"Last Night's Attendance" Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Must be pretty easy to see from up on that high horse of yours.

Here are the year-by-year attendance marks in Buffalo, for what it's worth:
http://www.kenn.com/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl_buf_attendance.html

What happened in 1995-96? Must have been a pretty much eight-month snowstorm.

Isn't is kind of sad that you're pointing to an old extinct stadium with a tiny capacity, hosting a bad team that finished fifth in the division with no Cup wins in franchise history, over ten years ago (when attendance in general was lower), in one of the smallest and economically depressed markets in the NHL and the numbers are nearly identical to the New Jersey figures from this season?

Plus, I don't criticize bad teams that don't draw. I don't blame Chicago or St Louis fans for not being supportive.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Isn't is kind of sad that you're pointing to an old extinct stadium with a tiny capacity, hosting a bad team that finished fifth in the division with no Cup wins in franchise history, over ten years ago (when attendance in general was lower), in one of the smallest and economically depressed markets in the NHL and the numbers are nearly identical to the New Jersey figures from this season?

Plus, I don't criticize bad teams that don't draw. I don't blame Chicago or St Louis fans for not being supportive.

Ten years ago, you would have been the one in here coming up with excuses. That's my point.

And if 1995-96 is too far back, what about 2002-03?

Good day, sir.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Ten years ago, you would have been the one in here coming up with excuses. That's my point.

And if 1995-96 is too far back, what about 2002-03?

Good day, sir.

And my point is bad teams don't need a "list of excuses". Being bad is understandable enough.

A borderline elite team, with a recent history littered with success, from a gigantic (and apparently extremely affluent) market shouldn't struggle at the gate.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Boston's bad, and has been bad for some time now.

Yet this post of yours: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=7841814&postcount=872

Leads one to believe that you think Boston attendance should be higher. Isn't being bad "understandable enough"?

Boston isn't bad and they haven't been bad "for some time now". They're a game over .500 (sure, loser points, but whatever) and projected to miss the playoffs by only a couple of games. There's still a pretty decent shot that they can make the postseason.

They were a 100 point team two seasons ago and before last year had made the playoffs three straight seasons.

Like New Jersey, Boston's numbers are disappointing to me.

Unlike New Jersey, they're not elite, haven't won numerous Cups recently, and don't have a phenomenal front office.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Boston isn't bad and they haven't been bad "for some time now". They're a game over .500 (sure, loser points, but whatever) and projected to miss the playoffs by only a couple of games. There's still a pretty decent shot that they can make the postseason.

They were a 100 point team two seasons ago and before last year had made the playoffs three straight seasons.

They're in twelfth place (out of fifteen), and they're eight points behind eighth-seed Montreal. I don't know what your definition of "bad" is, however.

And they were bad last year, so they haven't been good since before the lockout.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
They're in twelfth place (out of fifteen), and they're eight points behind eighth-seed Montreal. I don't know what your definition of "bad" is, however.

With 4 games in hand on Montreal, 4 on Carolina, 3 on Tampa, 2 on Toronto and the Islanders, and 1 on the Rangers. They're in the playoff hunt. I don't think a team with legitimate playoff hopes is bad.

And they were bad last year, so they haven't been good since before the lockout.

Right. So they were bad for a season. Not exactly "bad for some time".

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Sigh. You just like to argue, don'tcha?

Fine - you're not a hypocrite when it comes to attendance figures. :sarcasm:

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
With 4 games in hand on Montreal, 4 on Carolina, 3 on Tampa, 2 on Toronto and the Islanders, and 1 on the Rangers. They're in the playoff hunt. I don't think a team with legitimate playoff hopes is bad.

Right. So they were bad for a season. Not exactly "bad for some time".

I would consider one postseason series win in the last 12 seasons pretty mediocre.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Weather conditions or not, that's pretty sad for a team as good as NJ.
Yeah your right if there was no snow we would still had only 10,000 the local news media did a good job of scaring everyone from going out on the roads. They were clear of ice and snow and traffic I was at the game and did 80mph the whole way up the Jersey turnpike and watched the replay of the game I could hear myself in the crowd all the way from the nosebleeds. Pathetic any were up north would be a full house in those conditions. On the bright side Im predicting a close or a possible capacity crowd for Fridays game v.s Pittsburgh:)

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Sorry, that's not an acceptable reason to not have a sellout. Clearly if you can't pack the place in an ice storm/blizzard/etc., you're clearly not supporting your team and thus don't deserve to have one.

:rolleyes:
I have been saying that to myself for years if life were fair we would be moving to K.C and Pittsburgh would have a new building and the NHL would be still in Winnipeg but, I guess Im fortanate to have a great team here and I'll continue to support the Devils wish some of these Ranger fans would convert to the darkside but too damm loyal to the Rags to do that. When we were struggling to sell out in the 03playoffs the Canadian media asked John Madden about our attendance woes and he replied "lets face it their all Ranger fans in this market".

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Hopefully New Jerseys attendance will improve once the new arena is opened. Average of 13,721 when your team is as good as theirs isn't very good.
We averaged over 16,300 per game in the mid thru the late 90's playing what I would admit a way more boring style than we do now my theroy is at about 1998 our fan base had hit its peak average attndance that year was at 17,000 with about 18 sellouts than ticket prices greatly increased from there on out since but, have stayed the same the past several years. Newark should be much better with the new building casual fans will be interested in going and the building will be way more easy to get to for a fan base so spread out around the N.J. and N.Y. metro area.Most teams our located in cities with mass transit systems and the Devils will be helped with that in Newark.

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006
Expect a sellout on LI tongiht. They cancelled the student discount promo for tonight due to the massive demand for tickets tonight.

Spiral

Dec 24, 2005
A standing room crowd of 17,363 at Honda Center again tonight. Tenth straight sellout for the Ducks.

TVanek26*

Must be pretty easy to see from up on that high horse of yours.

Here are the year-by-year attendance marks in Buffalo, for what it's worth:
http://www.kenn.com/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl_buf_attendance.html

What happened in 1995-96? Must have been a pretty much eight-month snowstorm.

You know what's funny?Every single season that Nashville has been existed for....Buffalo has had a better attendance.If you wanna talk about bad attendance,look at 02-03 where we were a bottom 5 team and had our owner go to jail, but what's funnier about that season is where Nashville was in terms of attendance....last.Or in 03-04,when Nashville made the playoffs and had the 3rd worst attendance in the entire league.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
You know what's funny?Every single season that Nashville has been existed for....Buffalo has had a better attendance.If you wanna talk about bad attendance,look at 02-03 where we were a bottom 5 team and had our owner go to jail, but what's funnier about that season is where Nashville was in terms of attendance....last.Or in 03-04,when Nashville made the playoffs and had the 3rd worst attendance in the entire league.

Ummm, yeah. That sure is funny!

What's even funnier is that the person I was responding to was talking about New Jersey's attendance, and not Nashville's. Isn't that hilarious?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
15,862 for a 5 pm start time in Nashville...very pleasantly surprised, historically those are poorly attended games during the week for us. A little over a thousand short of a Monday night sellout.

Thursday should be decent, college\2 dollar beer night.

GSC2k2*

15,862 for a 5 pm start time in Nashville...very pleasantly surprised, historically those are poorly attended games during the week for us. A little over a thousand short of a Monday night sellout.

REAL hockey fans don't need 2 dollar beer night!!!

Hmmm, wait a second ...

Nashville108*

wow. I'm impressed. Nashvillians really stepped up for this one. Last time we had a 5 o clock game we had like 11k right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->