LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
6-2 190 vs 5-9 170. That's a huge difference. Hughes has limitations defending that Dahlin does not have such as a longer reach/larger area he's able to defend, ability to consistently win 1 on 1 puck battles, ability to physically take someone out of the play/box out. These are Hughes' concerns and they are solely because of his size. They are pretty important traits for a guy you want to be your 1D. Mentally, how they process the game at both ends, there is no separation between Dahlin and Hughes imo

But it’s a pointless debate. He’s 5-9, he’s never going to have the size that Dahlin has. If Lebron James was 6-2 he wouldn’t be Lebron James, size doesn’t matter even close to as much as it used to, but it’s still important for a defender to have the size to handle the bigger skilled forwards.

Is Quinn Hughes going to be able to shut down Wheeler, Scheifele and Laine at 5-9? I highly doubt that.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Dahlin dominated defensively at the world juniors and it had little to do with his size, he's a significantly better hockey player right now. It's not even up for debate, it's a silly argument because he doesn't have Dahlin size. It's not like Dahlin is a man child like Ekblad was either, he's still a bean pole himself.

Worlds >>> World Juniors

I think Hughes is better now, the future is a different matter.
There's the age difference, Hughes is ahead in development.
- also, every single Swede develops slower vs other nationalities,
its a proven fact, why Dahlin be any different?

Not playing at the worlds, because his body isn't ready for this level of hockey yet
didn't dominate the ice as a d-man in the SHL, was far away from best d-man,
played really well (most of the time) but, didn't dominate, didn't play the way of the hype.

Hughes is playing at the worlds and everyone can see how really well he has played so far,
his role has grown (from 7th to 6th) so, we can all see him play even more so from now on.

Like McAvoy was NHL ready, is Hughes, Dahlin is not.

Now obviously, these are all my opinions and my opinions only :)

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Worlds >>> World Juniors

Not playing at the worlds, because his body isn't ready for this level of hockey yet
played really well (most of the time) but, didn't dominate, didn't play the way of the hype.

Hughes is playing at the worlds and everyone can see how really well he has played so far,
his role has grown (from 7th to 6th) so, we can all see him play even more so from now on.

Dahlin not NHL ready??? Wow... I'm a huge fan of Hughes but common man, Dahlin is the superior player.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Worlds >>> World Juniors

Bolded is absolutely ridiculous lmao. Wtf even is this post? It's just a bunch of nonsensical blabber. And Dahlin isn't playing in the Worlds because he himself chose not to. And he doesn't have to play in the Worlds since he's already the undisputed #1 pick, he doesn't have as much to gain there as Hughes.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
But it’s a pointless debate. He’s 5-9, he’s never going to have the size that Dahlin has. If Lebron James was 6-2 he wouldn’t be Lebron James, size doesn’t matter even close to as much as it used to, but it’s still important for a defender to have the size to handle the bigger skilled forwards.

Is Quinn Hughes going to be able to shut down Wheeler, Scheifele and Laine at 5-9? I highly doubt that.

you're underrating how much his speed will help him.

He's going to be one of the best overall skaters in the NHL and it's going to help him break up a lot of plays.

Size helps, but you don't have to have it to be a great defensive player. Hockey Iq, a good stick and skating are all more important.

Things Hughes has in spades.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Bolded is absolutely ridiculous lmao. Wtf even is this post? It's just a bunch of nonsensical blabber. And Dahlin isn't playing in the Worlds because he himself chose not to. And he doesn't have to play in the Worlds since he's already the undisputed #1 pick, he doesn't have as much to gain there as Hughes.

Have you ever seen even one 18,19,20 year old Swedish d-man rocking the NHL, i haven't.

BTW. after you calm down, you can see that my post was not attack on you,your people, nor your country,
everyone can look at the Swedes age when they have made it, made it big in the NHL.
- that's not a bad, negative thing

Reactions: Ippenator

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
giphy.gif

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Have you ever seen even one 18,19,20 year old Swedish d-man rocking the NHL, i haven't.

BTW. after you calm down, you can see that my post was not attack on you,your people, nor your country,
everyone can look at the Swedes age when they have made it, made it big in the NHL.
So it's not just about making the league now, as any player in any position (you didn't mention it being about defensemen), it's also about "rocking" the league. What even is your definition of "rocking"? Very few defensemen, regardless of nationality, are able to step into the league at the age of 18 or even 19 and instantly be dominant. But it seems to you like there are loads of these. Could you please mention a few? Defensemen also generally takes longer to develop and reach their peak, especially two-way defensemen, this is a "PROVEN FACT" as you so ridiculously put it.

Seth Jones is one of the most talented defensemen we've seen the last couple of drafts. It took him a couple of years to really show off that potential of his. I guess he wouldn't even be at that level right now if he was swedish? If he was finnish, maybe he'd be somewhere in between? Man all the Canucks fans bashing Juolevi are lucky that he isn't swedish at least!

Have you ever seen even one 18,19,20 year old finnish d-man rocking the NHL, i haven't.

As for Dahlin, he will be the 2nd swedish player in the history of the NHL to go 1st overall after Mats Sundin. I guess talent level and NHL-readiness has nothing to do with whether you make the league at the age of 18 or at the age of 25. Dahlin will go 1st overall because he's immensely talented, and because he's ready to step into the NHL right away. Most 1st overall picks are.

Your post screams anti-swede agenda which would hardly be a 1st among you finns. Your post are based on pretty much nothing but assumptions,generalizations and made up "facts".

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Watched the game between USA and Finland. What really struck me is how Hughes was always making the right play, in the offensive zone or the defensive zone. His speed allows him to get in the right position quickly, and his head is always up, which I think will translate well. Also, he releases his passes in a heart-beat, and they always find an open man.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I highly suggest you take ten minutes out of your day to google 'logical fallacies'.

It would help you to understand the faults in your 'opinions'.

Reactions: JimboA

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I watched Hughes and Dahlin last summer at the showcase. Hughes impressed me more. That's nothing against Dahlin every scout has him as the best Swede since Lidstrom. Might prove to be true. He seems like a good kid and has tons of talent. Using the eye test from last summer I think Hughes will be better than Dahlin and his brother Jack who will probably be the overall number 1 next season. Scouts have been wrong before and so have I...lol Good luck to both players.

I think the best player next year is the Finn Kaapo Kakko. Time will tell.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I watched Hughes and Dahlin last summer at the showcase. Hughes impressed me more. That's nothing against Dahlin every scout has him as the best Swede since Lidstrom. Might prove to be true. He seems like a good kid and has tons of talent. Using the eye test from last summer I think Hughes will be better than Dahlin and his brother Jack who will probably be the overall number 1 next season. Scouts have been wrong before and so have I...lol Good luck to both players.

I think the best player next year is the Finn Kaapo Kakko. Time will tell.

Quinn Hughes is definitely not better then Rasmus Dahlin, sorry but this World Championship doesn’t move the needle.

Hughes will probably have a Brian Campbell type impact in the NHL while Dahlin is more like a Drew Doughty. They put up similar numbers, but one is significantly more impactful.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Quinn Hughes is definitely not better then Rasmus Dahlin, sorry but this World Championship doesn’t move the needle.

Hughes will probably have a Brian Campbell type impact in the NHL while Dahlin is more like a Drew Doughty. They put up similar numbers, but one is significantly more impactful.

Agree. We just don't agree on which one.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Brodin was a first pairing with Suter as a 19yo.

Reactions: Chainshot

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Brodin was a first pairing with Suter as a 19yo.

And how did he play? Did he score 10-15 goals, 50+ points, was he best d-man of his team,
defensively&offensively. Won the Norris perhaps, how about Calder.

He is 25 and still hasn't "made it", it's not like he is elite or anything
not in the NHL nor for Wild.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m a huge Hughes fan, but come on, let’s not compare him to Dahlin. Hughes is great, but Dahlin is a legit generational D prospect. These comments will age no better than the “Eichel > McDavid” comments from their draft seasons.

Before the Worlds, I figured Hughes should be a contender for 3rd overall. Not much has changed for me since, I still have him ranked there. He’s been very impressive at the Worlds, but he’s been similarly impressive all year in Michigan.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And how did he play? Did he score 10-15 goals, 50+ points, was he best d-man of his team,
defensively&offensively. Won the Norris perhaps, how about Calder.

He is 25 and still hasn't "made it", it's not like he is elite or anything
not in the NHL nor for Wild.
moving goalposts, i see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad