Prospect Info: Laurent Brossoit (UPDATE 1/9/17 Re-Called From Bako)

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Just grabbed ECHL Goalie of the week for the third time.

In 13 ECHL game's LB has 5 Shutouts, a 1.40 GAA and a 943 SP%

Since getting sent down the kid has played lights out.

The team is playing .500 hockey with Brossoit putting up these numbers.

Do we have a hidden gem here? Hopefully he gets a full time AHL gig next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macslow*

Sure hope so. We desperately need to develop a real goaltender one day....

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
It's just ECHL, but I certainly won't complain about those numbers. We really need LB to pan out.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
MacT might come out and look like a genius here, and I really hope he does.

He's the only 'old boy', who has my full support right now. Some hits and misses, but he's making moves. As a rookie GM, he's doing alright and I hope this one works out for him as well.

For the love of god though, we really need a goalie to come out of our system and work.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Do we have a hidden gem here? Hopefully he gets a full time AHL gig next season.

I know that its only the ECHL, but damn is this news great to hear. Hopefully he keeps the upward trend going.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's just ECHL, but I certainly won't complain about those numbers. We really need LB to pan out.

Being the ECHL isn't reason to write it off. Quick played in the ECHL his first pro season and didn't post as good of stats. What Brossoit is doing is still very impressive

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Crossing everything.. hoping.. praying.

I seem to do this for just about every Oiler now days though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He's still 2 to 3 seasons from making his pro debut. Hopefully he puts up good numbers next year in the AHL.

Evets 81

Dec 29, 2012
B.C.
He's still 2 to 3 seasons from making his pro debut. Hopefully he puts up good numbers next year in the AHL.

This... If he is putting up these kind of numbers right now, please, please, please do not rush him up. Let him hang around the minors for a couple years to keep improving and working on his skills.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Lately I like to evaluate goaltending looking at what would prevent them from ever being a great NHL goalie.

An example is: Dubnyk always had great size but lacked some compete and physical athleticism. He was always, what I would call, mentally strong as well. He could shake off bad goals (which happened frequently). I also felt this could work against him in some cases because he didn't shoulder enough responsibilty either. You want a goalie who cant shoulder responsibility but not let it crush them, mentally.

Looking at Brossoit he's 6'3'' (I believe he was drafted at about 6'1'' so the growth is a great benefit) so that's a good enough size.

He's also fairly athletic, and also has a good compete level when he needs to.

I don't see any reason why he can't be an NHL goalie.
I suspect his career will hinge more on his mental fortitude rather than physical ability.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Always liked him when he was on the Oil Kings but was torn that he was a Flame prospect. Didn't like the Smid trade when it first happened, but I'm really starting to warm up to it now. I think and really hope LB can be a solid NHL'er.

Sloth Slothersons*

Obviously don't get your hopes up. But him doing good in the ECHL is better than him doing poorly in the ECHL.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Obviously don't get your hopes up. But him doing good in the ECHL is better than him doing poorly in the ECHL.

Exactly!

Good on him! Step 29 of 147 in making it to the nhl is complete.

Playing well in the echl doesn't mean he is a future nhler, but NOT playing well pretty much means he has no future.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
HF has him being a Mason/Roloson/Smith kind of journeyman #1. I'd hope for a bit more, but a Roloson would be fine with me.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I gotta believe that the plan is to gets Brossoit some starts in the AHL to finish the year. There's a logjam right now, but either Bunz heads down, or Bachman comes up, meaning Bryz heads out.

Lots of B's in net.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Being the ECHL isn't reason to write it off. Quick played in the ECHL his first pro season and didn't post as good of stats. What Brossoit is doing is still very impressive
Not writing it off at all, just tempering my expectations, since I recall Dubnyk having good looking numbers in the ECHL as well.

DarthP0ker

Nov 21, 2013
They need another solid prospect. Sounds like they are banking our future goaltending on this one guy. He's awesome, but what happens if he get injured, long term?
Then it's back to square one

They need to focus on goalies this draft, or at least trading for a solid prospect

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
An example is: Dubnyk always had great size but lacked some compete and physical athleticism. He was always, what I would call, mentally strong as well. He could shake off bad goals (which happened frequently). I also felt this could work against him in some cases because he didn't shoulder enough responsibilty either. You want a goalie who cant shoulder responsibility but not let it crush them mentally.

Dubnyk mentally strong? I have to stop you right there.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

I agree his numbers in the ECHL are really great, but he didn't allow a goal for the Flames ECHL team, got called up, and let in 9 on the AHLs best team. This season at least he seems built for the ECHL, and a little to inexperienced for the AHL. His ability to read plays at a very high speed just isn't there yet. Should be one day, but I don't think you can call Brossoit a 'hidden gem' I think everyone knows/knew he'd be a good goalie if things went right for him. But that can be said about a lot of goaltenders over the years. They need the right opportunities at the right moments to even have a hope at success at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad