Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TBL] Peter Budaj for Andy Andreoff

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I just want to see him get a chance. We still havent done this with Koekkoek but its a little harder to trust an inexperienced D than a forward. Even then we put Sustr out there over him. Then again we gave Point and Cirelli a solid chance. I think with a stacked team like Tampa you have to make your case early and often. Those guys did. Erne and Koekkoek have left us with more to desire.

I think Erne’s had more of a chance than Koekkoek. Erne was at least getting regular playing time and if not for his injury probably would have continued to get it. We’ve never given Koekkoek a chance to play consistently and given the developmental curve of defensemen compared to forwards he really needed that to have any chance of showing us anything. He was clearly outplaying Garrison and Sustr two seasons ago and should have gotten his shot then.

The other guy who should have gotten more of a chance (besides Marchessault, of course) was Peca. If nothing else he offered us a hell of a lot more than Conacher did/does.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
(Budaj vs. Campbell) for the Kings backup spot: This should be an interesting battle. I also don't see Petersen as an AHL starter yet. He's fresh out of Notre Dame and he should develop properly unless if he catches on quickly.
He played 41 games in the ahl last year and if i remember right was a all star. As soon as campbell got promoted He took over the reigns starting goaltender spot. He has a year in the ahl already

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't understand this for Tampa. LA doesn't need Budaj, but he adds solid goaltending depth. Why would Tampa want Andreoff? He's awful. I would much rather have Budaj and Domingue.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
(Budaj vs. Campbell) for the Kings backup spot: This should be an interesting battle. I also don't see Petersen as an AHL starter yet. He's fresh out of Notre Dame and he should develop properly unless if he catches on quickly.

This is so wrong. Peterson has already been the AHL starting goalie for a year and was an All-star. The Kings beat writer already said Budaj will be the backup for the AHL.

The Kings moved Budaj traded Budaj over a year ago because Campbell was ready for the NHL and Peterson was ready to take over the AHL starting spot.

NHL:
Quick (Starter)
Campbell (Backup)

AHL:
Peterson (Starter)
Budaj (Backup)

ECHL: Kehler
CHL: Villalta

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Minor league move. But guys like Budaj will continue to float around NHL teams. Lots of teams have hit rough patches with goaltending, and might need a 3rd or 4th stringer to fill the net at some point. Budaj himself was the dude for LA like last year?

Just this year alone there's a bunch of examples like Chicago (Glass and Foster), Vegas (Legace and Dansk), and Arizona (Domingue and Hill). Teams would be smart to keep someone in the AHL that can hack it for a stretch without ruining the season.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Budaj makes $300k more than Andreoff. I think both are destined for the AHL and it's purely to save money.

I get it but I’d much rather pay the small additional amount for a competent goalie than an ahl player. I dunno. Just don’t see the benefit for Tampa. Such a small amount for a financial reason.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I get it but I’d much rather pay the small additional amount for a competent goalie than an ahl player. I dunno. Just don’t see the benefit for Tampa. Such a small amount for a financial reason.
We won't have that luxury when we are right up against the cap. 300k makes a big difference when you are scrounging for pennies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Budaj makes 1,025,0000 next season. Can't that all be buried in the minors?

Not a coincidence that Budaj's salary is the exact amount that can be buried in the minors without a hit to the CAP. Budaj is 36. This could be his last pro year. He is a one year fill in to back up Petersen in the AHL and to be the emergency NHL replacement in case of injury to Quick and or Campbell. He will be a good mentor for Petersen, who I imagine will start 70-80% of the games. A lot of back to backs in the AHL.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm sorry man, but your take completely misses the boat. Campbell is the back up, Petersen is the AHL starter. It's not even a competition at this point.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Not a coincidence that Budaj's salary is the exact amount that can be buried in the minors without a hit to the CAP. Budaj is 36. This could be his last pro year. He is a one year fill in to back up Petersen in the AHL and to be the emergency NHL replacement in case of injury to Quick and or Campbell. He will be a good mentor for Petersen, who I imagine will start 70-80% of the games. A lot of back to backs in the AHL.

Yeah I like this move for LA. I just don’t get the logic for Tampa. Before anyone says it, yes this is not a big deal, and I’m not making it out to be one. Just kind of confused on why they did it.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Yeah I like this move for LA. I just don’t get the logic for Tampa. Before anyone says it, yes this is not a big deal, and I’m not making it out to be one. Just kind of confused on why they did it.
I guess they really wanted to save $300 k? Anyways, I'm just glad AA is finally gone. Any ahler can play his role.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

We need all the extra cash we can save. We are always a cap team and we need to resign some RFA's. That 300k will most likely go to Domingue as his raise.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
This is so wrong. Peterson has already been the AHL starting goalie for a year and was an All-star. The Kings beat writer already said Budaj will be the backup for the AHL.

The Kings moved Budaj traded Budaj over a year ago because Campbell was ready for the NHL and Peterson was ready to take over the AHL starting spot.

NHL:
Quick (Starter)
Campbell (Backup)

AHL:
Peterson (Starter)
Budaj (Backup)

ECHL: Kehler
CHL: Villalta
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Although, it must be quite disappointing when your basically traded as a backup goalie for an AHL team. I honestly never thought he was that bad of a goalie, but hey, I guess when you have a stacked goalie tandem like the Kings do, then anything's possible.

IMO, I think he can still compete against them, but it's quite obvious that Campbell and Petersen are better because they're younger... I also think that he can benefit as being Murray's backup so Jarry and DeSmith can develop some more, but I guess that most of my ideas aren't that good in the first place...

Last edited:

member 88115

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Although, it must be quite disappointing when your basically traded as a backup goalie for an AHL team. I honestly never thought he was that bad, but hey, I guess when you have a stacked goalie tandem, then anything's possible.

IMO, I think he can still compete against them, but it's quite obvious that Campbell and Petersen are better because they're younger... I also think that he can benefit as being Murray's backup so Jarry and DeSmith can develop some more, but I guess that most of my ideas aren't that good...
+ LA is known for trading their back up goalie around the trade deadline. Adding Budja gives them an instant back up if Peterson is not ready for the big club.

Reactions: Rorschach

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't understand this for Tampa. LA doesn't need Budaj, but he adds solid goaltending depth. Why would Tampa want Andreoff? He's awful. I would much rather have Budaj and Domingue.
$500k cash savings and AHL veteran depth. Our AHL team is consistently among the youngest in the league, and next year isn't going to change with Katchouk, Raddysh, and Somppi.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
one or all of these

budaj is terrible
vasilevskiy is god
tampa d is overrated

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

Edit: my point has already been clarified nvm

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think TB is more/less doing Budaj a favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad