Prospect Info: Laurent Brossoit (UPDATE 1/9/17 Re-Called From Bako)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Smid was bad even before he was injured. If anything, him going on LTIR was good for the Flames since they didn't have that large cap hit on their bottom pairing anymore. The Brossoit trade for him as highway robbery from day one.

MacT did attempt to re-sign Petry, but Petry was eager to try a different team. The whole situation leading up to that is on MacT, but in his defense he was looking at the cap. At the time, Petry was on the 2nd pairing behind Schultz and had limited offense. Our team defense overall was poor, and so most GMs would be a bit scared to commit long term to keeping it together. A GM with better foresight would have seen more in Petry though. I'm just saying, that was probably MacT's thought process. It's easy for us to say just re-sign everyone, and any Petry haters from the 2010-14 span have shut up long enough to forget they even cared about him at all.

It turned out in the end though. MacT eventually did get all power stripped from him, Petry getting traded hurt the team enough to put us in range of the McDavid pick, and we ended up replacing Petry with Sekera, who is in the same tier.
MacT only was willing to give Petry 1 year. Petry wanted 4.5 mil for 5 years and MacT felt he hadn't proven enough. Didn't attempt to negotiate an extension until way to late a month and a half after he fired Eakins. Such a terrible GM.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
In LB's two appearances I thought he looked ok. Not good but not bad either. Last year he was BAAAAAAAD.

Both games he made some steller saves but this last in relief his one GA was certainly weak.

Hope he an build on the good and fix the bad. Being on the big team with Talbot is good for his development. If he can string a few solid performances together I hope we play him enough to keep Talbot better rested through the rest of the season.

If Talbot gets hurt the Oilers are screwed. Brossoit is not good. Maybe he will come along, but if Chiarelli can pick up a solid backup at the TDL that woul dbe a much smarter move.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
MacT only was willing to give Petry 1 year. Petry wanted 4.5 mil for 5 years and MacT felt he hadn't proven enough. Didn't attempt to negotiate an extension until way to late a month and a half after he fired Eakins. Such a terrible GM.

This just isnt true petry wanted to test FA. His agent isnt a meathead he was the youngest ufa available

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
View attachment 93723

Look at the screen grab right as Steward shoots. He's a vet and knows what he's doing - he looked off LB - then zeroed in on that massive 5-hole gap right as he shot. He was going 5 hole all the way. LB left a ton of room up high on both sides PLUS the huge 5-hole gap since he was playing pass. His dman was playing the pass as he should and leaving the shooter for LB who simply blew the play. LB played that opportunity like the rookie he is - rookies gonna rook.

No. That's an actual technique, and one that can be very effective. A goalie like Dubnyk who struggles with the butterfly would have trouble with it, but the guys like Talbot/Luongo/etc who have very good fundamentals are able to use that to force the shooter to shoot where the goalie wants

This just isnt true petry wanted to test FA. His agent isnt a meathead he was the youngest ufa available

No. He was correct. Petry wanted a long term deal with us

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
No. That's an actual technique, and one that can be very effective.

I know he was in a butterfly but he got suckered and just froze. He didn't snap down into a blocking butterfly as Stewart closed in and the dman took away the pass. He just stood there in a reacting stance and never "reacted". Was reading pass all the way even when it wasn't there any more. Deer in the headlights.

But whatever - I'd play Talbot all 3 home games AND the B2B in Florida. Feed LB to the wolves in Washington - then Talbot can go again the last 3 games with days off going onto the trade deadline. If LB really sucks in Washington then get Berra or someone like that for the stretch run.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I know he was in a butterfly but he got suckered and just froze. He didn't snap down into a blocking butterfly as Stewart closed in and the dman took away the pass. He just stood there in a reacting stance and never "reacted". Was reading pass all the way even when it wasn't there any more. Deer in the headlights.

But whatever - I'd play Talbot all 3 home games AND the B2B in Florida. Feed LB to the wolves in Washington - then Talbot can go again the last 3 games with days off going onto the trade deadline. If LB really sucks in Washington then get Berra or someone like that for the stretch run.

So you want to set LB up to fail by playing him against the best team in the league, then scapegoat him and get another guy? You literally just said that. That's how you ruin prospects. Sounds like an Eakins idea. Also remember that we already beat the Caps this season with Talbot in net.

BTW the Oilers and Caps are my 2 favourite teams.

Last edited:

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
So you want to set LB up to fail y playing him against the best team in the league, then scapegoat him and get another guy? You literally just said that. That's how you ruin prospects. Sounds like an Eakins idea. Also remember that we already beat the Caps this season with Talbot in net.

I want to win more than fool around developing a backup in the middle of playoff race. The WAS game in their rink will be tough - got to give Talbot a rest at some point - and one way we can sneak a point might be by playing LB. LB will be fresh and the team will probably defend like mad knowing the rookie in net. He sinks or swims - and if he sinks - best to find out in a game we are less likely to win before the trade deadline.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I want to win more than fool around developing a backup in the middle of playoff race. The WAS game in their rink will be tough - got to give Talbot a rest at some point - and one way we can sneak a point might be by playing LB. LB will be fresh and the team will probably defend like mad knowing the rookie in net. He sinks or swims - and if he sinks - best to find out in a game we are less likely to win before the trade deadline.

I'd rather play Brossoit in one of the games in the back-to-back. Gives Talbot a better rest but also puts LB in a better position to succeed.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So you want to set LB up to fail y playing him against the best team in the league, then scapegoat him and get another guy? You literally just said that. That's how you ruin prospects. Sounds like an Eakins idea. Also remember that we already beat the Caps this season with Talbot in net.

Not even Eakins would try to screw up a players development that badly.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I'd rather play Brossoit in one of the games in the back-to-back. Gives Talbot a better rest but also puts LB in a better position to succeed.

LB being put in a "better position" is way less important than winning and getting into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Backups don't get to pick and choose their starts unless the team is toast like the end of last year. You put them in where they do the least damage. We are clearly better off starting Talbot back to back in Florida and trying to win both. If we lose that first game - Talbot starts again for sure in the 2nd of the BTB. The losses could snowball on this trip. You do everything possible to get points in those 2 games. Maybe LB starts the 2nd - but only if we win the 1st. But I still like our chances against TBL/Florida better with Talbot in net than against arguably the best team in the NHL in their rink. The Florida games are the easiest on the whole trip - we must get points out of those ones.

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
LB being put in a "better position" is way less important than winning and getting into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Backups don't get to pick and choose their starts unless the team is toast like the end of last year. You put them in where they do the least damage. We are clearly better off starting Talbot back to back in Florida and trying to win both. If we lose that first game - Talbot starts again for sure in the 2nd of the BTB. The losses could snowball on this trip. You do everything possible to get points in those 2 games. Maybe LB starts the 2nd - but only if we win the 1st. But I still like our chances against TBL/Florida better with Talbot in net than against arguably the best team in the NHL in their rink. The Florida games are the easiest on the whole trip - we must get points out of those ones.

How is playing Talbot in both games of the B2B even going to help us win? And how do you think playing LB in Washington will help us win? Talbot can beat Washington, I'm not sure LB can. I do think LB can win one of the Florida games, however.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well I assume his point is that the Washington game is theoretically the least winnable... put your backup in and see what he can do as Brossoit will be well rested and the team has a day off after the b2b Florida games.

The b2b games are against somewhat lesser teams (in theory) so put your stater in there and try to pick up pts in each.

Another option would be playing LB in Chicago to start the road trip... which would give Talbot 4 days off (17th,18th,19th,20th) before he plays the b2b Florida games.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
How is playing Talbot in both games of the B2B even going to help us win? And how do you think playing LB in Washington will help us win? Talbot can beat Washington, I'm not sure LB can. I do think LB can win one of the Florida games, however.

Talbot was just fine B2B against ANA/LAK a couple of weeks ago - won them both.

WAS is by far the least likely win of any game on that trip. TBL/FLA are the most likely. You play the odds and dress your best line-up against the worst teams. If LB manages to stand on his head and get us a point or two against WAS it's gravy. If not then it's likely no loss - less pressure on him actually - nobody expects a win.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Call me crazy - but I put LB in net tomorrow night to have another look at what he can do and decide on whether we need to bring in a backup at the deadline. Give Cam another couple of days off (did well in Miami after a 3 day break) then run him every second day after that for a while. It's an unlikely win either way - but if LB plays well - maybe we can just stand pat in net at the deadline.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Call me crazy - but I put LB in net tomorrow night to have another look at what he can do and decide on whether we need to bring in a backup at the deadline. Give Cam another couple of days off (did well in Miami after a 3 day break) then run him every second day after that for a while. It's an unlikely win either way - but if LB plays well - maybe we can just stand pat in net at the deadline.

Crazy.

LB did not play well against Tampa. That was his chance. Did the Oilers give up two points because of LB? Maybe, maybe not.

Don't give up another two points in a misguided attempt to be fair to Brossoit.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Crazy.

LB did not play well against Tampa. That was his chance. Did the Oilers give up two points because of LB? Maybe, maybe not.

I think he performed as well as you'd expect from your back-up against TB. Didn't allow any soft goals. The team just didn't perform well in front of him.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Crazy.

I second this motion. Washington has too much of a high power offense and the Oilers could be without both Larsson and Sekera tonight. Calgary plays Florida tonight as well so if they win, that 10 point lead two days ago is down to 6 as putting LB in against the league's best team is nothing short of a guaranteed loss.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Putting LB in when we are probably down Larsson and Sekera is bad enough. Now against the Capitals that's just stupid. Could kill the kids confidence.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The Oilers scored 1 goal vs Tampa. No way we were winning that

Exactly. Anyone trying to put any of the blame for that loss on LB has an agenda. The first and second goals were 0% his fault. The team let him down. The 3rd goal was one he probably could have had, but it was a wicked shot as well.

The team lost the game, not the goalie.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly. Anyone trying to put any of the blame for that loss on LB has an agenda. The first and second goals were 0% his fault. The team let him down. The 3rd goal was one he probably could have had, but it was a wicked shot as well.

The team lost the game, not the goalie.

An agenda? Why do you gotta go there? :laugh:

My only agenda is wanting this team to win another Stanley Cup.

That third goal was weak.

fwiw the Oilers scored two in that game and had one called back by a brutal call.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
An agenda? Why do you gotta go there? :laugh:

My only agenda is wanting this team to win another Stanley Cup.

That third goal was weak.

fwiw the Oilers scored two in that game and had one called back by a brutal call.

I don't know if it was weak, or just a goal that a back-up lets in. That said, if you're relying on LB (or a back up) to win you a Cup, you're probably not winning a Cup.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know if it was weak, or just a goal that a back-up lets in. That said, if you're relying on LB (or a back up) to win you a Cup, you're probably not winning a Cup.

Completely agreed.

It was an Edmonton Oilers-era Devan Dubnyk goal. Runaway Vezina winner Devan Dubnyk does not let in that goal. :cry:

That goal troubled me, because it really sounded like it was a make or break game for LB's career with the Oilers. If that's how he handles that level of pressure it doesn't bode well for playoff pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad