Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Give him the 24-25 norris and calder already, he has proven that he is the best (I'm not overhyped)

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Hutson looked better than I expected in his first game. Confident and engaged. I like how he uses his body to give him some leverage along the boards, that's an important skill for someone like him. He was confused a few times in defense but no big deal.

No PP for him to shine too. Happy he was still able to show off some Hutson Things.

Honestly he impressed me more than Rein first game in the AHL. But it's still just one game.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yes but do you really want to build a defensive group with such a small D in it? The hockey sense is super elite, but still, he is limited physically and was protected tonight, and opposing teams will adjust to him and he will become a target. That's the hockey mentality even in this modern era. Yes he he was not bad, but we are far away from being able to project him as a complete first pairing D. To me there is not much new to take away from this first game. We all knew he was gifted offensively, very intelligent on the ice, but with huge physical limitations to play in his zone.

He is a work in progress and I am on the fence but even though I don't like the Hughes/Fox comparisons he does have something that they don't and that is his fierce competitiveness. I am not saying that Hughes and Fox aren't competitors but Lane has a whole other level of compete and has a little venom in his game.

He will need to get stronger/heavier and he will need to continue to improve his back skating but he is unusually hard to knock down for such a tiny player which is something that I value.

I have tried to take a balanced and honest approach to his development and I would classify his debut as being very positive as he held up well in the corners and defended better than I expected him to. The negative points that he got burned on were positional issues that should be expected from and dman in such a high stakes NHL debut, especially without having a single practice or skate with the team prior to the game.

I am sure that teams are going to start targeting him on breakouts and faster players are going to try and exploit his back skating so when that happens we shouldn't freak out as it is just something that he will have to improve on.

I expect him to start in Laval next season and it will be interesting to see what kind of condition he is in after a full off season of training for the pro game.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I agree he did better than expected defensively, but just one big hit is needed at his size. That being said, Guhle is much bigger, and seems unable to avoid those hits and get up injured way too often. First quality is availability. We'll see.

He is a work in progress and I am on the fence but even though I don't like the Hughes/Fox comparisons he does have something that they don't and that is his fierce competitiveness. I am not saying that Hughes and Fox aren't competitors but Lane has a whole other level of compete and has a little venom in his game.

He will need to get stronger/heavier and he will need to continue to improve his back skating but he is unusually hard to knock down for such a tiny player which is something that I value.

I have tried to take a balanced and honest approach to his development and I would classify his debut as being very positive as he held up well in the corners and defended better than I expected him to. The negative points that he got burned on were positional issues that should be expected from and dman in such a high stakes NHL debut, especially without having a single practice or skate with the team prior to the game.

I am sure that teams are going to start targeting him on breakouts and faster players are going to try and exploit his back skating so when that happens we shouldn't freak out as it is just something that he will have to improve on.

I expect him to start in Laval next season and it will be interesting to see what kind of condition he is in after a full off season of training for the pro game.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I mean I'm glad it didn't happen for obvious reasons but

If Lane would of scored on that OT chance mannnnn, it would of been a real moment
Place would of went crazy here, i was so ready for it lol

• Love
Reactions: Rozz and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I mean I'm glad it didn't happen for obvious reasons but

If Lane would of scored on that OT chance mannnnn, it would of been a real moment
Place would of went crazy here, i was so ready for it lol

Next year baby! Next year!

We'll have Cole scoring some of the OT winners, and Hutson scoring many as well. Plus Slaf, Dach, Suzy, Newhook, Roy, and Matheson.

Reactions: Rozz and Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
people kept saying Caufield was too small, he's going to get killed out there. Yet you rarely see him get smoked unlike say Poehling who seemed to get caught with his head down way too much. Hutson is in the same boat as Caufield, he is really good at not getting smoked out there. The average age in the NCAA is over 21 so at 18 and 19 he's been going up against bigger, stronger players and put up the most points of any U-20 D in the league in over 40 years.

Who knows what will happen with him but I have said many times I know I won't be betting against him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I kinda hope he does for a bit. Needs to get heavier.

Honestly though, he’s shown he’s ready. So it won’t surprise me if he starts right away.

It was like watching Subban tonight. Awesome
It could go either way I think. I am DEFINITELY not shitting on Lane but we all know that doing it for a few games is not the same as a whole year. It could get ugly next year for him.

As much as Slaf worked out never going to Laval, irregardless of whether a player can 'develop' in the NHL, you can't help but worry about a kid who might not be physically developed playing in the bigs right away.

Like honestly, with Guhle's injuries I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't have been better off in the AHL being that skinny. I think it's a worthwhile debate at the very least.

Reactions: cphabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad