Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I thought the Assistant Coach, Bones, recommended Ballard as well, having coached Ballard with Pheonix? Putting the buck on Gilman for Ballard (on a player that magically regressed in a very weird way no less) is a low thing to do as the guy is kicked to the curb. It's petty.

It was Bowness.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Exactly. If its not performance-related... it's probably political though they would never say that.

Perhaps partly political, but likely economic as much if not moreso. The Canadian $ and reduced attendance has to be hurting the bottom line and it would be tough to justify continuing to have more bodies in the front office than there were under Gillis (i.e Linden and Wiesbrod).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Perhaps partly political, but likely economic as much if not moreso. The Canadian $ and reduced attendance has to be hurting the bottom line and it would be tough to justify continuing to have more bodies in the front office than there were under Gillis (i.e Linden and Wiesbrod).

Possible, though I have no idea what sort of salaries they were getting. You'd think they could cut costs a lot more efficiently by getting rid of other more prominent contracts on the team though.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's 'petty' to point out the one player associated with Lawrence Gilman over the duration of his time in Vancouver?

By all means, I would love to hear if he recommended even a single good NHL player while in Vancouver. Did he?

Apparently he didn't recommend trading good NHL players like Kassian... nor did he endorse the atrocious Sbisa contract, a deal which even you cannot defend...

For all we know he could have been the guy who vouched for Horvat.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
K I know Im late to the part but why was Burnstein fired???

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's 'petty' to point out the one player associated with Lawrence Gilman over the duration of his time in Vancouver?

By all means, I would love to hear if he recommended even a single good NHL player while in Vancouver. Did he?

We don't know but does he need to? As many recent articles have outlined, Gilman had many duties under Gillis and important ones. He was an AGM responsible for some really important administrative duties. For scouting and recommendations, it seemed Gillis relied more on Eric Crawford.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
We produced 1 good NHL'er out of the draft during his entire tenure and that's the 1 player you're thinking he may have vouched for? Well that's... convenient.

As convenient as saying he only vouched for the worst acquisition of the Gillis tenure...

And even if you're right, we now have the guy who definitely vouched for Jankowski instead so...

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
As convenient as saying he only vouched for the worst acquisition of the Gillis tenure...

And even if you're right, we now have the guy who definitely vouched for Jankowski instead so...
Jankowski is going to be the best player of his draft year, though :sarcasm:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

But how about his record as GM of the Orlando Magic!:sarcasm:

"Change" They need to make "tough decisions"
"Finn" is the one that really bother me. How long has he/she been with the organization? Was even Crazy George that long with the BC Lions?

Time for a complete housecleaning.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You see, it's the cold war again. Sweeney is a Habs spy and Benning is a Bruins spy. Who's gonna win? I don't know. Over the Habs board, we were convinced that Bergevin was a Nordiques spy. Until the Kassian trade.

Didn't need any spies on the Leafs (though that may change given recent history). They hurt themselves more with 'self-inflicated' wounds.:sarcasm:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Probably did his job too well, and John Weisbrod didn't like his shoes?

If thats true then theres no way to keep this mafia here they gotta get rid of em if is so stupid now. Burnstien was here for soo long and gilman did all the smart signing and realy knew his stuff and the guys loved him

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Gilman worked in Phoenix when they're team was beyond awful. So I'm not how much I trust his hockey decisions. He also didn't oppose any of the NTC's obviously he thought Higgins and Hansen were part of a dynasty package that couldn't be easily replaced. The last regime failed to have any foresight once so ever like zero it's sad.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Gilman worked in Phoenix when they're team was beyond awful. So I'm not how much I trust his hockey decisions. He also didn't oppose any of the NTC's obviously he thought Higgins and Hansen were part of a dynasty package that couldn't be easily replaced. The last regime failed to have any foresight once so ever like zero it's sad.

Having 3rd liners with NTCs aren't that damaging if the cap hit is low and the NTC only prohibits a handful of teams. It limits options but doesn't kill trade value like a bloated contract would.

I prefer Higgins and Hansen's contracts over Sbisas and Dorsetts NTC free contracts.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

oh ok, so you're saying that once a couple bad contracts are handed out, they should be canned? I agree. benning should have been fired before the playoffs this year.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Having 3rd liners with NTCs aren't that damaging if the cap hit is low and the NTC only prohibits a handful of teams. It limits options but doesn't kill trade value like a bloated contract would.

I prefer Higgins and Hansen's contracts over Sbisas and Dorsetts NTC free contracts.

Dorsett and Sbisa's NTC's are bullet proof. They are even expansion proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad