LD Grigory Dronov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2016 undrafted)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just an overall FYI, since Dronov is 24 he would have to sign a 1 year ELC. I'd imagine his agent would be looking for a club where he could have a chance to stick with the big club immediately.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Any news or rumors on possible teams that are interested in him?
Well, since his agent is Dan Milstein we can automatically think that Toronto and San Jose are involved. :sarcasm:

Seriously though so far the only thing I've read is that Metallurg have made an offer, but Dronov is hoping for NHL offers. I think that we should still keep in mind that after missing so much time this season it is not like he would be considered as a Kuzmenko-type high-end guy with almost every team showing interest.

Upd.: although I see he is not on Milstein's client list anymore, so maybe that has changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well, since his agent is Dan Milstein we can automatically think that Toronto and San Jose are involved. :sarcasm:

Seriously though so far the only thing I've read is that Metallurg have made an offer, but Dronov is hoping for NHL offers. I think that we should still keep in mind that after missing so much time this season it is not like he would be considered as a Kuzmenko-type high-end guy with almost every team showing interest.

Upd.: although I see he is not on Milstein's client list anymore, so maybe that has changed.

Definitely see the Leafs being interested and giving him a top 6 spot since he has shown he can play RD.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Definitely see the Leafs being interested and giving him a top 6 spot since he has shown he can play RD.
You have Brodie, Giordano, Holl, Liljegren, Muzin, Rielly and Sundin. That's 7 NHL level Ds. Sooo.. what? Why would Leafs OR Dronov would be interested.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You have Brodie, Giordano, Holl, Liljegren, Muzin, Rielly and Sundin. That's 7 NHL level Ds. Sooo.. what? Why would Leafs OR Dronov would be interested.

Strong possibility that at least one of those guys are moved out this offseason (specifically Holl) and if he can find chemistry with Rielly, he could be playing top pairing in the NHL on one of the better teams in the league. If not, he is still a key defensive guy and will be playing a fair number of minutes, not much unlike Holl did last year. Since Dronov would be on an ELC, he would allow for the Leafs to save cap vs. Holl too.

Swapping Holl for Dronov would still leave 7 NHL defensemen. However, Sandin and Muzzin have had some injury troubles last year and Giordano is turning 39, so there will be plenty of opportunities for at least 7 defensemen to get a ton of ice time in our lineup. We will likely be looking for a very trustworthy 8th guy we can put in the AHL as well.

Seems like a strong fit for both parties if you ask me.

Reactions: teddygmr

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Strong possibility that at least one of those guys are moved out this offseason (specifically Holl) and if he can find chemistry with Rielly, he could be playing top pairing in the NHL on one of the better teams in the league. If not, he is still a key defensive guy and will be playing a fair number of minutes, not much unlike Holl did last year. Since Dronov would be on an ELC, he would allow for the Leafs to save cap vs. Holl too.

Swapping Holl for Dronov would still leave 7 NHL defensemen. However, Sandin and Muzzin have had some injury troubles last year and Giordano is turning 39, so there will be plenty of opportunities for at least 7 defensemen to get a ton of ice time in our lineup. We will likely be looking for a very trustworthy 8th guy we can put in the AHL as well.

Seems like a strong fit for both parties if you ask me.

I feel like Dronov could find a stronger fit. Somewhere where if he played well he could potentially step into a top 4 role like Zub did

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I feel like Dronov could find a stronger fit. Somewhere where if he played well he could potentially step into a top 4 role like Zub did
Yeah I can see the logic for the Leafs and in general they signed someone from Russia pretty much every year but for Dronov, that doesn't seem like an obvious fit at all..

Reactions: barriers

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He SHOULD have gotten a lot more than two offers.
I'd guess those were from the teams that more or less agree to make the commitment he is asking for rather than ones just throwing their name into the mix for the sake of it.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Zub actually took a professional tryout too, if I remember correctly

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah ur right he signed it in May

Do you think pre-NHL Zub was that much better than dronov is currently?
Pretty similar in terms of abilities, but let's face it: injury history and limited game number matters (even though Zub wasn't too perfect in terms of injuries too). Also having international experience and being right-handed.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

This account is awful when it comes to providing sources but often has things like this called right

Reactions: EXTRAS

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
imo at first glance it probably seems very stacked, but upon closer inspection, I think he made a good organization pick. He's a good fit for Brindamour style hockey, and I think he only really has to pass Lagesson to get his chance as I am not a fan of Lajoie's game.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
imo at first glance it probably seems very stacked, but upon closer inspection, I think he made a good organization pick. He's a good fit for Brindamour style hockey, and I think he only really has to pass Lagesson to get his chance as I am not a fan of Lajoie's game.

LaJoie is good enough as a plug for a few games to cover injuries.

I haven’t seen enough of Lagesson to have formed an opinion.

I haven’t really watched that much of Dronov either, but knowing de Haan’s injury history, he may be lucky to play 60+ games this season. Dronov may well get some NHL games at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad