LD Olli Juolevi - TPS, Liiga (2016, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
There is a difference of having runny nose like Pettersson had in WJC and actually having flu with fever. No player is going to play with fever since it's a health risk.

And no, I don't know whether Juolevi actually has fever but I would imagine that being the case since he isn't playing. I don't see no other reason why his team which is currently slumping hard wouldn't dress one of their best players.

So you don't actually know anything about the symptoms of either, but that's what you'll use as an excuse?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
True. It makes Juolevi seem much worse than he actually is. I mean, some are even proclaiming him as a bust already which is crazy. He has all the qualities to develop into a top-pairing guy, we don't know if he'll ever get there but the potential is absolutely there. Dude's hockey IQ is off the charts and he has the puck handling abilities to support it, adequate skater too although he won't wow you with that. Just needs to get a bit tougher defensively, he's way too soft without the puck. He seems to need to take more time adjusting to the NHL speed as well but I think he will figure it out some day. To me it looks like he got a bit too comfortable in a dominating OHL team and just wasn't mentally ready for the camp last fall (not that he is by any means a complete player physically either). No need to go nuts over his development at this point.

Hockey I.Q off the charts?

What? Was he doing advanced calculations based on the number of sticks on the opposition bench while ECHL's were leaving him flat-footed at TC this year?

Cool, let's get him doing advanced stats or something, put that I.Q to work somewhere where it can really shine,

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
If he's doing what he did last fall then, all kidding aside, this is NOT GOOD

Last fall he was turn styled by career minor leaguers and training camp warm bodies, in all honesty, it was embarrassing. He didn't belong in camp. If not for his draft pedigree, he would have been sent home imeadietly.

If that's happening now, I would be very concerned.

If his parents are at all interested in this great opportunity life has afforded him at so young an age, I would respectfully suggest a "boot in the Netherlands" before it's too late.

Playing that way at draft + 2 1/2?

He can't afford + 3

Like Salo said, our other WJC player (Nurmi) has suffered from the same issues since coming back. Traveling to another continent and then straight back to action in Liiga isn't easy but Juolevi does indeed need to pick it up. I think the issues he had at the training camp were more about that he hadn't adjusted his mindset to NHL level play because of how easy it had been in the juniors for him. In other words, he simply wasn't mentally ready. We'll see how he's gonna be in the next camp but I'm sure he learned his lesson from that experience.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Hockey I.Q off the charts?

What? Was he doing advanced calculations based on the number of sticks on the opposition bench while ECHL's were leaving him flat-footed at TC this year?

Cool, let's get him doing advanced stats or something, put that I.Q to work somewhere where it can really shine,

He's shown his IQ in the juniors and in Liiga, he is absolutely fantastic at reading the game and makes good decisions out there. He has a lot of work to do to adjust to the NHL play but the talent is there.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Like Salo said, our other WJC player (Nurmi) has suffered from the same issues since coming back. Traveling to another continent and then straight back to action in Liiga isn't easy but Juolevi does indeed need to pick it up. I think the issues he had at the training camp were more about that he hadn't adjusted his mindset to NHL level play because of how easy it had been in the juniors for him. In other words, he simply wasn't mentally ready. We'll see how he's gonna be in the next camp but I'm sure he learned his lesson from that experience.

I take it you watch him regularily? Could you give us a run down on him if so? A lot better then seeing these opinions from posters who haven't.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I take it you watch him regularily? Could you give us a run down on him if so? A lot better then seeing these opinions from posters who haven't.

Yes, I'm a fan of his Liiga team so I watch him a lot. I'm no scout but here are my thoughts.

Had a bit of a slow start, a lot of safe plays and all around just meh but gradually became better as he started to gain confidence, to the point where he was one of the leading dmen in one of the best teams in the league. After the WJC, where he also became better as the the tournament went on, he's looked a bit off, just doesn't seem like his mind is 100% in the game.

As for his strengths and weaknesses, I'd say his biggest assets are his crazy good hockey sense and passing, so you got very good PMD talent in him and he can make wise and calm decisions even under pressure. Good wrist shot too and is able to get it through with a good percentage. Not the fastest or flashiest skater, but very smooth and it doesn't hinder his offensive game. I think the biggest knock on him is that he's soft defensively, like really soft and I see his lack of urgency as his biggest challenge in transitioning to the NHL.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Had a bit of a slow start, a lot of safe plays and all around just meh but gradually became better as he started to gain confidence, to the point where he was one of the leading dmen in one of the best teams in the league. After the WJC, where he also became better as the the tournament went on, he's looked a bit off, just doesn't seem like his mind is 100% in the game.

Pretty much this. ^^

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He is on the top pairing because the usual guy playing there was suspended for 4 games.
So basically his team had few options. Its like when the Canucks had tons a injuries this year and the coach put Gagner on the first line and someone calling him a first liner :laugh:

Reactions: Thrive
Feb 19, 2018
It would be nice to see Juolevi get back to that record setting World Junior form where he had the most points ever for a defender his age. Also the leading his team to a OHL Championship a Memorial cup and Gold at the tournament as the top Defenseman on all 3 venues. If we go by pedigree I think he’ll do just fine!

Glad he’s a top pairing D man in a men’s league after adding all that bulk on his frame that’s never an easy task especially if you’re known for your mobility.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So basically his team had few options. Its like when the Canucks had tons a injuries this year and the coach put Gagner on the first line and someone calling him a first liner :laugh:

Juolevi is absolutely a top pairing level dman in the league when he's at his best. He lacks consistency though so the the management prefers to play the more experienced guys in there instead of him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Posted this on HFVan:

So, I went ahead and did this. This is since the 2007 draft, so this is through a 10 year span.

Quick notes:
*Hamilton played 42 games in his D+2 season, but got sent back to OHL. Made NHL fully in his D+3 season.
*Koekkoek played 29 NHL games in his D+5 season, but has only now made the NHL fulltime, this year
*Dylan McIllrath is not listed, but played 34 games in his D+6 season, so I wouldn't really classify him as making the NHL as he has not stuck fulltime.
*Griffen Reinhart is not listed. Has not made NHL fulltime.

D+1​
D+2​
D+3​
D+4​
D+6​
D+7​
Aaron Ekblad (1st overall)​
Ryan Murray (2nd overall)​
Alex Pietrangelo (4th overall)​
Haydn Fleury (7th overall)​
Derrick Pouliot (8th overall)​
Thomas Hickey (4th overall)
Victor Hedman (2nd overall)​
Erik Gudbranson (3rd overall)​
Karl Alzner (5th overall)​
Keaton Ellerby (10th overall)
Slater Koekkoek* (10th overall)​
Drew Doughty (2nd overall)​
Morgan Reilly (5th overall)​
Mathew Dumba (7th overall)​
Zach Bogosian (3rd overall)​
Hampus Lindholm (6th overall)​
Darnell Nurse (7th overall)​
Adam Larsson (3rd overall)​
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6th overall)​
Dougie Hamilton* (9th overall)​
Seth Jones (4th overall)​
Ivan Provorov (7th overall)​
Jared Cowen (9th overall)​
Noah Hanifin (5th overall)​
Zach Werenski (8th overall)​
Jonas Brodin (10th overall)​
Luke Schenn (5th overall)​
Rasmus Ristolainen (8th overall)​
Jacob Trouba (9th overall)​
Mikhail Sergachev (9th overall)​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: eviohh26

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Yes... your right... they had more then a few options, and the next best bet was Olli Juolevi to fill his spot, a 19 year old kid out of all the other experienced defenders that could have played in his spot, what's your point? did they have a "ton" of injuries?

you seem very very excited and happy that he is struggling, the same with Jake Virtanen you seem to have strange fettish to see certain Canuck prospects fail and drop on their faces, evidence YOU'Re NOT A CANUCK FAN.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
When I read about Juolevi I can't help but think Vancouver needs a lottery win maybe more than any team. Juolevi may be a top pairing guy, but he certainly does not appear to be at that Hedman/Doughty/Karlsson level. Dahlen would take so much pressure off Juolevi and make the defense so much better going forward. Buffalo has Eichel, Arizona has a ton of young talent and Ekman-Larsson, Ottawa has Karlsson, Chabot, etc.

The Canucks have Boeser and Petterson and really nothing else...well Horvat I guess.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yes... your right... they had more then a few options, and the next best bet was Olli Juolevi to fill his spot, a 19 year old kid out of all the other experienced defenders that could have played in his spot, what's your point? did they have a "ton" of injuries?

you seem very very excited and happy that he is struggling, the same with Jake Virtanen you seem to have strange fettish to see certain Canuck prospects fail and drop on their faces, evidence YOU'Re NOT A CANUCK FAN.
Your not a Canucks fan your just a paid functionary of the Benning management who yells and screams at anyone saying anything about our team is less then perfect

Go read our GDTs this year Benning boy ive cheered on Jakes moments of success like anyone else. Still should have picked Nylander tho i hope some miracle Virtanen prooves everyone in the hockey world wrong somehow and ends up being the steal of the draft. Same with Juolevi but hes projecting just terribly esp comparing to the guys wr should have picked (Tkachuck Keller Serg)

Take off the blinders pal and see reality it aint too late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad