Confirmed with Link: Lawrence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford AND Mike Burnstein fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Love that they pointed out how Linden sounded very pissed with the fans right now.

Well sorry Linden, we're pissed at you guys too.

I am furious with this management group. It is going to be very difficult for me to politely nod when I see Linden in the neighborhood.. I have a feeling the Canucks are monitoring this board now based on some of the comments too. If they are reading this they better believe fans are pissed and have no faith in the direction of this team.

How can they justify giving the axe to these guys while they keep Delorme on? This situation is so ridiculous it is almost comical. This is Kevin Lowe bad.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010

Whats the point of racing to the bottom with incompetent management? So we can be the new Oilers?

Whos going rebuild once we hit rock bottom?

If the Canucks become the Oilers then Benning will be fired immediately. Vancouver isn't Edmonton, if we ice a losing hockey team fans will lose interest. Ownership will not like that.

RudyRudiger

Mar 24, 2010
Can't believe so many are shocked to see Lawrence "NTC" Gilman go. Guy could have penned one of the worst contracts in NHL history in The Luongo contract.

Letting go of Crawford is dumb though. Definitely signals Weisbrodnis taking over the scouting.

Weren't long term contracts a way of spreading the cap hit over many years? I was under the impression this fairly common for "superstar" players during this period. Thereby giving the teams more cap room and opportunities to keep as many quality players as possible. Unless there was some indication that a new CBA would eliminate that loophole I don't see any problem in taking advantage of it when it was in place.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weren't long term contracts a way of spreading the cap hit over many years? I was under the impression this fairly common for "superstar" players during this period. Thereby giving the teams more cap room and opportunities to keep as many quality players as possible. Unless there was some indication that a new CBA would eliminate that loophole I don't see any problem in taking advantage of it when it was in place.

The contract wasn't that bad until they changed the rules.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
My exact first thought.

Unfortunately its happening in my real life with with teenage son the past two months.

Something new every day; sex, pot, alcohol, sneaking friends in at night, sneaking out at night.....

My family and team are falling apart all at the same time.

Something new every day.

HF is your family.
Solid, dependably predictable.

<hugs>

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
so the other day i jokingly posted:

trade bieksa, sign beauchemin, waive hamhuis, promote sbisa to head scout, send lidster for mr. kurtz, take bartkowski to arbitration, charge franson with tampering, retire doug wilson's number

more/less unbelievable than trade bieksa; give linden vey a raise; trade kassian + 5th for prust; fire gilman, crawford, and henning?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Whats the point of racing to the bottom with incompetent management? So we can be the new Oilers?

There's going to be an attempt on Bo Horvat's life, from Benning agents (though no one can confirm it), but he will be saved by a kindly new janitor at Rogers, with eye bags and a neck goatee. For the rest of the year he will watch over Bo and provide him with sage advice, and then next year when the Aquilinis clean house, he will cast off his coveralls and reveal that HE WAS MIKE GILLIS ALL ALONG.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
The moment we lost to the Kings, the window officially shut. While we may not like how the turn over is being handled and there have been numerous head scratching moves, we were always on this path no matter who was in charge.

It's going to get much worse before it starts to get better.

I survived the 80s and late 90s, this is nothing. At least we had a great run for once.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Hopefully Benning's general incompetence and the Aquilini's requirement to make the playoffs put the management team on a collision course with a pink slip, and we bring in a real hockey regime right when we hit the bottom.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
The moment we lost to the Kings, the window officially shut. While we may not like how the turn over is being handled and there have been numerous head scratching moves, we were always on this path no matter who was in charge.

It's going to get much worse before it starts to get better.

I survived the 80s and late 90s, this is nothing. At least we had a great run for once.

Agreed, and we're going to go through the process of shedding some bandwagon fans who (whether they're aware of it or not) were weaned on success and don't know how to handle crap years.

I've spent a lot of time on other teams forums for uh...schadenfreude reasons. Just reading. You know who were the most rancorous, the most bitter? Not the Oiler fans of recent years, or the Leafs, or the Flames fans during their long playoff drought. Not San Jose after yet another playoff implosion. Or a team like Columbus mired in perpetual futility.

No it was Colorado Avalanche fans after Minnesota eliminated their star stacked team. The bitterness and bile pouring out of that fanbase was off the scale. Everyone in the organization was scum. The players were heartless, the management was inept, you name it. The fans were spoiled. Doing poorly didn't even register for them. It was like they were cheated of their birthrights.

In a couple of years, when we've spent some time getting kicked around the league and drafting high, the boards should be a lot more chill.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Ignoring whether or not I agree with the firings or not (which I don't), the timing is nine kinds of crazy as well. Seriously, you wait until 2/3 days after both the Draft and Free Agency to turf your Director of Player Personnel? (Crawford?) And the guy that manages your contracts and cap? (Gilman?)

Just...I don't even.

Pure conjecture, but I suspect Gilman has been vocally critical of the decisions being made, given how wonderfully brilliant his cap management was until Benning waltzed and destroyed it all. So that meant he had to go. The idiocy of our management has reached the point of comical. We really are becoming Edmonton; employ only friends and relatives.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Agreed, and we're going to go through the process of shedding some bandwagon fans who (whether they're aware of it or not) were weaned on success and don't know how to handle crap years.

I've spent a lot of time on other teams forums for uh...schadenfreude reasons. Just reading. You know who were the most rancorous, the most bitter? Not the Oiler fans of recent years, or the Leafs, or the Flames fans during their long playoff drought. Not San Jose after yet another playoff implosion. Or a team like Columbus mired in perpetual futility.

No it was Colorado Avalanche fans after Minnesota eliminated their star stacked team. The bitterness and bile pouring out of that fanbase was off the scale. Everyone in the organization was scum. The players were heartless, the management was inept, you name it. The fans were spoiled. Doing poorly didn't even register for them. It was like they were cheated of their birthrights.

In a couple of years, when we've spent some time getting kicked around the league and drafting high, the boards should be a lot more chill.

It's hard to say we've been spoiled when the Canucks have never won a cup. I would trade 30 years of losing to win once. It might not happen in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad