LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
My friends in Turku can't understand why they scratch him. He has been bad lately but still. TPS defense isn't that good.

I really don't know either, even on bad nights he's light years above Forsström or Berger. His defensive game has been off but it still doesn't make sense to me why they're scratching him.

Reactions: Ippenator

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
I really don't know either, even on bad nights he's light years above Forsström or Berger. His defensive game has been off but it still doesn't make sense to me why they're scratching him.

Probably to send a message. If you know a player can be better but is making errors it's probably due to lack of effort. Coach could just want to let Juolevi know he expects more out of him if he is struggling a bit.

Did you watch him these last few games? Curious to know what you mean when you say his defensive game has struggled. Getting beat one on one, bad pinches, being out of position? Just curious

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Probably to send a message. If you know a player can be better but is making errors it's probably due to lack of effort. Coach could just want to let Juolevi know he expects more out of him if he is struggling a bit.

Did you watch him these last few games? Curious to know what you mean when you say his defensive game has struggled. Getting beat one on one, bad pinches, being out of position? Just curious

I haven't seen every game but he seems kinda... lost. I sometimes get flashbacks from his play in the Canucks camp last fall. It's like his mind is not there. As for scratching him, I get that you might want to send a message to him but his team is battling for playoffs home ice advantage, maybe just give him less ice time instead, rather than play guys who are much worse than him.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Any one have any ideas as to what is going on with in Finland
I agree with the others, that he hasn’t been as bad as being the healthy scratch would make you think. But sure, his level of play has gone worse than it was for the start of the season. He seems like really not being in the game completely. I wonder if there is again some problems with his attitude?

He has shown in the past very bad signs of being a whiny primadonna, and honestly I have to say that many interviews that I saw him in during the last two years just seriously made me cringe. He seemed so entitled and full of himself, that it was easy to see that he would get into trouble with some coaches.

Although I have to emphasize that this is now purely my own speculation, and I have no real knowledge of what is going on with him and TPS at the moment. Just also wondering that how really he wouldn’t fit into the team even with the way he has been playing lately. The team has clearly worse defencemen than him. In my opinion he should be in the 2nd or 3rd pair at the moment, unless there is some serious attitude problem.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
This should answer the questions before we go off the deep end.

More from Salo: "He has had a little tougher time after the World Junior's. We decided to scratch him, he should be back in the lineup tomorrow."

This kid is going to hate his life when he gets to Vancouver. Our fans suck. Because of his draft position he will always be compared to Tkachuk. Every mistake he makes early on i feel our fan base is going to ride him hard. I wish well for him. I still think he has all the tools . Just needs some time.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He has shown in the past very bad signs of being a whiny primadonna, and honestly I have to say that many interviews

news to me. the interviews from what we've seen of him in Vancouver is the opposite from what your describing. Maybe he hates the Finnish leauge? who knows.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Sad but true.

This kid is going to hate his life when he gets to Vancouver. Our fans suck. Because of his draft position he will always be compared to Tkachuk. Every mistake he makes early on i feel our fan base is going to ride him hard. I wish well for him. I still think he has all the tools . Just needs some time.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
news to me. the interviews from what we've seen of him in Vancouver is the opposite from what your describing. Maybe he hates the Finnish leauge? who knows.
I’m not talking about any interviews from the time that he has played in Liiga, which has been only this season, and he has been OK in those interviews. But those really bad ones were from the different previous season’s when he was playing for the Finnish national junior’s teams.

Oh, and he was really especially terrible as the captain of the Finnish 2016-2017 WJC team, which scandalously had to play in the relegation round. He practically started a riot against the coach in the middle of the tournament and the coach was after all sacked in the middle of the tournament. The way how he commented things then was also like a whiny spoiled brat. The coach was wrong for the team generally, but you still don’t do what he did in the middle of the tournament. He was like a quitter before all the games had been even played. Well, this also as an additional example. Not the only reason why I’m talking about his attitude problems from the past.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I’m not talking about any interviews from the time that he has played in Liiga, which has been only this season, and he has been OK in those interviews. But those really bad ones were from the different previous season’s when he was playing for the Finnish national junior’s teams.

future captain material.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Or he can just suck it up and try harder. There is that. Ya know the honest hard working approach

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It'll be hell, they'll start before he's even played a game, just look at HFCanucks, the hate is real.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

Oh, and he was really especially terrible as the captain of the Finnish 2016-2017 WJC team, which scandalously had to play in the relegation round. He practically started a riot against the coach in the middle of the tournament and the coach was after all sacked in the middle of the tournament. The way how he commented things then was also like a whiny spoiled brat. The coach was wrong for the team generally, but you still don’t do what he did in the middle of the tournament. He was like a quitter before all the games had been even played. Well, this also as an additional example. Not the only reason why I’m talking about his attitude problems from the past.
Perhaps the players asked him to represent them, you know, being captain and all?

Couldn't be that, though, just has to be one bad player with attitude.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

Again, this is not news.

When he was drafted Benning said he liked his cockiness, that Joulevi has an attitude is a fact and not worth debating,

If you don't know about it, you haven't looked into it

Do you want proof?

Don't ask us, about 5 seconds of Googling will tell you all you need to know.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
This should answer the questions before we go off the deep end.

More from Salo: "He has had a little tougher time after the World Junior's. We decided to scratch him, he should be back in the lineup tomorrow."

Poor Salo and the media dude , should be affected not effected

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I haven't seen every game but he seems kinda... lost. I sometimes get flashbacks from his play in the Canucks camp last fall. It's like his mind is not there. As for scratching him, I get that you might want to send a message to him but his team is battling for playoffs home ice advantage, maybe just give him less ice time instead, rather than play guys who are much worse than him.[/QUOTE

If he's doing what he did last fall then, all kidding aside, this is NOT GOOD

Last fall he was turn styled by career minor leaguers and training camp warm bodies, in all honesty, it was embarrassing. He didn't belong in camp. If not for his draft pedigree, he would have been sent home imeadietly.

If that's happening now, I would be very concerned.

If his parents are at all interested in this great opportunity life has afforded him at so young an age, I would respectfully suggest a "boot in the Netherlands" before it's too late.

Playing that way at draft + 2 1/2?

He can't afford + 3​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad