Last 100 GAMES = Matthews and Eichel (This is Strange)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this is the definition of cherry picking stats

1) you are comparing Matthews as a rookie/sophmore vs Eichels 2nd and 3rd seasons
2) you use ppg but don't even mention goals per game where matthews is about 0.5 and eichel is closer to 0.35
3) play away from the puck is also ignored. Matthews is very good in his own zone. Eichel isnt. +16 vs -38 in that regard.

but yes, their last 102 games or whatever cherry picked stat you wanna take, Matthews is only 97-95pts up on EIchel.
that being said, he has turned the 30th place team into a contender and buffalo is still god awful

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
CantLoseWithMatthews, why would I care about first 100 games?

Last 100 is more relevant to who these players are today.

Apparently so is the NHL.

It's pretty sad that people have to compare different years, awards are given out to guys who out-score guys in the same year.

Besides it's just last 100 games, neithjer of these guys are rookies, Eichel missed two months so technically he's only really played half a season more then Matthews has, and he's less then a year older. AND Matthews played with MEN before the NHL. All those intangibles make it an accurate comparison.

It's not sad at all, it's unfair and the only reason you're doing it is because it fits with your narrative. 73 of those 100 games are Matthews rookie season, so yes you're literally comparing Matthews rookie season to Eichels sophomore.

Compare the first 100 and get back to me, that'll paint a much clearer and fair picture.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Mitch Marner and William Nylander had more points than Eichel in their rookie years.

EVERYBODY KNOWS they are the same players!

Reactions: King Clancy

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
You know. I'm really regretting posting about FACTS.

Seeing so many people with Matthews or a Leaf in there AV giving insecure replies like "This is dumb, Matthews is simply better."

Why is it dumb to point out facts, what the latter is doing is DUMB for not supporting their opinion.

Mitch Marner and William Nylander had more points than Eichel in their rookie years.

EVERYBODY KNOWS they are the same players!

What a terrible argument this is.

You're comparing rookie years now.

I'm talking about the last 100 games, which gives you a better sense of who plays are TODAY as I mentioned.

Matthews supporters are really just reaching now.

And the guy above with the cartoon AV just said it would give you a much clear picture if you compared the first 100. LOL. Why would the past be more prevalent then the future to what we're discussing now.

That's like saying The Kings won the cup in 2014 so they should be the favourites in 2016 (even though the hawks won in 2015)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Don't be silly. Matthews is the better player.

This is just as dumb as when people were saying that Buffalo had a better team than the Leafs.

the sabres were apparently 2 years ahead in their rebuild
and Matthews would have went 3rd in the 2015 draft

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I love the vain "I am so shocked by this information" tone to the OP. You feverishly spent the entire off season arguing, moving goal posts for anything Eichel or Buffalo. Everyone can see right through it. If it even slightly favours Eichel then you drive it in to the ground like you wouldn't believe but every single counter point that gets brought up, well just seems to be deemed useless to you. Like the fact you love comparing them at different points in there careers lol.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
this is the definition of cherry picking stats

1) you are comparing Matthews as a rookie/sophmore vs Eichels 2nd and 3rd seasons
2) you use ppg but don't even mention goals per game where matthews is about 0.5 and eichel is closer to 0.35
3) play away from the puck is also ignored. Matthews is very good in his own zone. Eichel isnt. +16 vs -38 in that regard.

but yes, their last 102 games or whatever cherry picked stat you wanna take, Matthews is only 97-95pts up on EIchel.
that being said, he has turned the 30th place team into a contender and buffalo is still god awful
Oh so Matthews is the reason Toronto is so good now

Why are Nylander, Marner, Rielly, Zaitsev, Andersen talked about then? Hmm? Oh right because its a team game and Buffalo isnt near as good as Toronto. But of course thats Eichel’s fault.

If anything every one of Eichels points is more impressive than Matthews

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto

I'm talking about the last 100 games, which gives you a better sense of who plays are TODAY as I mentioned.

Matthews supporters are really just reaching now.

You are comparing an older player at a later stage of his career to a younger player. It's not fair to compare Eichels 3rd year to Matthews 2nd. You compare rookie vs rookie, year 2 vs year 2, etc.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Matthews supporters are really just grasping at straws here.

and Matthews is still better lol.

0.89ppg vs 0.81ppg

I like Eichel. he isnt as good as Matthews, but he is probably in a tier just below with Barkov.
probably the 4th or 5th best under 22 C in the league

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
CantLoseWithMatthews, why would I care about first 100 games?

Last 100 is more relevant to who these players are today.
You would care if Matthews didn't blow Eichel out of the water completely. The only reason you're making this comparison is because it flatters eichel to use his performance from when he's older to give him an advantage. he's still nowhere near Matthews in terms of defensive play, but at least there's also not a canyon in offense like in their first 100 games

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
First 100 games:
Eichel: 70 points
Matthews: 90 points

This thread is silly.

Whoa there. Why are you here adding context?

I do love the slow evolution here tho:

"Eichel Ainec, lol stupid Leafs fans"

Matthews crushes Eichels rookie season.

"Ok, but Eichel has a higher ceiling if we just compare his sophmore season to Matthews rookie season. Eichels rookie season? Oh no that doesn't count"

What's gonna happen when Matthews is better again this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad