"Last Night's Attendance" Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Have you SEEN American cities lately? Most of the world looks better off than the USA these days. Oh, and the south... :shakehead

Now, here I do take issue.

People from Hartford shouldn't be throwing stones so close to their glass houses. I went to UConn for a couple of years, and I was eager to get to the south...or wherever else.

GWhale*

Now, here I do take issue.

People from Hartford shouldn't be throwing stones so close to their glass houses. I went to UConn for a couple of years, and I was eager to get to the south...or wherever else.

My 'house' is made of Portland brownstone. What's yours made of? This is multiple choice to make it easier.

a) Tin
b) Plywood
c) Aluminum (for when it's traveling)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
My 'house' is made of Portland brownstone. What's yours made of? This is multiple choice to make it easier.

a) Tin
b) Plywood

brick, but i should point out that I LIVED in Nashville, but was born and now live back in NYC.

But again...nice try. Just try to be a little more patient when dealing with those that AREN'T from cultural meccas like Hartford :eek:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

a) Tin
b) Plywood

He does have a point. Quality of life, quality of air, quality of job opportunities, and quality of education and safety all have to do with what your house is made of. I'll give credit for a good point when I see it. Per capita income. All that terrible stuff.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
He does have a point. Quality of life, quality of air, quality of job opportunities, and quality of education and safety all have to do with what your house is made of. I'll give credit for a good point when I see it. Per capita income. All that terrible stuff.

There's no sense in arguing with him. He's had all kinds of primary research at his hands. He's seen Andy Griffith, he's even seen Hee-Haw. This guy KNOWS the south, and nothing a couple of rubes like us can say will change his sophisticated, Hartford mind.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
There's no sense in arguing with him. He's had all kinds of primary research at his hands. He's seen Andy Griffith, he's even seen Hee-Haw. This guy KNOWS the south, and nothing a couple of rubes like us can say will change his sophisticated, Hartford mind.

Don't get me wrong, I love the people from Hartford for the most part but even the most candid of them will tell you it's the armpit of new england.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I feel that this topic is going off topic. Now, let us discuss why all Southern markets are bad for the NHL, and why the NHL should move Nashville, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Atlanta, and Florida to Kitchener, Winnipeg, Moose Factory, Lethbridge, and Prince George.

GWhale*

Don't get me wrong, I love the people from Hartford for the most part but even the most candid of them will tell you it's the armpit of new england.

That would be New Bedford or Bridgeport, actually.

Coincidentally, you appear to be from North Carolina. Therefore, you probably deserve some criticism of your cities in return. However, having been there, I'm still unaware of any cities in North Carolina. In fact, the entire state just seemed like one big bland suburb where people just drive to work, Wal-Mart, and back to their single family clapboard house, all whilst wearing clothing styles of a decade ago.

Sure you're economy might be OK, for now, but just wait until the price of gasoline jumps. You'll all starve to death if you can't drive to your nearest Wal-Mart. I'm actually a bit concerned for all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
That would be New Bedford or Bridgeport, actually.

Coincidentally, you appear to be from North Carolina. Therefore, you probably deserve some criticism of your cities in return. However, having been there, I'm still unaware of any cities in North Carolina. In fact, the entire state just seemed like one big bland suburb where people just drive to work, Wal-Mart, and back to their single family clapboard house, all whilst wearing clothing styles of a decade ago.

Sure you're economy might be OK, for now, but just wait until the price of gasoline jumps. You'll all starve to death if you can't drive to your nearest Wal-Mart. I'm actually a bit concerned for all of you.

You know, i'm just going to go ahead and cut this little exchange short. No sense in getting into some long winded debate regarding the culture of a place where one of the participants has obviously never been. Add that with the trump card of the reason we're here discussing this matter, and it makes for little motivation to continue this virtual exchange of measurements and urination for distance.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN

No, for CT that's gotta be Bridgeport.

After living in CT for 23 years...I'm very happy here in TN and strongly believe that the fan base we have here in Nashville is stronger than that which I experienced during the final years of the Whalers tenure in Hartford.

By no means will I say that during the Whalers' heyday (especially circa 1986) the fan base wasn't strong (I was only 5 years old and didn't attend my first game until March 28th, 1988 (4-0 shutout win over the Blues...Mike Luit in net for the Whalers), but towards the end the franchise had created a lot of ill will due to the trading of star players, consistent playoff-less seasons, and then of course Karmanos and his slimeball agenda.

This is not a post to compare Hartford's present market to Nashville's or any ignorant post. I simply loathe this constant bickering about hockey in Nashville and want to say that coming from a "traditional" market to this "non-traditional" market there is a difference, but it is really about the diffference in attitude.

Hartford, Winnipeg, Quebec City, etc (traditional markets) feel that they deserve an NHL franchise due to there location and "traditional" hockey roots. They have an "entitled" attitude and believe that other markets, especially non-traditional (Southern US) markets don't deserve franchises.

Here in Nashville and I would venture to say in other "non-traditional" markets there is an attitude too. It is an attitude of excitement and at the same time hope. We are excited about the sport in our cities and support it as much as we can individually. In addition we hope to continue to spread the word about our great game and introduce it to new potential fans. We view the NHL in our cities as a member of our families in many ways and protect our franchises vehomently while at the same time nutureing it and hoping for the best for not only the present, but the future.

There is not a problem with any market as long as there is someone (an owner) willing to give it time to grow/strengthen a fanbase. Hockey is a niche sport in the entire US. You will not find many places ready where you can simply put a team and open the doors and have a guaranteed fanbase. Hartford, Kansas City, and the above mentioned cities are not the answer. They each have issues as do the so-called "shaky markets". Owners (especially Leopold) are not going to pull up stakes in their present city to move to another city where they have to start from scratch. They see their markets for what they are and will exhaust all avenues to make their franchise work prior to even considering relocation.

Get used to it...hockey is here to stay in the South. If you want teams in your cities work to strengthen the local market as much as possible. Attend college games, junior hockey, volunteer in your amateur hockey associations, maybe even support your local minor league hockey team (Wolf*Pack, Sound Tigers, even the Falcons for CT folks) and demonstrate the demand for NHL hockey so that not only the NHL is forced to take notice, but your local government leaders are forced to take action as well.

Stop the hatred...it only takes away from the image of the sport we all love so dearly. Support the franchises that are in place and maybe, just maybe either a team will be relocated in the future or the NHL will expand again (not that I condone either at this point in time) and NHL hockey will wind up in your market.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Wow, we actually agree on something...how rare based on our previous exchanges. :sarcasm:

I could care less about his opinion of who "deserves" a team and who doesn't.

I simply took issue, as someone that is\was a northerner living in the south, with his laughably cliched characterization of the south. I thought perhaps there'd be some redemption for him..but...nope...see his second attack on Caniac.

Nashville108*

Yeah thats what happens in the South. And then in Canada they skate from their freezing wooden shack to an ice fishing hole, find nothing, go home and settle for having only maple syrup to nourish their bodies. Right?

Let's stop the ignorance.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah thats what happens in the South. And then in Canada they skate from their freezing wooden shack to an ice fishing hole, find nothing, go home and settle for having only maple syrup to nourish their bodies. Right?

Let's stop the ignorance.

Now now, let's sit back and watch him flex his muscle about how inferior the south is to anything that is available in Hartford. No need to fire back with ignorance when ignorance is displayed. It's more entertaining to watch unfold if you're not participating.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
I could care less about his opinion of who "deserves" a team and who doesn't.

I simply took issue, as someone that is\was a northerner living in the south, with his laughably cliched characterization of the south. I thought perhaps there'd be some redemption for him..but...nope...see his second attack on Caniac.

He did the same thing to me several times earlier this year when I went at it with him over supporting the Hartford Wolf*Pack (AHL) as opposed to letting them fail and then supporting whatever "minor league" team (probably another AHL team) came into the Hartford Civic Center afterwards.

I just view most of the Northern attitude (in many things...not limited to hockey) to be arrogant and ignorant. I can honestly say that I'm proud to be a "transplant" here in Nashville and although I don't love everything...I feel very "at home" here and wouldn't move back to CT anytime soon (although I hold no ill will towards the State or the City of Hartford).

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
He did the same thing to me several times earlier this year when I went at it with him over supporting the Hartford Wolf*Pack (AHL) as opposed to letting them fail and then supporting whatever "minor league" team (probably another AHL team) came into the Hartford Civic Center afterwards.

I just view most of the Northern attitude (in many things...not limited to hockey) to be arrogant and ignorant. I can honestly say that I'm proud to be a "transplant" here in Nashville and although I don't love everything...I feel very "at home" here and wouldn't move back to CT anytime soon (although I hold no ill will towards the State or the City of Hartford).

Some people in the north may be ignorant (of the south in this case, particularly hockey) but using a blanket statement to say such isn't any less ignorant on your part.

And to get this thread back on topic Detroit with the sell out tonight, Washington with 13,622... I would have thought there was more, looked fuller then that to me the parts I watched.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Some people in the north may be ignorant (of the south in this case, particularly hockey) but using a blanket statement to say such isn't any less ignorant on your part.
You're right, I apologize. I made a blanket statement that is as ignorant as those I was complaining about. Got caught up in the moment I guess.

And to get this thread back on topic Detroit with the sell out tonight, Washington with 13,622... I would have thought there was more, looked fuller then that to me the parts I watched.
Yes, let's get back on topic. Honestly there were a lot of empty seats visible at both games (I was switching back and forth constantly), but Detroit's are sold to businesses and simply went unused while Washington's were simply unpurchased/distributed.

Thought the Washington/San Jose game was far more entertaining, but that could have just been my dislike of the Wings shining through.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
You're right, I apologize. I made a blanket statement that is as ignorant as those I was complaining about. Got caught up in the moment I guess.

Yes, let's get back on topic. Honestly there were a lot of empty seats visible at both games (I was switching back and forth constantly), but Detroit's are sold to businesses and simply went unused while Washington's were simply unpurchased/distributed.

Thought the Washington/San Jose game was far more entertaining, but that could have just been my dislike of the Wings shining through.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that peaceful of a reply... for a second I thought I ventured into the wrong thread. No one ever is that nice in this thread.:)

I didn't spend a bunch of time on the Caps game and most of it was the shootout. That could be why it seemed fuller.

Yeah I thought the Red Wings was less then full but the tickets were sold at least. It may (and does) suck for the casual fan who can't get in but no since in complaining about a full house.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Wow, I wasn't expecting that peaceful of a reply... for a second I thought I ventured into the wrong thread. No one ever is that nice in this thread.:)
I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. I also "agree to disagree" a lot when an argument starts going nowhere as well. I read this thread quite often and mostly keep my feelings to myself, but felt compelled to post tonight.

Peaceful, intelligent conversation...that's what we're all here for...right? :sarcasm:

I didn't spend a bunch of time on the Caps game and most of it was the shootout. That could be why it seemed fuller.
I was watching the TSN feed and they interviewed the Caps' Brian Pothier during the first intermission. Although it was an intermission, it looked like there were large areas of seating that had not been touched. Obviously I couldn't tell for sure, but that was the appearance I got from the TV feed.

My favorite moment of the game had to be when Pierre McGuire was "calling out" Joe Thornton for not moving his feet and failing to create scoring chances or dominate the game as he can. It was just good to hear McGuire talk about someone outside of Phaneuf.

Yeah I thought the Red Wings was less then full but the tickets were sold at least. It may (and does) suck for the casual fan who can't get in but no since in complaining about a full house.
Honestly, I don't think there is too much wrong with the situation except for as you mention seats being unavailable for "Jack and Jill" fan to purchase. At least there is a demand created for the tickets due to the sold out building...regardless of however many people are in the seats. There will always be empty seats in a building...even if it is Game 7 of the SCF being played in Toronto. Someone will have an emergency and will either have to miss the game or will have to leave during the game. That is human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese