"Last Night's Attendance" Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Well, I could post youtube videos of soccer fans singing songs, cheering at the top of their lungs, standing the entire game, and just being way more passionate than any hockey fans, at least in North America. And I'm sure I can find the typical NHL crowd walking up and down aisles all game or sitting still eating hot dogs cheering the most when the video screen puts up a cheering meter.

Hockey fans prefer to scream at their computers while on message boards.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Probably had to give away thousands of seats in both arenas.... :sarcasm:

And not just that - they actually had to give away the seat! I saw people walking home along the interstate with them, because they wouldn't fit in the trunks of their cars.

GSC2k2*

And not just that - they actually had to give away the seat! I saw people walking home along the interstate with them, because they wouldn't fit in the trunks of their cars.
Plus everyone who attended got to leave with a hot blonde.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
nearly 16,000 in Nashville for thursday's game vs the Habs, sold out tonight.

so much for posting all the night's attendance figures, as the thread rules state. again. i bet if i solely post the next st.louis weekday attendance figures i'd be banned from this thread as the rules state.i guess it depends if you're a moderator or not, and whether your opinion is agreeable.

however, getting to the preds, they distributed exactly "3" more tickets than the second worst drawing team in the league on thursday (Isles). Even with Forsberg they still haven't sold out on weekdays like the good markets do, which is especially shameful for a first place team.

as for weekend games...all NHL teams draw better on weekends. good markets sell out week day games. a quick analysis of game day figures shows such.

i didn't post attendances this week since it's always the usual teams who are drawing poorly, and it's repetitive to post the same. but if nashville's attendance figures are posted, then why not all the teams that actually sold out on thursday ???

some people got awfully angry when the pred's 10,000 tickets distributed per game figures were posted by themselves in january. 2/3'rds of the league is selling out. shouldn't the teams that actually do sell out on weekdays be credited, unlike the predators who are being given credit for drawing comparably to the league's second worst drawing franchise in the most recent post by a moderator.

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
nearly 16,000 in Nashville for thursday's game vs the Habs, sold out tonight.

Hello nomorekids!

That's not bad.

Do you think the Preds attendance has improved as a direct result of the Forsberg signing? Also, do you think that the Preds will average over 14,000 in paid attendance this year? I read somewhere about a certain provision in their lease agreement which could be exercised if they do not. However, I believe the Forsberg signing indicates a commitment to that market and a desire by ownership to win THE CUP. :yo:

Thank you.

Ghost

Dec 15, 2002
so much for posting all the night's attendance figures, as the thread rules state. again. i bet if i solely post the next st.louis weekday attendance figures i'd be banned from this thread as the rules state.i guess it depends if you're a moderator or not, and whether your opinion is agreeable.
If it's that big of an issue, then stay out of the thread altogether. I'm not handing out pacifiers to everyone who cries.

AFA posting attendance numbers: folks, I laid down the rule up front that all of the attendance numbers need to be posted ... let's stick with it.

GSC2k2*

however, getting to the preds, they distributed exactly "3" more tickets than the second worst drawing team in the league on thursday (Isles). Even with Forsberg they still haven't sold out on weekdays like the good markets do, which is especially shameful for a first place team.

as for weekend games...all NHL teams draw better on weekends. good markets sell out week day games. a quick analysis of game day figures shows such.

i didn't post attendances this week since it's always the usual teams who are drawing poorly, and it's repetitive to post the same. but if nashville's attendance figures are posted, then why not all the teams that actually sold out on thursday ???

some people got awfully angry when the pred's 10,000 tickets distributed per game figures were posted by themselves in january. 2/3'rds of the league is selling out. shouldn't the teams that actually do sell out on weekdays be credited, unlike the predators who are being given credit for drawing comparably to the league's second worst drawing franchise in the most recent post by a moderator.
Not being someone who watches attendance figures of certain markets like some of our more obsessive fellow posters (like you, Hawker), I have assumed that the fact that you have not been posting your impressively detailed listings means that most, if not all, of your usual targets have been posting numbers that you cannot try to make fun of.

That, plus the fact that any post you DO make regarding southern attendance always uses the term "distributed", leads me to suspect that you are getting pretty damn frustrated that the NHL's attendance numbers are not going along with your smug little expectations. The frustration level in your posts on this matter is rising palpably.

Try to relax.

Now, as to your "points" (such as they are), the "good markets" that you refer to are not "good" markets. They are at the very top of markets as far as attendance is concerned. IF a team's attendance is increasing, and increasing substantially, that is a very good thing, no matter how you spin it. I know you used to live and die with your positions based on night-by-night attendance, and probably still do, but it is silly to approach it that way - positive or negative, for that matter.

GSC2k2*

Hello nomorekids!

That's not bad.

Do you think the Preds attendance has improved as a direct result of the Forsberg signing? Also, do you think that the Preds will average over 14,000 in paid attendance this year? I read somewhere about a certain provision in their lease agreement which could be exercised if they do not. However, I believe the Forsberg signing indicates a commitment to that market and a desire by ownership to win THE CUP. :yo:

Thank you.

Ghost
I believe that provision in their lease applies to paid attendance for 2007-08.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

I guess it depends on if you have a long past history of only posting selected attendance scores which fit your agenda.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I believe that provision in their lease applies to paid attendance for 2007-08.

Hello gscarpenter2002!

There's a cure provision in the lease agreement which Leipold can invoke depending on this year's attendance. Then certain targets would have to be met the following season or else the Preds could be asking the city of Nashville to pay up (purchase 1000s of tickets, basically)!

At least that's what was reported in a recent story in the Tennessean a part of which I have pasted below with a link.

I hope that's helpful! :)

GHOST

"If the Nashville Predators don't boost paid attendance by one-fourth for the rest of the NHL season, owner Craig Leipold will be able to ask for about $2 million in help from the city and lay groundwork for a possible departure.

Under the team's 30-year lease, average paid attendance has to reach 14,000 a game for this year or Leipold can declare next year his pivotal "cure" season — a designation that among other things would let the club ask Metro government to buy thousands of tickets to prop up sales with taxpayer money.

It also would set the stage for the Predators to consider moving to another city at the end of next season, although they would have to pay an $18 million exit fee.

Entering this week, the Predators were averaging 12,766 in paid attendance, with 15 regular season games remaining, including tonight's game against the Los Angeles Kings, according to ticket statements obtained by The Tennessean.

The Predators must draw 16,080 paid fans a game for the rest of the regular season to reach the minimum number called for in the team's contract with Metro. The club has managed to put that many fans in the seats only four times all year through Thursday's game against Toronto."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....702100338/1028

Stone87

Mar 20, 2005
Rochester
The fact that this provision exists makes me wonder if they were ever really commited to making hockey work in Nashville work in the first place.

Stone87

Mar 20, 2005
Rochester
I guess it just strikes me as a very poor deal for the city. All the Predators have to do is raise ticket prices and drop attendence in order to have a way out. The whole thing seems very suspicious.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I guess it just strikes me as a very poor deal for the city. All the Predators have to do is raise ticket prices and drop attendence in order to have a way out. The whole thing seems very suspicious.

Hi Jstone87,

We don't have all the details of the lease agreement. Hardly! I suspect it's more complicated than what we read in the press and would include a "good faith" clause requiring the Preds to at least demonstrate that they have tried their best to meet the targets set out in the agreement -- hence the Forsberg signing? :dunno:

But you are right: the city gave Leipold a sweetheart deal to induce him to that market, including providing Leipold with

- an arena free of any equity investment by the Preds to manage for both hockey and non-hockey events,

- $35 million towards the then $80 million (?) expansion fee and other hockey related investments,

- more recently $8 million for a new scoreboard and other improvements,

- and as we now learn certain attendance guarantees!

Not too bad! Leipold seems like a good businessman.

In return for the above, it seems the Preds would have to pay a fee should they ever leave town.

You can read about some of that here if you're interested:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070112/SPORTS02/701120420/1028

GHOST

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay

Edited by IB - from the first post of this thread:

3. If you're going to post attendance figures for "last night", you must post ALL of the attendance figures. Being selective about which numbers to post will not be allowed. (How you want to interpret them is up to you - see point #5.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Awww. I would gladly put them all up so I can brag on the biggest Bolts crowd of the season :D, but I don't know of a site that makes it quick and easy. It's a lot of clicking around on NHL.com to get to attendance figures.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Can you guys take the Leipold - Nashville deal to the Predators forums? This thread is for complaining about small market attendance, not arguing the Tennessean's "reporting" of the deal.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Can you guys take the Leipold - Nashville deal to the Predators forums? This thread is for complaining about small market attendance, not arguing the Tennessean's "reporting" of the deal.

i disagree. edmonton is the smallest market in the NHL yet has excellent tickets distributed.

this thread was created by a moderator to ensure the attendance figures of every team are posted. small markets are not discriminated against.

for example,

st.louis - big market - terrible reported attendance this season
chicago - big market - terrible reported attendance this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00