Player Discussion: Laine Thread (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Interesting.

There's been a lot of emphasis on Laine wanting "out", but perhaps not enough attention on whether the Jets are also being proactive in moving in another direction. It's very possible (and perhaps likely) that Laine and his camp are aware that the Jets are looking to move Laine, perhaps because they don't see a reasonable way to fit him into their salary structure, or trying to fill in other roster gaps.

Regardless, a big season from Laine will be good for both the Jets and Laine.

This, so much this.:thumbu: But this thought process (Laine is unhappy here/Laine wants out/Laine has demanded a trade) has taken on a life of its own and is becoming embedded by media in the fans mindset. The concern I have is that the Jet`s PR machinery will further use it to rationalize why the change in direction was necessary , and, if necessary, to diffuse possible criticism that the Jet`s did not receive adequate return in any move.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This, so much this.:thumbu: But this thought process (Laine is unhappy here/Laine wants out/Laine has demanded a trade) has taken on a life of its own and is becoming embedded by media in the fans mindset. The concern I have is that the Jet`s PR machinery will further use it to rationalize why the change in direction was necessary , and, if necessary, to diffuse possible criticism that the Jet`s did not receive adequate return in any move.
Why is this a concern? This should be an expectation someone should have with every single team in the league. Of course a private business will use its PR capabilities to put itself in the best possible light. To think any different would be silly.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Why is this a concern? This should be an expectation someone should have with every single team in the league. Of course a private business will use its PR capabilities to put itself in the best possible light. To think any different would be silly.

Didn`t expect the conversation to go off in this direction. I suspect that you`re right -silly of me.

Reactions: KingBogo

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Not directed specifically at you, just following up your point.

Did the media force Laines agent (clearly with Laines approval) to come out publically suggesting a trade likely best for both parties? Did the media force Laine to publically critique his line mates lack of ability? Did the media force Laine & his agent to use strong arm tactics via public pressure, public threats to get the team to meet all of Laine's demands?

I like the kid as a offensive winger who can score goals, he's improving his game overall which is nice to see. But some of the mental gymnastics people go through to deflect accountability away from Laine, ignore his public statements & questionable negioation tactics, etc......blows my mind. I hope Laine continues to mature as a player like he has been, I hope Laine matures as a man even more.

That all being said I hope Laine has a career year, blows everyone away. This would be best for both parties and then we can see how this gets resolves, stay long term or trade. If Laine is traded in the end, any return the Jets get from the trade will be based on the sum of Laines results and growth over five years in the NHL and his future contract demands.

And before anyone says but but Laine has some concerns about his usage.........yes I know that and I've said many times I understand his POV.......but what I'm saying is there is a right way and a wrong way to handle those things in life & business and I'm suggesting IMO he is handling it the wrong way.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Did the media force Laines agent (clearly with Laines approval) to come out publically suggesting a trade likely best for both parties? Did the media force Laine to publically critique his line mates lack of ability? Did the media force Laine & his agent to use strong arm tactics via public pressure, public threats to get the team to meet all of Laine's demands?

I like the kid as a offensive winger who can score goals, he's improving his game overall which is nice to see. But some of the mental gymnastics people go through to deflect accountability away from Laine, ignore his public statements & questionable negioation tactics, etc......blows my mind. I hope Laine continues to mature as a player like he has been, I hope Laine matures as a man even more.

That all being said I hope Laine has a career year, blows everyone away. This would be best for both parties and then we can see how this gets resolves, stay long term or trade. If Laine is traded in the end, any return the Jets get from the trade will be based on the sum of Laines results and growth over five years in the NHL and his future contract demands.

And before anyone says but but Laine has some concerns about his usage.........yes I know that and I've said many times I understand his POV.......but what I'm saying is there is a right way and a wrong way to handle those things in life & business and I'm suggesting IMO he is handling it the wrong way.
agreed

his agent works for him and likely doesn't do anything without Laine's approval and sense of direction.... His agent didn't ensure his comments were taken out of context or back-track it, and neither did Laine. Second straight off-season complaining about TOI/Usage/Linemates when he was the 2nd most used RW in the NHL in EV+PP TOI.

"i'm here aren't I" ya b/c you have a f***ing contract.

i have no doubt he'll still play hard, and am hoping for a great year, but i doubt he is willing to sign here long-term.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
The Finnish media people all seem to think that Laine will leave Winnipeg. Hoffren, Mäkinen, Pekka Jalonen etc, people who've talked to him and have lots of finnish hockey contacts.

It's a real shame if he does end up getting traded. The Jets better get a proper return.

And because they're Finns he'll actually tell them he wants out so that they can report it? Then why not just come out and tell Winnipeg's media too?

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

No, the media did not force anybody to do anything, but they surely interpreted the few select quotes/articles they could find to fit the narrative that they were pushing. Like everything , there is always important context to be considered and alternative interpretations -but you seem to have closed your mind to all such things.

Your assertion that Laine has used strong arm tactics via public pressure/public threats to get the team to meet demands is quite frankly astonishing. If you truly believe that the one brief quote made by his agent (solicited by the media by the way) makes Laine such an undesireable player, why would you advocate so strong;y for trading him for Dubois? Someone who has personally told his coach he wants to be traded, in no unequivocal terms.

Reactions: PhilJets

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No, the media did not force anybody to do anything, but they surely interpreted the few select quotes/articles they could find to fit the narrative that they were pushing. Like everything , there is always important context to be considered and alternative interpretations -but you seem to have closed your mind to all such things.

Your assertion that Laine has used strong arm tactics via public pressure/public threats to get the team to meet demands is quite frankly astonishing. If you truly believe that the one brief quote made by his agent (solicited by the media by the way) makes Laine such an undesireable player, why would you advocate so strong;y for trading him for Dubois? Someone who has personally told his coach he wants to be traded, in no unequivocal terms.

I think there are cultural aspects here that are being misinterpreted as well. I recall Finnish posters on the board discussing how conversations in their native land are rather different than the hyperbolic approach that North Americans often take. There's also far less of a platitude based approach in that culture as I understand it - they don't get the usual "say all the right cliches" approach that so many in professional sports apply. To this end I think Laine is just being honest in an area where honesty gets punished and exploited.

That said I do agree that Laine's agent doesn't say what he says without Laine's approval. But nor do I think that TNSE is a group of angels. Laine gets vilified for being for a cut-throat approach but because TNSE plays the platitude/cliche game they come off looking clean? Nah, not my interpretation, this is just business on both sides IMO.

I like the kid a lot and hope the best for him. I hope he stays in Winnipeg because I think he could be an excellent ambassador for the city and an excellent hockey player. If he doesn't stay here I still wish him the best in his career and hope our return is good.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Media agenda: Media have no agenda per say, maybe you just worded that incorrectly. But the media couldn't give two rat asses if Laine signs or is traded and if you think they do......well I would say I don't believe in any conspiracy theories with Laine or wearing tinfoil hats. If you meant the media likes to sensationalize stories to drum up clicks, oh yeh I have no issues with that POV, yes media do it all the time.

Negotiation tactics: One brief statement? Are you forgetting about Laine's critiquing of his line mates skill/ability last year, which lead to a apology from Laine? Plus his legal respesentation/agent public suggested a trade is likely best.......that's not some minor statement. I imaging walking into my Executive VP's office and suggesting maybe it's best I quit my job (similar to requesting a trade, sorry I can't be traded like a hockey player) and then calling it a brief statement days later and not a big deal. Sorry but one does not suggest a trade is best and mean it lightly. Not sure where you work, but try that with you boss and see how it goes. As I've said many times, I understand Laines POV, but there is a right way and a wrong way to handle things......going public twice now in two years is not the right way IMO.

Laine a undesirable player? Show me where I've made that statement or even a similar statement in 5 years Laine has been here........show me one post of me saying that. Of course he has weaknesses in his game, everyone in the world know that but no one in their right mind would call him undesirable (albeit he might fill a need on all teams). Do I have to post every single post I make how Laine is a valuable player? I've said he's a valuable player a million times.

PLD: If you can't understand why PLD at least on the surface is a desirable player (even if you wouldn't trade Laine for him) to have instead of another high cap hit winger who by his multi public statements has made it clear he wouldn't mind a trade and perhaps even wants a trade.......then I'm not sure you know who PLD is or what he can do or are ignoring all of Laines comments.

Any trade involving Laine the other team is highly likely going to want to discuss his willingness to sign long term before the trade and likewise with the player coming to the Jets. I said this with Trouba and I'll say with Laine.......I don't give two shits why he doesn't want to be here as a fan (as a GM I would want to know bc that's part of my job), either you want to be here or you don't, if you don't cool bye no one irreplaceable (Laine would return a handsome package, bc he's valuable player). Chevy work out a trade that benefits the team and Laine can suck it up until such a trade happens (which sounds like what might be happening now, but none of us know that as a fact). Same goes for PLD, if we're getting him I don't give two shits why he doesn't want to stay in CBJ, I only care if he wants to stay here long term.

For the record, I'm very open to Laine staying or going depending on how contract negioations go and how he plays and cap situation. I'm not wanting to push Laine out, but if he wants out then hell yeah give me PLD in one second. I just get tired of reading a few posters crying over how Laine is getting screwed, poor Laine this, poor Laine that.........Laine has played a big part in the bed he's sleeping in now so I'm not just giving him a free pass just b/c he's a young man or a high draft pick.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And because they're Finns he'll actually tell them he wants out so that they can report it? Then why not just come out and tell Winnipeg's media too?
I think it becomes way to much of a local story and a never ending distraction if he is open to the Winnipeg media about wanting a trade. Chevy would likely have had this discussion with Laine's agent who would have helped script Laine's response to local media.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think it becomes way to much of a local story and a never ending distraction if he is open to the Winnipeg media about wanting a trade. Chevy would likely have had this discussion with Laine's agent who would have helped script Laine's response to local media.

Agreed. My biggest issue with Laine is not his desire for top line mins, top line PP, top line centre......I understand all that, I really do a young ambitious man who wants the moon ASAP. I just don't like how he's gone public with it twice now, there is no benefit to doing it IMO. Make your desires known privately and you will be moved when the team finds a reasonable trade. As news article today on TSN states, players make trade requests all the time for many reasons on all teams........but we only hear occasionally a player go public with it.

Reactions: LowLefty

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I always stated

Laine
Wheeler
Maurice

Has a fault in all this situation of Laine drama.

Lets make 2 simple facts again.

1st issue about Laine.
He wanted more minutes.
The concern there is , he had no channel to go to internally as the captain is more about pleasing the coach than being the bridge of the players to get their concern across.

It happens in real life. What do you do?
You vent it out somewhere or to someone.
Trying to get heared. Is not wrong, the method is wrong? Yes.
But whats the youngest player on the team got to do? Laine was also a player that speaks his mind out., before.

The best organization doesnt let that happen.
The good organization realized it and try to fix it. Which is what the Jets have tried to do the last year and few months. And the people involved trying to do..

2nd issue this off season.
About the agent statement. This is now different than the bolded above.
Wanting more minutes vs. Probably change of scenery is better.
Its gonna get cleared after end of the season.

So let just watch the young man play and cheer for him as he is a Winnipeg Jets.
And as much as the drama around him is getting annoying now. He is putting all the effort to make himself better and thus making the team better.
So GO Jets Go.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I always stated

Laine
Wheeler
Maurice

Has a fault in all this situation of Laine drama.

Lets make 2 simple facts again.

1st issue about Laine.
He wanted more minutes.
The concern there is , he had no channel to go to internally as the captain is more about pleasing the coach than being the bridge of the players to get their concern across.

It happens in real life. What do you do?
You vent it out somewhere or to someone.
Trying to get heared. Is not wrong, the method is wrong? Yes.
But whats the youngest player on the team got to do? Laine was also a player that speaks his mind out., before.

The best organization doesnt let that happen.
The good organization realized it and try to fix it. Which is what the Jets have tried to do the last year and few months. And the people involved trying to do..

2nd issue this off season.
About the agent statement. This is now different than the bolded above.
Wanting more minutes vs. Probably change of scenery is better.
Its gonna get cleared after end of the season.

So let just watch the young man play and cheer for him as he is a Winnipeg Jets.
And as much as the drama around him is getting annoying now. He is putting all the effort to make himself better and thus making the team better.
So GO Jets Go.
Just a reminder... Laine was top 5 in the NHL among wingers in ice-time last season, and had more ice-time than Wheeler.

Reactions: PhilJets and ps241

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Just a reminder... Laine was top 5 in the NHL among wingers in ice-time last season, and had more ice-time than Wheeler.

Yup

And he did 0.93 point per game average.
Looks like if the trend continues with ice time. He has a chance to hit point per game average.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Give me that Laine every single game and I’m not talking about just his scoring. Tonight it was his scoring, back checking and standing up for his team mate (he actually threw a base knuckle punch haha).

One game only sure, but if he can maintain that over a season that type of play.......I’m giving him a big boy contract. Props Laine on a great game.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Give me that Laine every single game and I’m not talking about just his scoring. Tonight it was his scoring, back checking and standing up for his team mate (he actually threw a base knuckle punch haha).

One game only sure, but if he can maintain that over a season that type of play.......I’m giving him a big boy contract. Props Laine on a great game.

Laine was in Beast Mode tonight.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

And his hitting. If that’s the Laine give him the money he wants. Now the trick is repeating every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad