't get me wrong, Hughes is a hell of a prospect, but Zadina has been in the top 3 for most of the year and I just don't see how it could change. A team should not draft for need in the top 3, but it appears Montreal needs scoring and there is 2 scorers in the top 3.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There is no way the Habs are taking Hughes instead of Zadina. What's up with all the fans from other teams saying Habs should draft a defenseman instead of Zadina? Don't get me wrong, Hughes is a hell of a prospect, but Zadina has been in the top 3 for most of the year and I just don't see how it could change. A team should not draft for need in the top 3, but it appears Montreal needs scoring and there is 2 scorers in the top 3.

Pujujarvi was in the top 3 all years and Columbus take Dubois and I think it's fair to say that it was a good pick

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Pujujarvi was in the top 3 all years and Columbus take Dubois and I think it's fair to say that it was a good pick

Dubois was a riser, had a great 2nd half. Hughes and him do not compare at all.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thomas Chabot used to have a beer league muffin of a shot. Now it’s just below average haha.

There are some things you can’t develop, but a shot can definintely be improved with technique and strength.
9 goals and 27 points in 60 games isnt that bad as a rookie..I never had him as a big shooter,but more as a creative playmaking defender that has elite mobilty....He is going to really start turning heads next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad