Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As Slafkovsky says there is more meatheads in the AHL trying to take your head off
It doesn’t matter. Hutson’s been dealing with that his whole life and will deal with it at the NHL level. Slaf was almost decapitated in his first year on a few occasions.

In the NHL, Hutson will have more time to avoid hits and adapt before moving up.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I can't see him playing anywhere outside of Montreal. We hit the jackpot, I don't know how he fell to the end of the 2nd.

Long term I don't think he'll be part of the top pairing but 2nd/3rd pairing + 1st line PP minutes.
20% plus pp for the next 15 years, at minimum

He must be sooooo annoying to play against...
Old dog playing with puppy

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It doesn’t matter. Hutson’s been dealing with that his whole life and will deal with it at the NHL level. Slaf was almost decapitated in his first year on a few occasions.

In the NHL, Hutson will have more time to avoid hits and adapt before moving up.
I'm not against him starting in the AHL but I will wait to see how he looks in pre season and he may prove to good to send down.

Reactions: BLONG7 and montreal

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay

I'm not saying he is, but he's currently the 3rd lightest player in the league. The 2nd is a non-NHLer who's played less than 10 games the last 4 years and the other is Yamamoto.

He can be an NHLer, but he's going to have to be that much more skilled than everyone else, and there will always be a risk of injury. And being a defenseman just makes it that more much difficult and rare to accomplish. Out of the lighter guys in the league, Girard is basically the only notable light defenseman. To get to an actual notable lighter weight defenseman, you have to go all the weigh (dad joke) to 166th lightest in the league with Luke Hughes. Him and fox are basically the only star level defensemen in the bottom 200 of weight, and Hutson, again is 3rd, technically 2nd lightest. It's really not an unreasonable fear that the size factor will hold him back, so don't act like it's foolish. But I think any one who's seen him play believes that he's up to the challenge.

You still live in 2012. Enjoy your playstation 3

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Hutson is likely to be the opposite, good with the puck, a liability without it.

Why would you think that? His best attribute is arguably his hockey IQ. His positioning will be fine once he gets used to our systems, or lack thereof.

Nemec is already top4 NHL D, I watch him 5 years and NJD did great job in his development. He was always amazing in transition, PP, but his defensive play and aggressiveness made huge step in AHL. They prefer Hughes for PP, but Nemec could easily replace him. He can already eat huge minutes.
For Lane, he is amazing offensively, but I think he will be limited in D. It is his bodytype when you can easily see those skinny legs and small torso. The strenght of hockey players comes from legs, look at MSL. I am afraid Lane's genetics just do not create leg muscle mass and this lack of strength will limit him.
It is just my opinion, I really like Lane, but I am realistic.

First off I'm not Nemec's biggest fan. I know some of you guys cream your pants over him but every game I've watched him play I've thought he was good not great but some guys are acting like he's Lidstrom reborn or something. *smh*

Also what's this about Hutson not being able to get bigger? I personally transmografied my body from 17 to 19. A kid his age with his will and determination will be able to add 10lbs of muscle over the summer. He really just needs to work on his core, legs and butt and he'll find life much easier in the NHL. It would've been hard for him to get more massive in the NCAA because he was literally still growing at the time.

Reactions: nicehiss

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't see him playing anywhere outside of Montreal. We hit the jackpot, I don't know how he fell to the end of the 2nd.

Long term I don't think he'll be part of the top pairing but 2nd/3rd pairing + 1st line PP minutes.

As we know, he fell in the draft because of his size, like Caufield. Thank god Hutson and Caufield are 5'9 or below. It's the one and only reason we were able to get them.

We should remember that when we get frustrated because they lose a board battle due to their size, and they will. Have to live with that to get top 5 in the draft on talent late in the draft.

Right now, it looks to me like he will completely change the dynamic of this team.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
the way he weaves back and forth to find a lane out of thin air - this is his bread and butter
That's where his quickness comes into play. He can just go back and forth as he gains space every back and forth and then he either has a lane to shoot or a step to go around the defender.
Damn he is so fast and the way he cuts on his skates. And no panic moving the puck on the blueline, huge confidence and abiliy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm not against him starting in the AHL but I will wait to see how he looks in pre season and he may prove to good to send down.
Bang on.......................the kid is more than likely to make the team guys....pretty special player.
Still some concern on his size for me....if the opposition dump it in his corner constantly, it will be some wear and tear on the kid as the year goes on......................

What puck handling skills though!!!!

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I know people will compare his debut to Poehling’s, however, I think it’s different because the Leafs didn’t care about that game whereas Detroit was fighting for their lives here (in theory lol).

And Lane got two games. And honestly, his skating is NHL level (one of his biggest concerns) and he didn’t get thrown around (another major concern). He actually got to cook with the puck and played a lot, relatively.

I think this taste of the NHL and confidence that he knows he can do it at this level is gonna make him hyper focused this offseason, and I think he’s competing for the Calder next year (so is Josh Roy!!!).

P.s. this is the first “last game of the year” where our roster wasn’t decimated and entirely full of plugs sans Suzuki in a long time, and that felt great.

Good times ahead.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know people will compare his debut to Poehling’s, however, I think it’s different because the Leafs didn’t care about that game whereas Detroit was fighting for their lives here (in theory lol).

And Lane got two games. And honestly, his skating is NHL level (one of his biggest concerns) and he didn’t get thrown around (another major concern). He actually got to cook with the puck and played a lot, relatively.

I think this taste of the NHL and confidence that he knows he can do it at this level is gonna make him hyper focused this offseason, and I think he’s competing for the Calder next year (so is Josh Roy!!!).

P.s. this is the first “last game of the year” where our roster wasn’t decimated and entirely full of plugs sans Suzuki in a long time, and that felt great.

Good times ahead.

I always thought Hutson would make Matheson expendable, if he could make it.

Now I actually like having Matheson on one pair and Lane on another pair. It means 40+ minutes a night the opposition will have to worry about a dman darting up to join the rush and the offense in the o zone. They will barely get a break from it. Plus Mailloux or Barron on the bottom pair.

Hopefully Guhle, Reinbacher, and Xhekaj can hold it down defensively.

Hutson is already a huge part of the team. It feels like when Caufield joined the team and gave us a spark and added a dimension to help us get to the cup finals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad