Prospect Info: Laurent Brossoit (UPDATE 1/9/17 Re-Called From Bako)

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Bumped this as we now have a game situation to discuss. Nice that we won and he made some good save and looked more confident after a shaky start (lots of juicy rebounds). He looked more stable mentally but my big concern was how "small" he was playing - going into his butterfly early to take away the low shots but giving up tons of room above glove and blocker. Monahan took full advantage on his breakaway for an easy goal. Other team will see this and he will get exposed in his next starts if he continues to cheat low. That said I liked how he looks more composed and he played well enough for us to get the win and give Talbot a rest.

He may be cheating low a bit because of confidence. He didn't want to get lit up especially after his last starts. Playing it safe.
Needs to win a bit.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No kidding, of the terrible things that Mac-T did (there were plenty), dumping Smid before the Oilers had to carry him on LTIR was definitely something positive.

Yup. While I disliked the trade at the time (noway of knowing hed go on LTIR and regress so much before that), it turned out well for us. Even if Brossoit only becomes a back up we still got something for Smid

Although till this day im still perplexed by the ambitions of this trade. We had crappy D and MacT dealt away our top pairing (Smid & Petry) in 2 consecutive years

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yup. While I disliked the trade at the time (noway of knowing hed go on LTIR and regress so much before that), it turned out well for us. Even if Brossoit only becomes a back up we still got something for Smid

Although till this day im still perplexed by the ambitions of this trade. We had crappy D and MacT dealt away our top pairing (Smid & Petry) in 2 consecutive years

Petry trade was bad. But the Smid trade wasn't so bad. I liked Smid a lot, but besides blocking shots, he couldn't do much. MacT also infamously thought Schultz was ready for top-pairing minutes.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Petry trade was bad. But the Smid trade wasn't so bad. I liked Smid a lot, but besides blocking shots, he couldn't do much. MacT also infamously thought Schultz was ready for top-pairing minutes.

Thats what i didnt get. Smid was not a top pairing D, but he was a solid #4. Just made no sense to trade him because he WASNT a top pairing D and then promote a D thats not ready for that role. Basically started the process over and resulted in schultz being ruined and traded

We werent in a cap crunch (his contract wasnt an issue), we didnt have better D to replace him. I dont see why he couldnt just move him back a spot and promote whatever D you thought was a top pairing D (and saw it would have failed, but still have Smid to fall back on)

At the time we dealt a goalie prospect for a slightly better goalie prospect and NHL D for a depth forward. At the time it solved no needs. But by sheer luck this turned out well for us

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Smid was bad even before he was injured. If anything, him going on LTIR was good for the Flames since they didn't have that large cap hit on their bottom pairing anymore. The Brossoit trade for him as highway robbery from day one.

MacT did attempt to re-sign Petry, but Petry was eager to try a different team. The whole situation leading up to that is on MacT, but in his defense he was looking at the cap. At the time, Petry was on the 2nd pairing behind Schultz and had limited offense. Our team defense overall was poor, and so most GMs would be a bit scared to commit long term to keeping it together. A GM with better foresight would have seen more in Petry though. I'm just saying, that was probably MacT's thought process. It's easy for us to say just re-sign everyone, and any Petry haters from the 2010-14 span have shut up long enough to forget they even cared about him at all.

It turned out in the end though. MacT eventually did get all power stripped from him, Petry getting traded hurt the team enough to put us in range of the McDavid pick, and we ended up replacing Petry with Sekera, who is in the same tier.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Schultz was playing top pairing minutes above Petry, which MacT was not forcing the team to do.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Smid was bad even before he was injured. If anything, him going on LTIR was good for the Flames since they didn't have that large cap hit on their bottom pairing anymore. The Brossoit trade for him as highway robbery from day one.

MacT did attempt to re-sign Petry, but Petry was eager to try a different team. The whole situation leading up to that is on MacT, but in his defense he was looking at the cap. At the time, Petry was on the 2nd pairing behind Schultz and had limited offense. Our team defense overall was poor, and so most GMs would be a bit scared to commit long term to keeping it together. A GM with better foresight would have seen more in Petry though. I'm just saying, that was probably MacT's thought process. It's easy for us to say just re-sign everyone, and any Petry haters from the 2010-14 span have shut up long enough to forget they even cared about him at all.

It turned out in the end though. MacT eventually did get all power stripped from him, Petry getting traded hurt the team enough to put us in range of the McDavid pick, and we ended up replacing Petry with Sekera, who is in the same tier.

Completely agree. I personally feel like Tambellini was worse than MacT, but MacT just made the one crucial mistake of choosing a bad (but hyped around the league) coach and sticking with him. At least he tried to prevent the coaching carousel, too bad he picked the wrong guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Smid was being out played by rookies his last year here. That's why he was dealt. He was a bottom 6 on a very weak defense making too much money. Was a very smart move.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Schultz was playing top pairing minutes above Petry, which MacT was not forcing the team to do.

Exactly... Petry gets a lot more love around here than he deserves IMO. He is at best a 2nd pairing guy in my books. His play 1on1 is exceptionally good (due to his physical skills), but the guy can't read a play to save his life, which leaves him (and by extension his partner and the C/1st F coming back ) completely exposed.

Glad he's doing well in MTL, but would rather have Sekera than him (and that was the exchange as far as cap and role goes).

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Exactly... Petry gets a lot more love around here than he deserves IMO. He is at best a 2nd pairing guy in my books. His play 1on1 is exceptionally good (due to his physical skills), but the guy can't read a play to save his life, which leaves him (and by extension his partner and the C/1st F coming back ) completely exposed.

Glad he's doing well in MTL, but would rather have Sekera than him (and that was the exchange as far as cap and role goes).

Was Petry actually being paid 5.5 million? Wow, that's an overpayment.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
Horrible relief performance for Brossoit after Talbot was pulled. I feel like Gustavsson and Brossoit are exactly on the same level. Brossoit is just as shaky, unconfident, and looks like he guesses on half the shots / plays the opposing team is making. That 2-1 guess attempt was atrocious atrocious goal tending. I still feel like the oilers priority should be acquiring a decent backup, especially for the stretch run after the trade deadline. Brossoit inspires 0 confidence and I don't think he will ever be a backup goalie for any NHL team. Its hard to believe that not even one memorial cup oil king player is looking like they will have a permanent job in the NHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Horrible relief performance for Brossoit after Talbot was pulled. I feel like Gustavsson and Brossoit are exactly on the same level. Brossoit is just as shaky, unconfident, and looks like he guesses on half the shots / plays the opposing team is making. That 2-1 guess attempt was atrocious atrocious goal tending. I still feel like the oilers priority should be acquiring a decent backup, especially for the stretch run after the trade deadline. Brossoit inspires 0 confidence and I don't think he will ever be a backup goalie for any NHL team. Its hard to believe that not even one memorial cup oil king player is looking like they will have a permanent job in the NHL.

The Oilers gave up high danger chances like candy at Halloween. Talbot looked like a WHL goalie behind that "performance"

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Okay then

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

I have to disagree. Keep in mind this guy has less than 10 NHL games under his belt and is 23. Talbot didn't see an NHL game until he was 26. He made ~20 saves in relief, and the GA was an unlucky 2 on 1 and an excellent play by Stewart who literally looked off the whole time and didn't look at the net once even when he shot. You cant just say it was bad goaltending and give no credit to the shooter. That's ridiculous. It was a rookie mistake by a rookie goaltender. I'm not sure what you expect from LB at his age and experience.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Completely disagree, Brossoit looked decent to my eye.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Just in case I missed something, Brossoit is the goalie with the 0.930 and Gustavsson is the one with 0.878? But yeah, exact same level.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
I'm actually surprised that people are okay with his performance. I hope all of you are right but I wanna see a performance where the Oilers don't carry Brossoit to victory.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In LB's two appearances I thought he looked ok. Not good but not bad either. Last year he was BAAAAAAAD.

Both games he made some steller saves but this last in relief his one GA was certainly weak.

Hope he an build on the good and fix the bad. Being on the big team with Talbot is good for his development. If he can string a few solid performances together I hope we play him enough to keep Talbot better rested through the rest of the season.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
View attachment 93723

Look at the screen grab right as Steward shoots. He's a vet and knows what he's doing - he looked off LB - then zeroed in on that massive 5-hole gap right as he shot. He was going 5 hole all the way. LB left a ton of room up high on both sides PLUS the huge 5-hole gap since he was playing pass. His dman was playing the pass as he should and leaving the shooter for LB who simply blew the play. LB played that opportunity like the rookie he is - rookies gonna rook.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
View attachment 93723

Look at the screen grab right as Steward shoots. He's a vet and knows what he's doing - he looked off LB - then zeroed in on that massive 5-hole gap right as he shot. He was going 5 hole all the way. LB left a ton of room up high on both sides PLUS the huge 5-hole gap since he was playing pass. His dman was playing the pass as he should and leaving the shooter for LB who simply blew the play. LB played that opportunity like the rookie he is - rookies gonna rook.

Hmm. Great break-down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad