Player Discussion: Laine Thread (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That's 100% your speculation. A young kid with a huge ego (not saying as a negative) wanting to be the worlds best actually wanting the moon? Hardly shocking or uncommon or surprising. I like Laine improving maturity as player last year & this year so far.......I can't say the same to his lack of maturity as a man based on his offseason antics last two years. Trying to strong arm a team via public demands, stating how he doesn't play with the best players on his line, public pressure, etc is poor taste IMO. If your ok with those tactics, fine for you but in business that gets you a bad rep fast in business.

Even if he believed what your suggesting, there is no benefit or honourable reason to go public with it at this stage. Stay private, demand a trade, keep it quite until the team shows they are not honouring his trade demand......which there is zero indication this has happened.

I like Laine growth as a player last year, so far this year.........but zero respect for his tactics dealing with the team.

I agree with you he hasn’t went about it the right way. He also has way to many examples of players wanting off our team. It’s way to common. It worked for Trouba so why wouldn’t he try it ??

Imo it’s a far bigger problem then just him and his antics

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I agree with you he hasn’t went about it the right way. He also has way to many examples of players wanting off our team. It’s way to common. It worked for Trouba so why wouldn’t he try it ??

Imo it’s a far bigger problem then just him and his antics

Sorry I don't agree with the others comments. Not sure if you live in Winnipeg or not......but I don't know a single person who was upset by Kane being traded after his multi run ins with the law & businesses & teammates.......the guy was a massive jerk (I'm being very PC by calling him only a jerk). Most people surprised about the size and speed of the trade.......but I don't know anyone personally who was upset he was traded.....most I know laughed how Buff punked him so bad and loved the trade.

Bogo was a injury riddled #5 D with his own off ice issues we shall not discuss in detail due to them never being legally confirmed. Not any loss TBH, his career is one massive disappointment after being drafted so high.

Jack is upset about usage and wants a top six role, well barring Laine being traded that's not a team issue, that's life on a deep team.

Trouba, didn't want to play in Canada, that's a fact.....not any short coming on the Jets.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Sorry I don't agree with the others comments. Not sure if you live in Winnipeg or not......but I don't know a single person who was upset by Kane being traded after his multi run ins with the law & businesses & teammates.......the guy was a massive jerk (I'm being very PC by calling him only a jerk). Most people surprised about the size and speed of the trade.......but I don't know anyone personally who was upset he was traded.....most I know laughed how Buff punked him so bad and loved the trade.

Bogo was a injury riddled #5 D with his own off ice issues we shall not discuss in detail due to them never being legally confirmed. Not any loss TBH, his career is one massive disappointment after being drafted so high.

Jack is upset about usage and wants a top six role, well barring Laine being traded that's not a team issue, that's life on a deep team.

Trouba, didn't want to play in Canada, that's a fact.....not any short coming on the Jets.

Good points. I see your side too.

I hope laine signs long term. It’s a shame

tbone1968

Sep 1, 2017
Texas hill country
I can't understand how we got from "Wpg is good" to wanting out. I think he has had fair usage and success that follows. Why is the guy pissy now ? Something of the story is missing here that we don't get to see, yet.

Just trade him and Roslo for PLD already. Thats where its going. I don't agree, we lose, and would like to know what happened. f***ing drama around this team last few years leaves me with a lot of questions

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I can't understand how we got from "Wpg is good" to wanting out. I think he has had fair usage and success that follows. Why is the guy pissy now ? Something of the story is missing here that we don't get to see, yet.

Just trade him and Roslo for PLD already. Thats where its going. I don't agree, we lose, and would like to know what happened. f***ing drama around this team last few years leaves me with a lot of questions

It is becoming a trend. And it’s concerning. We can’t have one season without a bunch of drama going into it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It would surprise me if Laine is moved now until next off season. This is what’s great about hockey though, it’s ever changing. We have a new season and for better or worse the story evolves.

Nice we will start having actual hockey to complain about tomorrow.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

He isn’t pissy. The media looking for stories says he’s pissy.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

It is becoming a trend. And it’s concerning. We can’t have one season without a bunch of drama going into it.

Agreed that the drama is getting a bit much - guys like Kane, Trouba (multiple times), Buff, Laine, Roslovic, Copp potentially...

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Agreed that the drama is getting a bit much - guys like Kane, Trouba (multiple times), Buff, Laine, Roslovic, Copp potentially...

I think local media amplify anything Jets in the city. As it is the main draw unlike other big cities. There are other distractions.

It can drag for months and yes even years. If nothing else happens.
Unlike in bigger cities. Always there are other news.

Not to knock on Peg, but that's reality.

That's why i think the Jets players tuned it out already. They learned from their mistakes 2 years ago...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This is its own chapter but I remember the Ladd vs Buff which one are we going to give the big deal too season long March that led to Ladd being dealt at the deadline.

Wow did we dodge a bullet on that one. Doubled down on Buff for 5 years who remained our best D man until he retired and traded Ladd who’s best days were behind him already.

Laine is different because he is young but this is part of the business of pro sports.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Most teams have ongoing drama similar to the Jets, but in most cities the NHL is 3rd or 4th in importance so it gets far less local media play. In Winnipeg we are the only game in town for sports media to talk about.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Most teams have ongoing drama similar to the Jets, but in most cities the NHL is 3rd or 4th in importance so it gets far less local media play. In Winnipeg we are the only game in town for sports media to talk about.

Agreed, all Canadian cities are similar in that way......geez Chevy gave LB the backup goalie a contract it was debated in the local talk shows and on our board for days.........when that happens in smaller USA markets it's barely even mentioned. Canada loves it hockey news & drama.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed, all Canadian cities are similar in that way......geez Chevy gave LB the backup goalie a contract it was debated in the local talk shows and on our board for days.........when that happens in smaller USA markets it's barely even mentioned. Canada loves it hockey news & drama.
Just imagine the drama to discuss in Ottawa. The 2 best players in their franchise history left in the middle of their primes as pending UFAs on top of dozens of there player controversies over the last few years.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just imagine the drama to discuss in Ottawa. The 2 best players in their franchise history left in the middle of their primes as pending UFAs on top of dozens of there player controversies over the last few years.

Yea then you throw in an owner who clearly is not fit to own a hockey team financially or emotionally its no wonder the fans quit coming. I use to do allot of business and spend allot of time in Ottawa from 2000 to 2010 and that was a great hockey market in that era.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

You might be widening the gap a bit. Saying "Winnipeg is good" and publicly acknowledging a trade would be beneficial are probably not as extreme as you think. He didn't exactly say he loved playing in Winnipeg, or that he wants to be a career Jet, nor did he say he absolutely wants out of Winnipeg.

He's here, playing for the Jets, but he's keeping his options open. If that means planting seeds, power to him. Chevy, and of course the fans, would probably like to have their ducks in a row, but it won't always be as easy as Scheifele and Ehlers was, and it won't always be as hard as Kane and Trouba was.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and ps241

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The Finnish media people all seem to think that Laine will leave Winnipeg. Hoffren, Mäkinen, Pekka Jalonen etc, people who've talked to him and have lots of finnish hockey contacts.

It's a real shame if he does end up getting traded. The Jets better get a proper return.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The Laine saga is not yet finished but the drama has played out very well so far with the others. There are many potential happy endings for the Jets, with and without him.

Just Trouba and Buff , if they were still with us, would be almost 20% of the cap. Happy to be rid of Trouba at 8M AAV and Buff would unquestionably be in decline physically. He did us a favour by retiring 2 years early after giving us the best years of his memorable career.

Anyone miss Kane yet at $7M AAV?

Of all of the above players, the one I am most partial to is is Andrew Copp. He has all the right stuff to be a C or A on this team and I dearly hope he sticks around.

Last edited:

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
I know PLD for Laine has been discussed as an option (has there’s been any non message board talk about it?).

But I’d love the Jets to take a chance and see if they could pry PLD out o Columbus while keeping Laine. Maybe it’s not possible without trading one of young stars, but I’d like to see the attempt.

We’d have a true no.1 line as our second line and Stasny as a third line centre. Might convince Laine to stick around.

(I’m not good with trades value, but something like two 1st round picks, Roslo, and Ves/Berdin/2nd?)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Finnish media people all seem to think that Laine will leave Winnipeg. Hoffren, Mäkinen, Pekka Jalonen etc, people who've talked to him and have lots of finnish hockey contacts.

It's a real shame if he does end up getting traded. The Jets better get a proper return.
Interesting.

There's been a lot of emphasis on Laine wanting "out", but perhaps not enough attention on whether the Jets are also being proactive in moving in another direction. It's very possible (and perhaps likely) that Laine and his camp are aware that the Jets are looking to move Laine, perhaps because they don't see a reasonable way to fit him into their salary structure, or trying to fill in other roster gaps.

Regardless, a big season from Laine will be good for both the Jets and Laine.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Interesting.

There's been a lot of emphasis on Laine wanting "out", but perhaps not enough attention on whether the Jets are also being proactive in moving in another direction. It's very possible (and perhaps likely) that Laine and his camp are aware that the Jets are looking to move Laine, perhaps because they don't see a reasonable way to fit him into their salary structure, or trying to fill in other roster gaps.

Regardless, a big season from Laine will be good for both the Jets and Laine.

Everything about this since last spring has screamed both sides want change at least that is my take from watching how TNSE operate.

As you said Whileee a big season from Laine wiould be good for both parties and I agree Kaako I would hope for a good return but I am not holding my breath.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm at peace with the Laine situation. I love the kid and hope he realizes his full potential, whether in Winnipeg or elsewhere. Sometimes players just aren't a fit - and it's reciprocal. The Jets aren't a very balanced team right now, and leveraging a scoring forward for other players that can help that balance is a sensible move. Since Laine doesn't really want to be here, it's logical that he's the guy.

If he has an amazing season and the team succeeds and he changes his mind, that's great! If not, I look forward to the Jets maximizing their return for him.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm at peace with the Laine situation. I love the kid and hope he realizes his full potential, whether in Winnipeg or elsewhere. Sometimes players just aren't a fit - and it's reciprocal. The Jets aren't a very balanced team right now, and leveraging a scoring forward for other players that can help that balance is a sensible move. Since Laine doesn't really want to be here, it's logical that he's the guy.

If he has an amazing season and the team succeeds and he changes his mind, that's great! If not, I look forward to the Jets maximizing their return for him.

Very well stated and I agree with everything in this post.

Reactions: Jet

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I only have a problem with this whole Laine situation if Chipman and his silly loyal soldiers approach is insisting on PoMo over big personalities that don't fit that mindset. You just can't stand your ground with someone as mediocre as PoMo.

I understand the difficulty in getting people to want to play in Winnipeg, but you just can't be this rigid. My interpretation of Chipman, even before the Jets arrived was someone who highly values himself. The warning/threat on relocation day set the tone for how Chipman would run things.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Frank Seravalli's 31 bold predictions for the 2020-21 NHL season - TSN.ca

#3 is re: Laine trade prediction

Let me start by saying that I really hope we DON’T trade Laine. I hope that we instead find a way to extend him to a long-term contract. I just don’t see the Jets “winning” a trade involving Laine in the long run (almost every trade scenario floated out there make me feel like we would be big losers in such a trade).

That being said, if such trade were to occur, Dubois as a piece coming back to the Jets is one of the only scenarios that I could be “ok” with (but not happy with, to be clear). This is assuming Dubois would be prepared to extend long-term with the Jets... otherwise this makes no sense. That being said, the Pesce/Trocheck return would be terrible — I would like to think that Chevy knows that such a return would make very little sense. That Pesce / Trocheck possibility is one of the many examples of scenarios that have been floated out there where I see the Jets being major losers in a trade involving Laine. We’re talking about a 22-year old that will likely have multiple 40-to-50-goal seasons throughout his career here (and possibly a few seasons where he actually exceeds 50 goals).

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad