LD Grigory Dronov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2016 undrafted)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
His playoffs ended today. No contract with KHL next year. Where does he land? Hmmmm.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He should get at least a try-out in the AHL right?
Lol, AHL salary is probably ~1/5 of what he would be making in the KHL and you think he would be moving to NA for AHL try-out? Ooof.

The same way Zub and Gavrikov got "try outs"...
I think he will stay in the KHL for another year to cut the ELC from 2 years to 1. At least it would be a smart thing to do.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Good decision. He probably wasn't going to NHL next season, probably AHL had he signed.

He is progressing every year and might be 1 step away from a good, NHL-caliber player.

Reactions: barriers and ozo

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Hi Caser! Do you think Dronov have a chance to get an nhl contract?
If we are talking about the coming summer then more likely no than yes due to two important reasons.

First reason for that is that due to the current world situation it will be extremely hard for Russian players to obtain visas, work permits and get all the other paperwork done. To get stuck in limbo with a contract signed but being unable to play isn't something both the player and NHL team's management would like to happen.

Second is much more simple: due to injuries and KHL breaks/cancellations he almost didn't play this season and also missed out on all the international tournaments. So if some NHL team was interested they likely don't have confidence at all in him at the moment. And what might be more important, Dronov himself likely doesn't have that confidence to make the jump currently.

Potentially I think he can make it, just a bit later. For example, Lyubushkin is looking to be fine in the NHL and Dronov talent-wise can be viewed as kind of an upgraded version of him.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Leads all defensemen in KHL Playoff scoring with 11 points in 13 playoff games
Only 1 point behind kuzmenko for overall point lead.

He just turned 24 a couple months ago but only played 6 regular season games due to injury this season.

Coming out party?

Lil rat

Oct 26, 2019
If we see any khl -> nhl transfer with guys like kuzmenko im pretty sure dronov will get a chance too. Teams have seen zub's impact and now see dronov being healthy and dominant. I think he's definetly in zub and gavrikov range of talent

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
If we are talking about the coming summer then more likely no than yes due to two important reasons.

First reason for that is that due to the current world situation it will be extremely hard for Russian players to obtain visas, work permits and get all the other paperwork done. To get stuck in limbo with a contract signed but being unable to play isn't something both the player and NHL team's management would like to happen.

Second is much more simple: due to injuries and KHL breaks/cancellations he almost didn't play this season and also missed out on all the international tournaments. So if some NHL team was interested they likely don't have confidence at all in him at the moment. And what might be more important, Dronov himself likely doesn't have that confidence to make the jump currently.

Potentially I think he can make it, just a bit later. For example, Lyubushkin is looking to be fine in the NHL and Dronov talent-wise can be viewed as kind of an upgraded version of him.
Apparently I might be wrong here as the Russian press is reporting that Dronov is looking for NHL offers and also it can be noticeable that Metallurg is actively searching the market for his replacement.

Reactions: barriers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad