LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Thomas Chabot used to have a beer league muffin of a shot. Now it’s just below average haha.

There are some things you can’t develop, but a shot can definintely be improved with technique and strength.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Their game is very different. The reason Keith got brought up is cause someone said to name a small D who sucks at shooting and is good. That's Duncan Keith. He's got only an inch or two on Hughes and he's awful at shooting. His shot is pretty strong, but as you noted, terribly inaccurate. Hughes actually has a way higher ceiling than Keith and be a proper PPQB.

I hope you didn’t just say, Hughes has more potential that Duncan Keith... aka a two time Norris and former Conn Smythe winter.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
LOL- I thought about that too. I was thinking he meant a way higher ceiling than Keith had as a prospect or that Hughes has a way higher ceiling for being a PP QB than Keith.
Both of those. Hughes is obviously going to be better as a PPQB and when Keith was a prospect, nobody expected him to develop the way he did. At 18 years old, Hughes is the much more promising prospect which is why he'll be a top 10 pick and Keith was a second rounder.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Everyone said Hughes can't defend but I watched him in the Canada game. He back checked really hard and played a solid defensive game. On the offensive side, he was always transporting the puck out of his own zone and his wheels looked great. Hughes has done nothing but improve his draft stock. I think he goes no later than the 4th pick. Hell, I'd take him at 3.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Everyone said Hughes can't defend but I watched him in the Canada game. He back checked really hard and played a solid defensive game. On the offensive side, he was always transporting the puck out of his own zone and his wheels looked great. Hughes has done nothing but improve his draft stock. I think he goes no later than the 4th pick. Hell, I'd take him at 3.
He's my pick at 3 for the Habs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
another strong game for the kid, this showing is definitely helping his draft cause...I can't see him dropping out of the top 5, he looks like he belongs against NHL competition/pro players...he is settling into his role, has a few ups and downs, but overall he has been solid on both sides of the puck...I was hoping for a full-time NHL blue line, but happy the kid is here, he has played extremely well.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
another strong game for the kid, this showing is definitely helping his draft cause...I can't see him dropping out of the top 5, he looks like he belongs against NHL competition/pro players...he is settling into his role, has a few ups and downs, but overall he has been solid on both sides of the puck...I was hoping for a full-time NHL blue line, but happy the kid is here, he has played extremely well.

I wouldnt put too much stock in a short tourny like this w. Bigger ice.

Will Hughes be able to handle the smaller rink in NA where he will ahve less time and space to skate and maneuver. He will also get forechecked and hit a lot more.

The big ice is ideal for a player like Hughes but it doesnt.always translate to the NHL

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Will Hughes be able to handle the smaller rink in NA where he will ahve less time and space to skate and maneuver. He will also get forechecked and hit a lot more.

The big ice is ideal for a player like Hughes but it doesnt.always translate to the NHL

He was the youngest player in the NCAA and would often toy with players on the small ice.

So whatever thing you want to put your stock in, he comes out flying.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

he performed more than fine the entire year against bigger older competition in a smaller rink, he now holds his own against men in a tournament that has players named Kane, McDavid, Barzal,etc...

But you keep moving goal posts on a tired narrative here...yawn.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
I didn't really notice him in the game against Germany today...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I didn't really notice him in the game against Germany today...

Wouldn’t that be a good thing for an 18 year old playing in a senior men’s tournament when everyone says he’s too small and can’t defend?

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
:-D hahaha - yeah, that's another way to view this: he isn't standing out in a positive way but neither is he sticking out as utterly bad... he just blends in perfectly... I can agree to that :)
Just to be clear: I'm a Hug(h)e(s) fan...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He is next to impossible to forecheck consistently. He is too quick and is really good when in tight spaces. You don't see him get hit that often, because his edge work, speed and hockey IQ keep him clean consistently. He thinks the game at a high level and plays at an incredibly high pace. I think the game speeding up and his teammates moving faster is going to help Hughes more than hurt him. Special player to be sure.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think he does really well defensively against faster players, as he can adjust his skating with ease to keep pace with forwards if they try to skate by him. He struggles more with forechecking and heavier forwards (and seems to pass up 50/50 situations and allow the F to gain control). But I would say for that latter part, the same could be said for all the smallish defenseman projected to go in the 1st round, Boqvist, Smith, Merkley all play a passive defensive game versus forecheckers, looking for openings to poke check instead of looking to corner the forward against the glass. But those other small 1st round D don't play as well defensively as Hughes does against speedy Fs.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Think about prime Rafalski and the forecheck. He was a small defencemen, but teams often struggled to establish a consistent forecheck against him because he was very quick to the puck and made fast decisions. I think Hughes has that type of ability but with even better tools.

Reactions: Chainshot

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
...how closely were you looking?

Naturally, I was more focusing on the German players, but I was constantly looking out for the "43" on the back of the US guys especially during PPs as I figured he might come in there - wrong?
Anyway, most of the time I couldn't find him. I saw him playing in the 3rd, but he didn't stick out then...

To be fair, he only play'd 7 and half minutes, fewest of the 7 d-men.
That might explain it.

I didn't get to watch the other US games...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
how good is he defensively ?
Skating is great, which helps him transition back, and catch rushes in a hurry. Also helps with gap control. His stick work is also great, so he’s good and breaking things up defensively.

He’s a rover, though. He gambles a lot. So there are positioning concerns. I’d say he really stands apart from Boqvist and Merkley in his ability to recover from blown positioning and mitigate chances despite him not being where he needed to be initially. He covers his own mistakes really well, in a way I haven’t seen from the other D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad