Last 100 GAMES = Matthews and Eichel (This is Strange)

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
He plays more, he has other decent players like O Rielly, Okposo, Kane for half the year and Risto, but yeah his team sucks so bad so he can be inferior to Matthews at every point in their career and it's not his fault (despite playing way more than Matthews).

And if Matthews played 4 powerplay minutes per game and 10% more TOI he'd score more, btw you know what my uncle would be if he was my aunt?

Why doesn't the coach trust him with more minutes then? Maybe because there are other options and they don't need to ride their top player. Also why are you mentioning players he didn't play with as beneficial? Okposo came back from life altering medical emergency, Kane was good for awhile and when they pulled him off Eichel's wing he was useless, O'Reilly is the 2c and only get PP time with Eichel. But if you're saying that's a better lineup than Marleau, Nylander, Marner, ok I guess that s your opinion.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
1) You butchered that saying.
2) Someone who still dreads family reunions due to their insufferably obtuse nephew??

Eichel was more important to the Sabres than any other forward was to their team (when he was in the lineup). That, to me, is the most telling statistic as to what kind of player he is. McDavid is the best young player in the league by far, MacKinnon is probably 2nd, and then a group of other players like Eichel, Laine, Barkov, and Matthews are in a dead heat behind him.

If you think Matthews is head-and-shoulders better than him, that's your prerogative.

Ofc he was, his team is trash, Polak would be the most important player on a AAA midget team, that means nothing.

Not a single argument made, just opinions and conjecture, weren't you the guy whining about my "no argument?"

SAD!

Why doesn't the coach trust him with more minutes then? Maybe because there are other options and they don't need to ride their top player. Also why are you mentioning players he didn't play with as beneficial? Okposo came back from life altering medical emergency, Kane was good for awhile and when they pulled him off Eichel's wing he was useless, O'Reilly is the 2c and only get PP time with Eichel. But if you're saying that's a better lineup than Marleau, Nylander, Marner, ok I guess that s your opinion.

The same reason he played Brown and Hyman with him to start his career or do you think NHL coach's are infallible?

It's not a better lineup, it's just not that much worse to overlook nearly 15% more TOI and 100% more PP TOI.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
This might be one of the worst arguments I ever seen, let me try and top it:

Matthews led his team to the playoffs. Eichel didn't.

Yeah we know the Sabers suck, you also get more opportunity to shine in a sucky team or does that not matter?

My bad for cherry picking goals, points, ppg, seasons, TOI and PP TOI.

No he didn't. JVR did because he has more goals and is therefore more dynamic.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This might be one of the worst arguments I ever seen, let me try and top it:

Matthews led his team to the playoffs. Eichel didn't.

Yeah we know the Sabers suck, you also get more opportunity to shine in a sucky team or does that not matter?

My bad for cherry picking goals, points, ppg, seasons, TOI and PP TOI.

You keep bringing up the opportunity thing, but really with players the calibre of Matthews and Eichel (1st overall talent types), theyre going to get opportunity no matter what team they play on. That saying really only applies to guys who would normally be second liners on a good team playing all the time on a bad team. Its a guy like Darren Helm on Detroit getting chances on the PP that applies to, not 1st or 2nd overall types.

I dont really think either of these guys have separated themselves from the other enough for you to be necro bumping threads and act like its clear cut Matthews is better. Matthews can score from anywhere and isnt much of a playmaker, so his linemates likely dont impact his production the way Eichels do. Eichel is a better play maker than Matthews, if you gave him Matthews team I'm sure he would produce more than he does with Buffalo.

You keep saying he gets more PP time on ice, but I would also bet even with less ice time Eichel would produce more on Torontos PP than Matthews is right now. These guys are very close and its too early to act like one is for sure better already, especially when part of your argument has to be that one made playoffs, if youre reaching that far to make your point its probably a tough point to defend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad