Prospect Info: Laurent Brossoit (UPDATE 1/9/17 Re-Called From Bako)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Completely agreed.

It was an Edmonton Oilers-era Devan Dubnyk goal. Runaway Vezina winner Devan Dubnyk does not let in that goal. :cry:

That goal troubled me, because it really sounded like it was a make or break game for LB's career with the Oilers. If that's how he handles that level of pressure it doesn't bode well for playoff pressure.

Dubnyk's "weak" goals were even worse then that. I don't know if he's a runaway as he was earlier in the year, Talbot and Holby are closing on him, imo.

I still have little love for Dubnyk, but good on him for actually working on not washing out of the league, because he was damned close.

It was kind of a make or break, but he did give the Oilers a reasonable chance to win, they were just not very good as a group, which LB can do nothing about.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
How is it make or break? 2 goals are 0% his fault. The top goalies in the league dont make that save more then 20% of the time.

Do you really think that Chia expects him to play absolutely lights out with only two games played in two months? (and 2 other partial games.) Most players that dont play for that long get sent down for conditioning stints. Not saying that hes not conditioned.

He handles himself well for the time he sees. Its still a new league for him. The only really bad goal that comes to mind is that no-looker from Stewart and even that is a vet NHL'er taking advantage of a rookie goalie.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
An agenda? Why do you gotta go there? :laugh:

My only agenda is wanting this team to win another Stanley Cup.

That third goal was weak.

fwiw the Oilers scored two in that game and had one called back by a brutal call.

Wouldn't call it a weak goal. Kucherov had time and space in the slot area and sniped a perfectly placed shot.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How is it make or break? 2 goals are 0% his fault. The top goalies in the league dont make that save more then 20% of the time.

Do you really think that Chia expects him to play absolutely lights out with only two games played in two months? (and 2 other partial games.) Most players that dont play for that long get sent down for conditioning stints. Not saying that hes not conditioned.

He handles himself well for the time he sees. Its still a new league for him. The only really bad goal that comes to mind is that no-looker from Stewart and even that is a vet NHL'er taking advantage of a rookie goalie.

Heading into the game, one could very much argue that it was a make or break start for LB. If LB had pulled a Gustavsson special, then he's likely done as the backup for this season and possibly going forward.

There is an expectation that he be prepared and play well enough that the team has a chance to win. He's pro, he needs to play/act like one.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Heading into the game, one could very much argue that it was a make or break start for LB. If LB had pulled a Gustavsson special, then he's likely done as the backup for this season and possibly going forward.

There is an expectation that he be prepared and play well enough that the team has a chance to win. He's pro, he needs to play/act like one.

That was the weird thing with that start. It was just sorta meh. LB didn't force the issue one way or another.

Based on the start Chia can defend replacing LB or keeping him around. Guess it will depend on what the market is like.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009

I think with that logic every game could be a make or break for any rookie. Goalie or not.

Yes most definitely, he has to be prepared but you cant expect him to play at the top of his game after not getting game action for so long. The team knows this as well. I'm not saying that this allows him to let in weak goals every game. But i would expect one or two here and there until he gets semi-regular time.

I'm a goalie as well(albeit beer league hero), games when I get little shots or have missed a game or two are always rougher then when I am getting peppered or am playing regularly.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
No, that's not the point. It's a week to the trade deadline, he failed to "take" the backup role last year, etc.

It was a make or break because it actually WAS THAT.

Might have to agree to disagree. I still think in the eyes of the team it wasn't. I think if that was the case a trade would have happened or they call gus back up. Even if he looks like bambi sliding around out there. He has way more experience.

If a trade happens at the deadline for a #2 tender then we will have our answer.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm a goalie as well(albeit beer league hero), games when I get little shots or have missed a game or two are always rougher then when I am getting peppered or am playing regularly.

Of course. If anyone is going to talk from personal experience and apply it to the NHL. Odds are it's a goalie. :laugh:

The Oilers need a solid backup who can come in without getting a ton of work for a reason. Talbot is the absolute established #1.

The Oilers need a guy who they can depend on to play maybe five or six games the rest of the season and insurance for the playoffs. Don't think LB is that guy.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
Of course. If anyone is going to talk from personal experience and apply it to the NHL. Odds are it's a goalie. :laugh:

The Oilers need a solid backup who can come in without getting a ton of work for a reason. Talbot is the absolute established #1.

The Oilers need a guy who they can depend on to play maybe five or six games the rest of the season and insurance for the playoffs. Don't think LB is that guy.

Haha well I mean if you do anything super sporadically I dont think the result is going to be as good if you were doing it often and able to get in the "zone".

If we want Talbot to be an absolute work horse and keep up the pace he has been playing at, then maybe you are right in LB not being the guy.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Haha well I mean if you do anything super sporadically I dont think the result is going to be as good if you were doing it often and able to get in the "zone".

If we want Talbot to be an absolute work horse and keep up the pace he has been playing at, then maybe you are right in LB not being the guy.

If another goalie starts five or six games the rest of the way. That actually lessens Talbot's workload a fair amount compared to where he is so far this season.

The Oilers don't have a goalie in the system who can be trusted with those starts at this point.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
If another goalie starts five or six games the rest of the way. That actually lessens Talbot's workload a fair amount compared to where he is so far this season.

The Oilers don't have a goalie in the system who can be trusted with those starts at this point.

I don't think there's any way that our backup doesn't get both Colorado games. So that's 2 right there... First one is a back to back and the other is 2 days later, so maybe not? the back up will get one of the two Vancouver games at the end of the season, depending on Standings. I can't see any other games where you'd want the back up to be playing unless it's clear that we don't need the points.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think there's any way that our backup doesn't get both Colorado games. So that's 2 right there... First one is a back to back and the other is 2 days later, so maybe not? the back up will get one of the two Vancouver games at the end of the season, depending on Standings. I can't see any other games where you'd want the back up to be playing unless it's clear that we don't need the points.

Maybe the March 18th Vancouver game? Do the Kings decide to be sellers? If so the March 28th game? Either way will the Kings still be in the chase by the April 4th game?

Potentially two or three more games there, plus the three you identified and there is the five or six games that a backup could start. If the Oilers have a backup they are confident in.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Man I laugh at people who were so totally wrong about Dubnyk doubling down on that ridiculous move and then try make it look like they know anything about goalies. We will have a good laugh at you at the Vezina party.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I have some issues with people evaluation of Brossoit for a couple of reasons:

1) Brossoit gave us a chance to win up until the 3rd period. By the end of 2nd it was 2-1 *should have been 2-2*. We offered him zero run support and only PacMan scored. MAYBE the Kucherov goal was stoppable, but even if he had stopped it, we couldnt score anything

2) Tampa has been turning it on lately and Brossoit made a number of needed saves against a good team. This was with a pretty poor game by our D

3) Brossoit was sitting for the past month and coming in extremely cold. Doesnt excuse everything

That was a pretty poor effort by the team. I liked LB that game and was more than comfortable. I hope we start giving him more winnable games down the stretch to get his confidence up and also give Talbot a rest. But starting him vs Washington is wrong move. Offering a lamb to the slaughter

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

As a goalie,... there is a big difference between practice-ready and game-ready. The only way to be game ready is to play... GAMES.

There is also a huge difference between being a back up who plays 1 game a week and a backup playing 1 game a month.

Finally, there is a HUGE difference between being a rookie goalie, playing backup and still trying to figure out the NHL... and being forced to figure it out in theory, cuz you actually aren't playing and being a veteran backup who already knows how to play at this level.

Expecting LB to come in, not play, and be ready in the most difficult of backup roles (the once a month backup) was fool-hardy and is on Chia, not LB.

It has like... less that zero bearing on his actual potential or career trajectory and I would think the "pro" GM would/should/and does know that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Man I laugh at people who were so totally wrong about Dubnyk doubling down on that ridiculous move and then try make it look like they know anything about goalies. We will have a good laugh at you at the Vezina party.

Word... Dubnyk had his confidence shattered here behind some absolutely porous defence and did well (except for his final year) considering. He easily could have gone in either direction after he left (and did for a spell), but it had nothing to do with talent.

I have great faith in LB once he settles in on his rebound control and establishes some confidence in his own abilities at this level. But that will only come from playing and really... if we want to DEVELOP our assets, of which he is a key one... he should be in Bakersfield and completely shielded from what is an extremely critical season for this franchise.

Please sign a vet backup and protect our top goalie prospect Chia!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As a goalie,... there is a big difference between practice-ready and game-ready. The only way to be game ready is to play... GAMES.

As also a Goalie, I get it, but these guys are Professionals, if they can't prepare to play game other playing in games, they might not be cut out for this.

Brossoit isn't going to take Talbot's job, so he has to be ready all the time for whenever he'll be called upon.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yup...lord knows that I have been wrong about a few past Oilers but I was firmly in the Dubnyk camp. It was clear that he had lost his confidence and that Management had also lost their confic=dence in the player. That is always a recipe for change.

The Oilers drafted this player...spent much time in trying to develop this player....never bother to support the player and then then promptly blamed this player and then ultimately dumped this player.

There is no other way to frame this except to say that it was an EPIC fail.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yup...lord knows that I have been wrong about a few past Oilers but I was firmly in the Dubnyk camp. It was clear that he had lost his confidence and that Management had also lost their confic=dence in the player. That is always a recipe for change.

The Oilers drafted this player...spent much time in trying to develop this player....never bother to support the player and then then promptly blamed this player and then ultimately dumped this player.

There is no other way to frame this except to say that it was an EPIC fail.

Agreed. Dubnyk played 3 solid seasons for us behind a ****** defence. He had one bad year and everyone gave up on him. I feel the same with Schultz, and I'm afraid it's going to happen to Ebs and RNH. We need to stop being so short sighted when players we've known and seen to have great potential have one off season.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009

I agree. I think the environment and fans got too toxic for Dubnyk. Im sure the players even lost confidence. I think it was time for a change for him. Same idea with Justin Shultz.

I have some issues with people evaluation of Brossoit for a couple of reasons:

1) Brossoit gave us a chance to win up until the 3rd period. By the end of 2nd it was 2-1 *should have been 2-2*. We offered him zero run support and only PacMan scored. MAYBE the Kucherov goal was stoppable, but even if he had stopped it, we couldnt score anything

2) Tampa has been turning it on lately and Brossoit made a number of needed saves against a good team. This was with a pretty poor game by our D

3) Brossoit was sitting for the past month and coming in extremely cold. Doesnt excuse everything

That was a pretty poor effort by the team. I liked LB that game and was more than comfortable. I hope we start giving him more winnable games down the stretch to get his confidence up and also give Talbot a rest. But starting him vs Washington is wrong move. Offering a lamb to the slaughter

Amen

There is also a huge difference between being a back up who plays 1 game a week and a backup playing 1 game a month.

Finally, there is a HUGE difference between being a rookie goalie, playing backup and still trying to figure out the NHL... and being forced to figure it out in theory, cuz you actually aren't playing and being a veteran backup who already knows how to play at this level.

Expecting LB to come in, not play, and be ready in the most difficult of backup roles (the once a month backup) was fool-hardy and is on Chia, not LB.

It has like... less that zero bearing on his actual potential or career trajectory and I would think the "pro" GM would/should/and does know that.

Exactly. We cant be writing off a goalie with less then ten games played. With months in between those games especially.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't he's had a bad game this year. Hasn't stole one but he hasn't played poorly once by my eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad