Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
On analytics:
Linden: analytics plays a big role in our game today, big piece. It’s not the magic bullet, but definitely a significant piece. We have people internally who are working on that side of the game, and they’ll continue with it. I’m comfortable with that right now.

This is about the 3rd time Linden has made this clear, I hope people actually listen.

Jonathan Wall

Director, Hockey Operations & Analytics

As the Director of Hockey Operations & Analytics, Jonathan Wall works with Assistant General Managers, Player Development and Amateur and Professional Scouts on a variety of hockey operations tasks including salary cap analysis and planning, contract analysis, immigration, entry draft, free agency, college scouting, training and development camps as well as any special projects as directed by the General Manager.

Wall began his tenure with Canucks Sports & Entertainment in 1998 as the Scouting Information Coordinator. Previously in 1996, Wall worked as the Equipment Manager for the Vancouver Voodoo roller hockey team. Prior to that, Wall worked with the UBC Varsity Hockey Team as the Team Manager while he completed his degree in Sports Management at the University of British Columbia.

Wall and his wife Sarah currently reside in Vancouver with their son Jack and daughter Aliya . Wall enjoys golfing and cycling in his free time

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
We saw this with Gilman at the 2014 draft.. When Benning made his decision and you could tell Gilman was pissed but didn't say anything

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
David Ebner ‏@DavidEbner 4m4 minutes ago

Sounds like Canucks Jonathan Wall, director hockey ops & analytics, gets a big promotion, to fill in the work of Laurence Gilman.
Thank god, not weisbrod

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
We saw this with Gilman at the 2014 draft.. When Benning made his decision and you could tell Gilman was pissed but didn't say anything

Over mccaan? I dont know if he looked pissed, he looked like he was on the outside though.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Did you guys just hear what they (TSN 1040 guy don't know his name ) said about Gilman and the Sbisa, Dorsett contracts?

Amazing.. He basically said he bumped into Gilman shortly after those contracts were signed and Gilman

did not want to talk about it at all! He basically said he would be shocked if Gilman had something to do

with those contracts... It just gets better and better...

Good for Gilman, that shows some integrity in that he's not compromising his own opinion by BS'ing he's in agreement or compromising the company he's contractually obligated to by verbalizing he was against them. Say nothing, let body language speak, and the receiver will interpret it accordingly for the most part.

Did Sekeres mention anything about confronting Gilman on how the LMC/NTC's potentially handicapped the organization now that most of those players are on the downside or need(ed) to move on?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Gilman was asked about the sbisa + dorsett contracts.

Ill miss you gilman

I still laugh at the fools who thought Gilman was behind all these terrible contracts. It's so blatantly obvious against everything he had done with Gillis.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is in charge of the Canucks' internal stats platform. He's been with the organization for over a decade.

I don't know much about him.

Stuff like the Sbisa signing doesn't give me huge confidence in our internal analytics, though. Although it's possible Benning just ignored whatever information was generated.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Over mccaan? I dont know if he looked pissed, he looked like he was on the outside though.

my memory is patchy about who I just remember someone pointing out how irritated he looked at Benning at the draft.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
yeah its impossible to know if wall was bad at his job or if he was good at it, but benning didnt listen to him

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
You do realize the "new" is actually old. Old Boys network. A guy who will come to the forefront as assistant GM is a guy who has proven he does not understand the CBA.

The other guy who will come to the forefront is the guy who has been in charge of the awful drafting for years and years and years and years until his influence was diminished and the drafting looked better.

This isn't out with the old in with the new. This is out with the old and in with the very very old.

"Out with the old... in with the old boys."
He sounds like a snake oil salesmen that preys on the easily duped. Benning is the perfect mark.

He's an insidious little cockroach that worms its way inside dumb management teams. Safe to say he's found a home here amongst the incompetent.

They should have asked Trevor what his "vision" moving forward is

20/20 now that he's got all those products from Clearly Contacts.

Gilman was asked about the sbisa + dorsett contracts.

Ill miss you gilman

Sekeres just said he spoke with Gilman in private after the Sbisa/Dorsett signings, and Gillman didn't want anything to do with those signings. Didn't even want to talk about it.

Makes sense that he wouldn't want to talk about something he clearly didn't like and wanted nothing to do with. Those signings weren't the sort that he would have made.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Stuff like the Sbisa signing doesn't give me huge confidence in our internal analytics, though. Although it's possible Benning just ignored whatever information was generated.

Can't really use analytics if the people making decisions can't understand them.

You need decision-makers who are capable of integrating stats with traditional scouting.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
my memory is patchy about who I just remember someone pointing out how irritated he looked at Benning at the draft.

Unless were thinking of something different from what I recall it was when benning was telling him about mccaan. I thought gilman just looked like someone not in the fold in that conversation.

May 31, 2006

Internal analytics were ignored, obviously. When it comes to Sbisa it's really hard to make the data on him look favorable, no matter how much you torture the data.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Losing Gilman our capologist, in the midst of free agency and at a crucial point in our future, is very telling.

I believe that all three of them probably simply tendered their resignations.

They obviously were Gillis men, and I believe it was a faction split. Especially with how Benning has been throwing away the previous regime's assets away, like candy at a parade.

I was never completely sold on Henning or Crawfords pro scouting.

But I had a ton of respect for Gilman.

On the positive side, we will have a management group with no contention. On the negative side, I believe we lost a boat load of competence.

Delorme and the old boys are fully in control now. It is very scary, but even blind squirrels can find an acorn once in awhile.

Maybe something good will come of it. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad