Confirmed Trade: [LAK/WPG] Pierre-Luc Dubois (signs 8 years, $8.5M AAV) for Gabe Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, 2024 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Apparently, the asking price was way to big. And although PLD is a decent player, he's not a great player. Lacks consistency. Dach was/is developing into a similar player (adding a level of grime and meanness to his game before his injury and a lot cheaper). So in the scheme of things for Montreal's game-plan outlined by management, PLD actually didn't make sense in context to what we'd have to give up for him.

After 5 years in the NHL, Dach's career year hasn't even match Dubois' rookie season.

Similar player except in performance-related metrics? Perhaps ROFL.

Reactions: Buffdog and Voight

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I have been waiting for Guffman

1698698430741.png

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So it's "pretending" to think a clearly skilled, 22 year old, former 3rd overall pick, 6'4" center may turn out to be "great"? Ok, lol.

He failed at centre, thus getting pushed off to the wing for most of last year.

Former 3rd overall pick failed so much that Chicago was quick to trade him away and grats on being 6'4".

Jesse Puljajarvi was also 6'4" and was selected fourth overall. Where is he now? Eating pizza.

Reactions: Voight

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

Former 3rd overall pick failed so much that Chicago was quick to trade him away and grats on being 6'4".

Jesse Puljajarvi was also 6'4" and was selected fourth overall. Where is he now? Eating pizza.

He's only 22, lol. If you think he's so bad, your opinion. Those of us who actually watch him play know better.

After 5 years in the NHL, Dach's career year hasn't even match Dubois' rookie season.

Similar player except in performance-related metrics? Perhaps ROFL.

Yeah, ok. Dach ran into injury issues, a small metric that is relevant. Never once said he's a shoe-in to reach PLD accomplishments, just that he has the potential to. At 22 potential still does exist? Perhaps ROFL.

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
They had and have the horses. They weren't going to move any of them. Futures were likely the only offer on the table. And the Dach trade was done before the draft so they had already moved on from Douchebois.
Name those horses.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Pretending? You are the one with the Hughes / Lebrun fantasy lol. I will let you to continue to pretend whatever makes you feel good bud, reality is it wasn't a good fit - PLD wouldn't have signed long term, and the Habs weren't giving up an LA type package. All very simple stuff.
So the other insiders got their info from the Kings, Dubois agent and the Jets once the Hughes failed to complete his deal. Habs insider Lebrun was first to bring up Dubois going to the Habs. As soon as the Habs were out Habs insider LeBrun went silent, Hughes went on tilt and wildly overpaid for Newhook. Weird coincidence I guess.

Last edited:

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
Let’s face it when he inevitably quits and gives up on his 3rd NHL team it will make the trade interesting….but for no I’d give the edge to LA

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
So the other insiders got their info from the Kings, Dubois agent and the Jets once the Hughes failed to complete his deal. Habs insider Lebrun was first to bring up Dubois going to the Habs. As soon as the Habs were out Habs insider LeBrun went silent, Hughes went on tilt and wildly overpaid for Newhook. Weird coincidence I guess.
Not sure what you are babbling on about, but your working theory is solid bro. That Hughes wanted Dubois so bad that he wouldn't give up anything quality for him, and therefore failed in his quest. And then went on "tilt" and traded 31 and 37 for the former 15th OA.

This is some very solid reasoning. Can you break down some more trades for us that have that simple, what seems obvious is probably true approach to these things? Simpletons like me that realize that Hughes would have known long before any of us that PLD wasn't coming to MTL. Or those that know, even if he was, he isn't getting more then Caulfield or Suzuki. Why focus on any of this very logical stuff when you can create a narrative around Lebrun, and Hughes desire to pursue a guy that makes no sense for the team.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
A very late 1st round pick and early 2nd wasn't "wildly overpaying" for Newhook. You are over valuing picks that more likely than not never turn into NHL regulars.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Not sure what you are babbling on about, but your working theory is solid bro. That Hughes wanted Dubois so bad that he wouldn't give up anything quality for him, and therefore failed in his quest. And then went on "tilt" and traded 31 and 37 for the former 15th OA.

This is some very solid reasoning. Can you break down some more trades for us that have that simple, what seems obvious is probably true approach to these things? Simpletons like me that realize that Hughes would have known long before any of us that PLD wasn't coming to MTL. Or those that know, even if he was, he isn't getting more then Caulfield or Suzuki. Why focus on any of this very logical stuff when you can create a narrative around Lebrun, and Hughes desire to pursue a guy that makes no sense for the team.
@TS Quint
Also, PLD said publictly that the Habs haven't even made a contract offer...
Maybe they just weren't all that interested (#Culture, #PayDay, #AssetManagement)
Totally OK with that.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Hughes fails, LeBrun had no more info. Fact. Hughes wanted Dubois BAD. Didn't have the horses to get the job done. Went on tilt and overpaid for Newhook.

@TS Quint
Also, PLD said publictly that the Habs haven't even made a contract offer...
Maybe they just weren't all that interested (#Culture, #PayDay, #AssetManagement)
Totally OK with that.
PLD didn't admit to tampering? Imagine that . Habs fans are weird.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Hughes fails, LeBrun had no more info. Fact. Hughes wanted Dubois BAD. Didn't have the horses to get the job done. Went on tilt and overpaid for Newhook.

PLD didn't admit to tampering? Imagine that . Habs fans are weird.
There was no tampering, he was allowed to negociate with potential suitors, and actually did agree to a contract with the Kings. @TS Quint is weird.
I guess you believe in your fact-free narrative.

Reactions: c3z4r

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
A very late 1st round pick and early 2nd wasn't "wildly overpaying" for Newhook. You are over valuing picks that more likely than not never turn into NHL regulars.
Or you are wildly over valuing the Avs #10 scorer. A 30 point player.

There was no tampering, he was allowed to negociate with potential suitors, and actually did agree to a contract with the Kings. @TS Quint is weird.
I guess you believe in your fact-free narrative.
Link

Anyway, I'll let the Habs fans continue to stalk the player they have no interest in.

Kings fans got a good player. Good trade for both teams.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Or you are wildly over valuing the Avs #10 scorer. A 30 point player.

Link

Anyway, I'll let the Habs fans continue to stalk the player they have no interest in.

Kings fans got a good player. Good trade for both teams.

Here:
Now maybe you can be so kind to do the same and provide links to support your narrative that the Habs didn't have the horses to trade for him, that Hugues wanted him BAD but failed, which triggered this discussion and that you presented as a FACT ? Other than just the absense of links from LeBrun, which isn't proving much. (I can play that game too)

Oh, you probably won't as you are already bailing after being called out...

That was a cool story though !

Nobody said we weren't interested. We were not interested in overpaying, both for the $ and the assets. We were never going to give Dach+ to acquire him. We were interested in the leverage we had to acquire him as a buy-low option. At that point, we had reasons to believe he was interested in playing with the Habs, and would sign sort of a team friendly deal, equal to Suzuki's deal. History showed he wasn't all that interested and was using the Habs to get a better deal.
Must feel good to make shit up.

Let me know when his points per game reaches the 8.5M$AAV level he now commands.

Last edited:
Reactions: japhi and c3z4r

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It made no sense for the Habs but Hughes leaked to LeBrun that they were going to get him. Habs fans like to deny this but the fact is LeBrun was the one to come out to say the Habs were going to get him. But once the Habs were out including news that any other team was in on Dubois LeBrun had nothing. He had nothing from the agent, he had nothing from other teams, nothing from the Jets. Just Hughes. Once Hughes failed LeBrun was out of info.

Dach and his "break out 30 point season" is no where near Dubois. I can't wait for the Habs to develop some real players so they can stop pretending guys like Dach, Matheson, Kovacevic et al are great.

Habs fans think every QC player wants to play for their team.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Makes sense, his career's been a pretty big fart thus far too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad