Confirmed Trade: [LAK/WPG] Pierre-Luc Dubois (signs 8 years, $8.5M AAV) for Gabe Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, 2024 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I feel like this trade is a great case in why it's not safe to assume you can just wait and sign someone as a UFA.

PLD is exactly what Montreal needs. Knock all the Cs down one slot, add some grime and meaness. It would have been a match made in heaven imo.

Reactions: Fatass

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I feel like this trade is a great case in why it's not safe to assume you can just wait and sign someone as a UFA.

PLD is exactly what Montreal needs. Knock all the Cs down one slot, add some grime and meaness. It would have been a match made in heaven imo.
Apparently, the asking price was way to big. And although PLD is a decent player, he's not a great player. Lacks consistency. Dach was/is developing into a similar player (adding a level of grime and meanness to his game before his injury and a lot cheaper). So in the scheme of things for Montreal's game-plan outlined by management, PLD actually didn't make sense in context to what we'd have to give up for him.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Apparently, the asking price was way to big. And although PLD is a decent player, he's not a great player. Lacks consistency. Dach was/is developing into a similar player (adding a level of grime and meanness to his game before his injury and a lot cheaper). So in the scheme of things for Montreal's game-plan outlined by management, PLD actually didn't make sense in context to what we'd have to give up for him.
Keep telling yourself that. Dach is brittle and is no PLD. Yes, you would have needed to pay some serious prospect capital, but good players aren't free.

Maybe the bargain bin strat will pay off this year, Habs are in a PO spot. I think they are just hurting their pick, and it's only a matter of time before they crash back to earth.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Keep telling yourself that. Dach is brittle and is no PLD. Yes, you would have needed to pay some serious prospect capital, but good players aren't free.

Maybe the bargain bin strat will pay off this year, Habs are in a PO spot. I think they are just hurting their pick, and it's only a matter of time before they crash back to earth.
It's not me telling myself that. Clearly, Hughes and his scouting staff told themselves that. And how do you figure it's a "bargain bin" strat? They traded a mid-round 1st for Dach who is only 22. And no Habs (including mgt) are expecting Montreal to make the playoffs this year. So your snide remarks mean sfa. Not sure if you're a Kings fan, but they and many other playoff-bound teams sucked hard for periods of time before competing for a cup.

Reactions: SlafySZN and zeeto

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
What is this anyway. After the fiasco of the trade, now i constantly see some Montreal fans are stopping by how PLD is a disappointment.

This is getting really sad and something you rather dont see. Its so embarrassing.
Wait until Hughes leaks to LeBrun he's going to get a Kings player......you have no idea how silly it gets.

LOL...............Habs fans live in more places than Quebec you realize! LOL
Yes, most habs fans wanted nothing to do with Dubois.

The reality............thx
Nothing like stalking the Dubois trade thread to show you have no interest.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Montreal dodged a bullet. Both the Kings and Jets failed on this trade. LA will be in no mans land for years to come and the Jets will be relocated very soon.
If LA ends up in no mans land it will not be because of this deal.

Would think there is very very little chance of jets relocating anytime soon, and zero chance that his deal leads to why

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It made no sense for the Habs but Hughes leaked to LeBrun that they were going to get him. Habs fans like to deny this but the fact is LeBrun was the one to come out to say the Habs were going to get him. But once the Habs were out including news that any other team was in on Dubois LeBrun had nothing. He had nothing from the agent, he had nothing from other teams, nothing from the Jets. Just Hughes. Once Hughes failed LeBrun was out of info.

Dach and his "break out 30 point season" is no where near Dubois. I can't wait for the Habs to develop some real players so they can stop pretending guys like Dach, Matheson, Kovacevic et al are great.

Reactions: Voight and Pongs21

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
It made no sense for the Habs but Hughes leaked to LeBrun that they were going to get him. Habs fans like to deny this but the fact is LeBrun was the one to come out to say the Habs were going to get him. But once the Habs were out including news that any other team was in on Dubois LeBrun had nothing. He had nothing from the agent, he had nothing from other teams, nothing from the Jets. Just Hughes. Once Hughes failed LeBrun was out of info.

Dach and his "break out 30 point season" is no where near Dubois. I can't wait for the Habs to develop some real players so they can stop pretending guys like Dach, Matheson, Kovacevic et al are great.

I'm not commenting on your conspiracy theories...but the last paragraph. Of course Dach isn't at Dubois' level right now. But, he may turn out as good or better...just has to stay healthy. As far as "pretending"...not sure you're making sense. So it's "pretending" to think a clearly skilled, 22 year old, former 3rd overall pick, 6'4" center may turn out to be "great"? Ok, lol.

Either way. Habs clearly did not want to pay the asking price for Dubois, and likely due to their rebuilding plans which they felt would be set-back after paying the price for Dubois.

Dubois is a very good player, no doubt. I just question if he was worth the price Winnipeg was likely asking. That's all.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I'm not commenting on your conspiracy theories...but the last paragraph. Of course Dach isn't at Dubois' level right now. But, he may turn out as good or better...just has to stay healthy. As far as "pretending"...not sure you're making sense. So it's "pretending" to think a clearly skilled, 22 year old, former 3rd overall pick, 6'4" center may turn out to be "great"? Ok, lol.

Either way. Habs clearly did not want to pay the asking price for Dubois, and likely due to their rebuilding plans which they felt would be set-back after paying the price for Dubois.

Dubois is a very good player, no doubt. I just question if he was worth the price Winnipeg was likely asking. That's all.
I disagree with most of this but I appreciate the respectful post.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

He is exactly what we don't need right now. MTL is mid rebuild, and is building around Suzuki, Guhle, Dach, Slaf and Caufield + the 5th, Reinbacher. That is the core and giving up a bunch of picks or prospects for a 65 point C would be insane. We weren't ever paying the return price, OR the contract price. And that's no even factoring in the local boy piece, Montreal media would have been relentless with him, which is why he never had any intention of coming here - local high profile guys never want to play in MTL.

PLD is a great, if very inconsistent player. Not many big physical young C's available and we know he can elevate in the playoffs. But he didn't make any sense for MTL unless he was coming in for a weak return and was going to take the Suzuki / Caufield deal. Which wasn't happening. Very simple stuff if you follow what Hughes is doing in MTL and you know the history of players "pretending" to want to play in MTL, for leverage.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

I've seen you post this before and it's so silly. First, you don't have any proof, at all, that Hughes told Lebrun he was going to get PLD. You only have proof Lebrun said that. So post definitive proof that Hughes told Lebrun he was going to get him, and while youtr at it, please share the actual offer the Habs made. Because it doesn't appear the Habs OR PLD had any interest in working a deal out. Very clear PLD had his hear set on Malibu beach from day one (read the Athletic article, he was NEVER coming to MTL).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean really nothing has changed, has it?

Vilardi is hurt, awesome when healthy
PLD is inconsistent
Iafallo is nails and underrated
Kupari is big, fast, and shows potential

It's exactly what we thought it was and both teams got what folks in this thread have expected so far.

Montreal dodged a bullet. Both the Kings and Jets failed on this trade. LA will be in no mans land for years to come and the Jets will be relocated very soon.

Of all the takes in this thread "MTL actually won this trade" is the funniest, so thank you for the monday morning coffee spit take

But please go on showing us how actually-not-interested-in-PLD some MTL fans are with 85% of the posts over the last few pages bumping this thread to show their non-interest

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I've seen you post this before and it's so silly. First, you don't have any proof, at all, that Hughes told Lebrun he was going to get PLD. You only have proof Lebrun said that. So post definitive proof that Hughes told Lebrun he was going to get him, and while youtr at it, please share the actual offer the Habs made. Because it doesn't appear the Habs OR PLD had any interest in working a deal out. Very clear PLD had his hear set on Malibu beach from day one (read the Athletic article, he was NEVER coming to MTL).
Keep pretending. Once Hughes failed the Habs insider LeBrun had nothing.

That's over the top to pretend there was no interest between PLD and the Habs. It was well reported that the Habs wanted him at the draft but they didn't have the horses to get it done.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Wait until Hughes leaks to LeBrun he's going to get a Kings player......you have no idea how silly it gets.

Nothing like stalking the Dubois trade thread to show you have no interest.
You have to get up to speed.............reading required.
I simply asked a question to Kings, and Jets fans.....
Cheers...........

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

That's over the top to pretend there was no interest between PLD and the Habs. It was well reported that the Habs wanted him at the draft but they didn't have the horses to get it done.
They had and have the horses. They weren't going to move any of them. Futures were likely the only offer on the table. And the Dach trade was done before the draft so they had already moved on from Douchebois.

Last edited by a moderator:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Montreal is hoping to sign PLD when his 8 year contract runs out. They are playing the long game.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Pretending? You are the one with the Hughes / Lebrun fantasy lol. I will let you to continue to pretend whatever makes you feel good bud, reality is it wasn't a good fit - PLD wouldn't have signed long term, and the Habs weren't giving up an LA type package. All very simple stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad