LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So is he projecting to be better than Juolevi? Seems pretty intriguing and wondering if available at 5 if the Canucks should take him over a C

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So is he projecting to be better than Juolevi? Seems pretty intriguing and wondering if available at 5 if the Canucks should take him over a C

Yes I would say so, he's a better skater, great hands as well.

Another + for him going against Juolevi is that he played against men, instead of spending a year in juniors.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
To put Heiskanen's numbers in the FEL into a perspective for once and all and end the discussion with them being "weak". We are talking about a pro league here where a 17-year-old was playing. It is very defensive orientated, tactical and strict league, where trapping the neutral zone is a common tactic used by basically all of the teams. Less scoring than the SHL for example and much less than the AHL. Only 3 players from forwards had a pace over a ppg (60p in 51games, 56p in 55games, 46p in 41 games): 2 of them played in a same line (Haapala and Savinainen). All of them had their career high totals, so you could call even their production "unsustainable". None of the dmen hit even close to a ppg: leader in points (a very offensive minded dman with international experience) scored 39p in 58 games. It's practically impossible to dominate it point-wise as a physically raw 17-year-old.

A regular 17 year old who plays hockey would dream to carry Heiskanen's stick... He's not a regular 17y old. When the hypetrain leads you into top 5 speculation in your draft class, you're expected to do something very impressive. To me Vaakanainen and Heiskanen aren't worlds apart from one another yet their ranking is pretty far away from eachother. Yes we can say Heiskanen is better but not that much.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
The more I read about this kid the more I want him. I hope Dallas takes him at 3 is they dont move the pick. His liiga ability might make him able to play in the NHL a year after his draft

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I was talking about the regular season and my aim was to point out that scoring there isn't an easy task for a rookie. 17goals in 46games doesn't sound like a potential 50 goalscorer in the NHL, does it? I tried to put some perspective in his regular season numbers, not compare him to Laine. I was honestly waiting for someone to get my point wrong (not very unusual here).

Yes, I know you were talking about the regular season. Did you miss those first numbers? I was talking about the regular season as well. Top25 is a lot more impressive than top50.

Speaking of which, everyone understands your point- it's hard to score in Liiga, especially for rookies. We get it. No matter how you say though, .29 isn't impressive. It's damn impressive for a 17 year old to play in Liiga, but his numbers just are not no matter how hard it is to score there.

As for the playoff comment, I was just adding more substance to your cherry picked perspective. Laine had a tremendous playoffs. He proved to be the best player in the playoffs as a rookie. Sorry that fact puts a damper on your point. Maybe you should not have brought up a rookie playoff MVP to prove your point.

Seems as though you got my point wrong.

NHLe expected Laine to hit 30 points this year, how did that go?
Blind stat watching isn't good.

Miro didn't even play a full season, he played 37 games and again produced at a similar rate with Ristolainen while being 9 months younger.

It's pretty amazing how a 17y defenseman logging +20 mins in the playoffs only had a "decent" year.

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about Risto. I didn't say anything about Laine's expectations. I didn't say anything about His year being "decent" (what are you quoting). Someone made a point and used a stupid example to try and prove said point.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its funny how swedes are soooo amazing with "poor" numbers,
yet finns are supposedly so bad,not to mention russians
and how great they are.

We (Finland) have won 2 u20 wjc titles,1 silver,1 u18 wjc title
2 silver,1 bronze in recent times,i think our juniors are if not
best in the world,but are in the top2,top 3,we have done
much better than russians and swedes in recent years,
yet they supposedly still are way better,go figure.

Sure, we have 2 humiliating u20 wjc disasters and 1 in u18's,
but that wasn't because lack of talent,no, that was because of our
buddy-buddy sucky system,what comes to selecting coaches sometimes.

Point is,Heiskanen is best d-man in this draft,by far and is the
most ready player to play in the NHL next season,let me remind all
he has all the summer and pre-autumn,to work his shortcomings,
what ever they might be and also put some muscle if he needs.

For 17 year old playing in a one of the best pro leagues in Europe
vs fully grown pro atheletes is so hard,playing as a 17 year old
d-man is so much more harder,also the team he played for
was poorly coached,didn't do well in the regular season,
finished 4th in the end.

Heiskanen played all together 51 games this season vs men
scored 5 goals and 11 assists,later season took his rightful
place as the team number 1 d-man,was the most dominant player
at the u18 wjc,..most of the time,put impressive numbers too,
12 points in 7 games,took the silver medal.

I havent seen a single player this season perform better than
Heiskanen,what comes to players of this years draft.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Yes, I know you were talking about the regular season. Did you miss those first numbers? I was talking about the regular season as well. Top25 is a lot more impressive than top50.

Speaking of which, everyone understands your point- it's hard to score in Liiga, especially for rookies. We get it. No matter how you say though, .29 isn't impressive. It's damn impressive for a 17 year old to play in Liiga, but his numbers just are not no matter how hard it is to score there.

As for the playoff comment, I was just adding more substance to your cherry picked perspective. Laine had a tremendous playoffs. He proved to be the best player in the playoffs as a rookie. Sorry that fact puts a damper on your point. Maybe you should not have brought up a rookie playoff MVP to prove your point.

Seems as though you got my point wrong.

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about Risto. I didn't say anything about Laine's expectations. I didn't say anything about His year being "decent" (what are you quoting). Someone made a point and used a stupid example to try and prove said point.
Funny how you try to argue against someone with superior knowledge of Heiskanen's league. Something you don't take into notice that Laine was a 6'4 >190lbs winger and Heiskanen barely a 6'1 180lbs dman. If you think his point totals for a two-way dman were poor, so be it. This discussion about a 17-year-old's dman's totals are kinda pointless anyways, so I don't know why you are so obsessed with them. He has tools to become a highend dman in the NHL in his prime, that is certain.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
A regular 17 year old who plays hockey would dream to carry Heiskanen's stick... He's not a regular 17y old. When the hypetrain leads you into top 5 speculation in your draft class, you're expected to do something very impressive. To me Vaakanainen and Heiskanen aren't worlds apart from one another yet their ranking is pretty far away from eachother. Yes we can say Heiskanen is better but not that much.
Heiskanen is superior to Vaakanainen as a prospect. Heiskanen was playing on average 19mins per game with PK/PP duties, Vaakanainen clocked about 10mins per game.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
To me Vaakanainen and Heiskanen aren't worlds apart from one another yet their ranking is pretty far away from eachother. Yes we can say Heiskanen is better but not that much.

Definitely disagree. Vaakanainen looks like a purely defensive guy whose two-way ability is nothing more than being good on the breakout. And even defensively he has weaknesses; gets drawn out of position a lot because he's too aggressive and chases plays instead of sitting back.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Funny how you try to argue against someone with superior knowledge of Heiskanen's league. Something you don't take into notice that Laine was a 6'4 >190lbs winger and Heiskanen barely a 6'1 180lbs dman. If you think his point totals for a two-way dman were poor, so be it. This discussion about a 17-year-old's dman's totals are kinda pointless anyways, so I don't know why you are so obsessed with them. He has tools to become a highend dman in the NHL in his prime, that is certain.

You are the one obsessed with them, going to different boards to try and prove how impressive his numbers are, insulting anyone who disagrees with you claiming they know nothing of the league he plays in and you need to educate them. Sorry dude, his numbers are not impressive no matter what spin you put on it. Does that mean he doesn't have skill? Sure doesn't. All it means is that his numbers are not impressive. Quit trying to spin them as if they are and attacking those who don't buy your BS spin about why his numbers are so amazing.

But I'll cave. Seems some of you are quite insecure about this whole Liiga production topic.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I would compare Heiskanen to Ristolainen by talent but they have different tools. I think that Ristolainen was a guy with more upside, mean streak but Heiskanen was way more reliable at the same age. Difference of his bad and good game is small. Teppo Numminen type of player. Ristolainen in the other hand was pretty inconsistent but he absolutely took over games at times.

Vaakanainen in the other hand is overrated IMO. His decision making is absurd and inconsistent at times. He is still very young player so there is still time to improve in that area of the game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Most points for a player(D) his age since 1981 = not impressive numbers?

When have you ever heard someone say something like that?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You are the one obsessed with them, going to different boards to try and prove how impressive his numbers are, insulting anyone who disagrees with you claiming they know nothing of the league he plays in and you need to educate them. Sorry dude, his numbers are not impressive no matter what spin you put on it. Does that mean he doesn't have skill? Sure doesn't. All it means is that his numbers are not impressive. Quit trying to spin them as if they are and attacking those who don't buy your BS spin about why his numbers are so amazing.

But I'll cave. Seems some of you are quite insecure about this whole Liiga production topic.

His numbers are impressive.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Best european (D-man) production as a 17 year old for long time. No need to downplay this. Better than Hedman Ristolainen Karlsson.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Best european (D-man) production as a 17 year old for long time. No need to downplay this. Better than Hedman Ristolainen Karlsson.

Better but not worlds apart better :D my guess is that Hedman had a very sheltered role when he scored 4p in somewhat 40g. When he had a good role he had over 20p as i guess 18yo.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Better but not worlds apart better :D my guess is that Hedman had a very sheltered role when he scored 4p in somewhat 40g. When he had a good role he had over 20p as i guess 18yo.

They are close yeah. But Heiskanen didn't need sheltering which is amazing to me.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm curious to see if Heiskanen can make the NHL next year. With his skating and IQ he has a good chance, but will probably depend on which team selects him.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Lets assume the Stars pick him.

Klingberg
Hamhuis
Lindell
Honka
Johns
Oleksiak
Nemeth

That is their depth chart for 7 Dman. Honka will be up next year so basically Heiskanen would have to beat one of Oleksiak or Nemeth (or whoever they might add this summer). I think better for Heiskanen to play in FEL and get stronger. But everything depends on the training camp.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm curious to see if Heiskanen can make the NHL next year. With his skating and IQ he has a good chance, but will probably depend on which team selects him.

Hope not.

Rather see him play 20mins a night with an offensive role over 10mins sheltered minutes in 3rd pairing.

If Dallas picks him he should not be in the top6.

Lindell- Kling
Hamhuis- Honka
Oleksiak?- Johns.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hope not.

Rather see him play 20mins a night with an offensive role over 10mins sheltered minutes in 3rd pairing.

If Dallas picks him he should not be in the top6.

Lindell- Kling
Hamhuis- Honka
Oleksiak?- Johns.

It's not a stretch for Heiskanen to outplay Honka and Oleksiak, potentially Johns too.

I agree that he shouldn't be in the NHL if he's only going to play 10 minutes a night, but it's not impossible that he'll be good enough to play bigger minutes. A lot can happen over a summer, and he already had good experience playing against men this year.

What I could see is him getting 1-9 games in the NHL and then if he's not ready he'll be sent down to AHL or loaned back to HIFK.

Or maybe he's not even close in camp and goes straight back to HIFK, I don't know, but based on his toolset I think he has a chance to stick in the NHL.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's not a stretch for Heiskanen to outplay Honka and Oleksiak, potentially Johns too.

I agree that he shouldn't be in the NHL if he's only going to play 10 minutes a night, but it's not impossible that he'll be good enough to play bigger minutes. A lot can happen over a summer, and he already had good experience playing against men this year.

What I could see is him getting 1-9 games in the NHL and then if he's not ready he'll be sent down to AHL or loaned back to HIFK.

Or maybe he's not even close in camp and goes straight back to HIFK, I don't know, but based on his toolset I think he has a chance to stick in the NHL.

The good thing with Heiskanen is that he has AHL option.
I'd rather start him in the AHL to get used to the change and logg some minutes and if he shows he's ready then make room for him.
Unless he absolutely kills it in the pre season.

Playing a full year against men definitely is a huge advantage for Heiskanen.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
If he can crack to his future team's line-up as a middle pairing guy, I don't see a point of playing him rather in the AHL as a top pairing guy. Considering what kind of defensemen the Stars/Avs have atm, it is not out of question after a full summer of hard work. Heiskanen is a kind of guy with little concerns adapting to more tougher competition... jumping from the u20 league to the FEL and playing like a seasoned vet there.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Lets assume the Stars pick him.

Klingberg
Hamhuis
Lindell
Honka
Johns
Oleksiak
Nemeth

That is their depth chart for 7 Dman. Honka will be up next year so basically Heiskanen would have to beat one of Oleksiak or Nemeth (or whoever they might add this summer). I think better for Heiskanen to play in FEL and get stronger. But everything depends on the training camp.

At 18 he wont beat Lindell and Hamhuis, and I hope the management realizes that our left side is weak and signs a FA. That would mean that Heis would have to beat out the FA too. I would be shocked if he played in Dallas next year if they choose him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad