GDT: Latvia - Germany

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Earlier this morning ticket sales began. So far 1500 seats have been sold. It is likely that all 2660 socially distanced seats won't be filled. Not that many people have had the chance to achieve immunity, only today the digital certificate was introduced by Latvia, and the fixed ticket price of EUR 110 for a group stage game is also on the higher side.

A must-win for both teams. (EDIT: Thanks to CAN-FIN, a regulation tie qualifies both GER and LAT)

Latvian roster changes: Kalnins returns in net. Still no Daugavins, however, Batna will play tonight. In a more interesting move, Rubins will be a healthy scratch in favour of Kulda.

Last edited:

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Maybe they agree to tie the game up at the very end but the player tasked with scoring misses the net and it ricochets away and time runs out? :DD

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
So,whoever wins (assuming it's a tie after regulation and need OT/SO to decide) ,gets the third place and faces Russians. The OT/SO loser is 4th and faces Switzerland. On one hand Switzerland is an easier opponent than Russians on the other hand Germany could want to rematch ROC for the 2018 Olympic final.

Alb Tkachuk

Jun 13, 2004
Germany
So,whoever wins (assuming it's a tie after regulation and need OT/SO to decide) ,gets the third place and faces Russians. The OT/SO loser is 4th and faces Switzerland. On one hand Switzerland is an easier opponent than Russians on the other hand Germany could want to rematch ROC for the 2018 Olympic final.

Russia has one game left this evening against Belarus. If they gain at least one point they will win their group.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Are we sure Latvia advances with just one point? Sure, they have the win over Canada. But also they have the loss against Kazakstan, who Canada beat. If all three teams finish on 10 points, it would be a three-way tie. And from there, Kazakstan and Canada has better goal differential than Latvia. Or am I missing something?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Are we sure Latvia advances with just one point? Sure, they have the win over Canada. But also they have the loss against Kazakstan, who Canada beat. If all three teams finish on 10 points, it would be a three-way tie. And from there, Kazakstan and Canada has better goal differential than Latvia. Or am I missing something?
Yes, you are. Latvia has 4 points in that 3 team subgroup. Kazakhstan 2. Canada 3.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Both teams should avoid taking risks. They must realize that a tie will cause both to advance, so even playing for a win could be too risky. That's why I wouldn't be shocked of a very lame and uneventful 0-0, knocking Canada out.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Both teams should avoid taking risks. They must realize that a tie will cause both to advance, so even playing for a win could be too risky. That's why I wouldn't be shocked of a very lame and uneventful 0-0, knocking Canada out.

As a German I really would not want another Gijón. (If anybody is not familiar with it, look up "Germany vs. Austria at the 1982 Soccer World Cup in Spain")
I want to see a real game. If there were fans in the stands I would not be worried in the least, but without fans there the temptation might be greater than otherwise. But still I can't really see them playing for a tie.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
As a German I really would not want another Gijón. (If anybody is not familiar with it, look up "Germany vs. Austria at the 1982 Soccer World Cup in Spain")
I want to see a real game. If there were fans in the stands I would not be worried in the least, but without fans there the temptation might be greater than otherwise. But still I can't really see them playing for a tie.
There are going to be fans in the stands. And nothing like that is going to happen UNLESS the game is tied late in the 3rd.

No one would be willing to risk it all in the last few seconds, obviously.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
There are a couple thousand fans expected

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
As I see it I dont think Germany wants to push for a tie and then risk losing in OT and finishing 4th in the group and most likely playing Russia in the quarters. Same thing with Latvia.

Reactions: GX and Lambo

Raichuuuuu

May 27, 2021
Isn't canada already in the playoffs.? If these teams tie in this match kazakhstan will be last in 3-way tie on 10p whoever gets the 2p. If Latvia gets 3p Germany will miss and if Germany gets 3p Latvia will miss? I tried to calculate it but not 100% sure?

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Isn't canada already in the playoffs.? If these teams tie in this match kazakhstan will be last in 3-way tie on 10p whoever gets the 2p. If Latvia gets 3p Germany will miss and if Germany gets 3p Latvia will miss? I tried to calculate it but not 100% sure?

The first tie break is head to head points. Kazakhstan won't matter.

If Germany and Latvia tie after regulation, Canada is out.
If Germany or Latvia win after regulation, Canada is in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad