GDT: Latvia - Germany

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Well that doesn't look good. Those SO losses to Norway and Kazakhstan sting... even one more point would have been enough now...

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I wanted Latvia to qualify as they are home team but their inability to win clearly when they are NOT underdogs is mindblowing. To be honest, this year Germany has better team and they will have more chances in QF to win I think.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Since 2009, Latvia only made qf 2 times. Thats suprising for such a good hockey nation.
They have huge problems to score against other lesser hockey nations so it's not very surprising. Also they are oldest team in this tourney by average what will they do in few years?

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Bookies' odds for LAT-GER draw were a couple of minutes ago quite interesting - one bookie had actually 3,75 but the majority seemed to have 2,05-2,30.
Friend of mine said this morning the odds for a tie were ~3 and that was bet all the way down to 1.9 at some point :laugh: seemed like a bit of an overreaction

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
They have huge problems to score against other lesser hockey nations so it's not very surprising. Also they are oldest team in this tourney by average what will they do in few years?

well, latvia do have skilled enough players to score enough on lesser hockey nations. the problem might be tactical one.

latvia have couple of youngsters who will take over from the old guys such as abols, Smirnovs, Egle brothers, Dukurs, Lavins, Blugers, Balcers, Dzierkals, Ansons and Svanebergs.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
Did anyone notice germany already leads 2-0? Must be a quite elaborate scheme for the regulation tie...

Haha, my suggestion seems stupid now :D

Damn Germans, can't even play to make me look smart :(

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
What a Stützle - Reichel - Peterka line could have achieved at the juniors.
They were brilliant with Elias playing Center but Reichel looks so good

Reactions: Daeni10

GX

Dec 28, 2011
i'm so tired of following this team, year after year. so much puck possession, which leads to almost no shots on goal. latvia has made only four(?) qfs in 25 years, because it can't score. it doesn't matter whether it's versus italy, ukraine or canada.

this game is not over yet, but latvia needs a goal fast. there is no way latvia is scoring two goals late in third or anything like that.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
well, latvia do have skilled enough players to score enough on lesser hockey nations. the problem might be tactical one.

latvia have couple of youngsters who will take over from the old guys such as abols, Smirnovs, Egle brothers, Dukurs, Lavins, Blugers, Balcers, Dzierkals, Ansons and Svanebergs.

Those are known to solve confidence issues, but not necessarily to achieve Athletic feats :D

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
i'm so tired of following this team, year after year. so much puck possession, which leads to almost no shots on goal. latvia has made only four(?) qfs in 25 years, because it can't score. it doesn't matter whether it's versus italy, ukraine or canada.

this game is not over yet, but latvia needs a goal fast. there is no way latvia is scoring two goals late in third or anything like that.
They can score few goals when they are underdogs so there is no pressure on them. That's not the case today though. They would need exceptional goalie performance but Elvis is not here. And hand on heart... Germany has much brighter future in hockey and is much bigger economical opportunity for IIHF and hockey in general.
I always cheer for Latvia but they are on the way to become B hockey nation. I'm sorry to say that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Latvia definitely should have gone for the 0-0 play style as I was saying. Perhaps they were confident they could win but, yeah. I guess it is what it is.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
They can score few goals when they are underdogs so there is no pressure on them. That's not the case today though. They would need exceptional goalie performance but Elvis is not here. And hand on heart... Germany has much brighter future in hockey and is much bigger economical opportunity for IIHF and hockey in general.
I always cheer for Latvia but they are on the way to become B hockey nation. I'm sorry to say that.
You know that there is an option to not post comments on things you know nothing about? Yes, Germany is on a positive trajectory, that's cool, it'll be 6th in the world soon. but I don't see any nation that may overpass Latvia in the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: Joey Banana

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Playing for 0-0 just isn't a realistic strategy in hockey. Look at the first goal... a clean shot from outside the dot that their goalie flubbed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad