LD Grigory Dronov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2016 undrafted)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So he has at least 3 seasons remaining in Russia before he can get to the NHL?
The NHL has shown zero interest in him. Obviously because he had to battle injuries at the worst possible times. So it's pretty logical for him to secure his future in the KHL with a longer term contract.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

EliteProspects is saying that Dronov recently signed an extension to keep him in Magnitogorsk through the 2021/22 season but the tweet from Metallurg (at least based on a translation which probably isn't very good) makes it seem more like the final year of his contract was re-negotiated and expires after the 2020/21 season. If anyone could clarify that would be appreciated.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

EliteProspects is saying that Dronov recently signed an extension to keep him in Magnitogorsk through the 2021/22 season but the tweet from Metallurg (at least based on a translation which probably isn't very good) makes it seem more like the final year of his contract was re-negotiated and expires after the 2020/21 season. If anyone could clarify that would be appreciated.

It is for one season, so the same expiry date, as it was before.

Reactions: barriers

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear.

I look forward to a year from now when Leaf fans who had previously never heard of Dronov complain that he's not a right-hand shot.

Reactions: Caser

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Dronov comes over to the NHL, I think he'll be a more valuable asset than players such as Zub and Barabanov. He might not yet be as good as those guys, but he's a lot younger, and he's already pretty good with a lot of potential. If he could stay healthy, he might become really good.

Reactions: EXTRAS and barriers

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
C'mon, dronov. Come over the the nhl all ready.
I think the chance he comes over to the NHL is similar to the chance he will retire. Which is moderate considering how often he is injured. He just couldn't handle the NHL, physically. Hell, he can hardly handle the KHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What does this mean? NHL agent?

Milstein is an NHL agent, he doesn't have KHL licence at all.

I think the chance he comes over to the NHL is similar to the chance he will retire. Which is moderate considering how often he is injured. He just couldn't handle the NHL, physically. Hell, he can hardly handle the KHL.

Not sure if we have the same definitions of "can hardly handle", he is a stable second pairing guy in Magnitka. Can agree about injury concerns though, giving his history and playing style.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not sure if we have the same definitions of "can hardly handle", he is a stable second pairing guy in Magnitka. Can agree about injury concerns though, giving his history and playing style.
I think he is easily Magnitka's best D when he's healthy and overall a terrific player but I meant the overwhelming physical toll playing games evidently has on his body.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Still in the previous season he didn't miss a single game I think, so maybe it's not that bad.
That's still over 50% games missed over the last 4 seasons... I'd say that's as bad as it gets for a professional player his age. I really had big hopes for him this season, he started it playing 22 minutes per game, all situations.. But it just doesn't look his body can handle it. Hence I think he would be stupid to go to the AHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
That's still over 50% games missed over the last 4 seasons... I'd say that's as bad as it gets for a professional player his age. I really had big hopes for him this season, he started it playing 22 minutes per game, all situations.. But it just doesn't look his body can handle it. Hence I think he would be stupid to go to the AHL.

I didn't have an impression that he can't handle big minutes, as before the injury in November, which kept him out for like two weeks, he was doing solid with those minutes, imo. And that injury was first in quite a while, which makes me hope that his previous injuries didn't leave a lot of consequences. But yeah, we'll see, although if talking about the NA-hockey potential, I'm more concerned about the footspeed - it is very solid for his size, but that might be not enough there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad