Player Discussion: Laine Thread (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I haven't followed much but whats the consensus of why he wants out? My guess was he wants first line mins and didn't want to have Little as his centre(obv in the past). Is there more?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He doesn’t want out. It’s click bait.

His agent is click bait? Does anyone really believe his agent made that trade statement without Laines approval? Really, I find it hard to believe anyone actually believes Laine knew nothing about the statement beforehand.

Laine approved his agent to make that public statement as a negoitation ploy to "strong arm" the Jets into his prerequisite demands to stay on the team. Failure to meet those demands will lead to another public trade request and failure to comply with said request will result in filing for arbritation next offseason walking himself to UFA in two years (2 one year deals or 1 two year deal).

Don't get me wrong, I get Laines POV 100%, he wants top line mins, top line PP, play with top centre which all leads to top dollars........I get and can respect all that.......but that's pure cutthroat business right there so let's not act Laine wants to stay b/c he loves it here. He's making demands on the team, trying to force them to do what he wants as a "prerequisite & a requirement" to him staying here......let's call it as it is. Again, I'm fine with Laines POV, but it's pure cold business........not love for the city or team. Pure cold hearted business is fine, but it's a double edged sword.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Lets break it down in 2 simple parts.

First 2 years.

Laine just simply played.
And had that love for the game which most young kids have.
He even pen a blog.
Winnipeg is good.
Goes around city un announce plays with kids.
Takes random photos with fans in malls or game shops.
In between that and fort night, growing a beard, he scored 80 goals his first 2 years. Pacing to shattered the all the time record. And trying to do the other things including playing 2nd line most of the time.

The problem along the way.
He felt he was not being given a proper ice time.
Per game.
So he had a proper complain. Meaning justifyable.
Off season was important》》 As Maurice went on record he will give Laine more ice time, on his 3rd year.

Part 2
3rd year was contract year.
This was the year Laine was tried with Scheifele and Wheeler at the beginning of the year. But each time the line dont work Laine get drop down. Even at times it was blantanly obvious it was not Laine who is not working on the top line.
After exploding for 22 goals by end of November. He wasn't still given proper ice time. There was a stretch in December he played with Lowry and played 15mins in a game.
Its when he made that slight remark.
I cant score goals from the bench. Which Maurice didnt like.
Conflict started to pop up not just Laine for the whole team. They started spiraling down.
It didnt help he injured his back and played through it.
Off season was really bad.

I bet this was the time Laine learned NHL is business and there politics involve.
Last year he just went quietly and do the work and started to become the better all around player. And paced his highesr point per game of his career.

Summary:
Lots of people wants to get paid well.
But its more important to treat them fair.
Sometimes we try to mend it and fix it.
Sometimes its too late.

For Laine we don't know until a trade happens. If it happens at all.

It all can change if
Laine plays 20mins a night
Scores 30-35 goals 56-65 points.
Jets made it far to the playoff.
Laine was the go to guy.
Chevy unload the truck to him off season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
His agent is click bait? Does anyone really believe his agent made that trade statement without Laines approval? Really, I find it hard to believe anyone actually believes Laine knew nothing about the statement beforehand.

Laine approved his agent to make that public statement as a negoitation ploy to "strong arm" the Jets into his prerequisite demands to stay on the team. Failure to meet those demands will lead to another public trade request and failure to comply with said request will result in filing for arbritation next offseason walking himself to UFA in two years (2 one year deals or 1 two year deal).

Don't get me wrong, I get Laines POV 100%, he wants top line mins, top line PP, play with top centre which all leads to top dollars........I get and can respect all that.......but that's pure cutthroat business right there so let's not act Laine wants to stay b/c he loves it here. He's making demands on the team, trying to force them to do what he wants as a "prerequisite & a requirement" to him staying here......let's call it as it is. Again, I'm fine with Laines POV, but it's pure cold business........not love for the city or team. Pure cold hearted business is fine, but it's a double edged sword.
While you could be absolutely right on all counts at least the guy is here playing and not sitting at home like Trouba or even Roslovic for that matter.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
I remember some time ago i wrote here he was misused by Maurice and it would hurt his motivation, practically everyone disagreed. Now basically everyone agrees that was the case...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Word on the street in Finland is that Wheeler is maybe the reason.

I think that is the word in finnish media since quite some time IIRC. Or rather in general, that the Jets leadership group disrespects Laine or dislikes him.

To be honest, I was watching closeley after the scrimmage, when the entire squad gathered around centre ice and Scheifele who instructed a final shootout for everyone. Laine drifted to the bench right away and sat there, kind of all alone, for a bit and didn't exactly hurry to get to the centre in which his two captains Wheeler and Scheifele had a talk towards the entire squad. It reminded me a bit about Kane in his last couple of months before "the shower incident".

Obviously it doesn't have to mean anything but I couldn't help but notice it

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
This is all pretty sad if true. A small market team like the Jetsneeds a strong core group of leaders to inspire a bit of loyalty in the players. As has been said many times we're not going to be paying massive signing bonuses or attracting shiny new free agents every year. It'd be decent if somebody could have a word with Laine, maybe get him inspired to lead some of the young European lads who might also feel a bit outside the main group. At the end of the day this is a profession, the squad could do just as well with more than one solid group.

Reactions: jetswin

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
This is all pretty sad if true. A small market team like the Jetsneeds a strong core group of leaders to inspire a bit of loyalty in the players. As has been said many times we're not going to be paying massive signing bonuses or attracting shiny new free agents every year. It'd be decent if somebody could have a word with Laine, maybe get him inspired to lead some of the young European lads who might also feel a bit outside the main group. At the end of the day this is a profession, the squad could do just as well with more than one solid group.

Totally agree but then again we absolutely don't know if Scheifele and Wheelere haven't been trying to get to Laine all along but he just isn't interested. His love-bromance-thing with Ehlers seemed to have cooled down quite a bit over the last year as well... maybe Nikolaj isn't agreeing with his isolating-behaviour and it led to tentions?

Like I said - all of this is purely speculative but I can totally see those factores + Winnipeg ain't that amazing as a compared to other NHL destinations + unhappy about his usage as the reasons for "I think I want out of here".

On the other hand, that also holds the chance for him doing a 180 about it if they start clicking again, problems are resolved and he plays the way Maurice expects him and he goes to the first line usage he's looking for sooner than later. Suddenly, "Winnipeg is good" again...

Reactions: hn777

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Word on the street in Finland is that Wheeler is maybe the reason.
If this is the case, it is stunning to me that Jets are taking a guy with a couple of ok years left in him over a guy with +10 years and the best years still ahead.

You'd think they can see the difference in value each player can bring to the club over time, but i guess not

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
To be honest, I was watching closeley after the scrimmage, when the entire squad gathered around centre ice and Scheifele who instructed a final shootout for everyone. Laine drifted to the bench right away and sat there, kind of all alone, for a bit and didn't exactly hurry to get to the centre in which his two captains Wheeler and Scheifele had a talk towards the entire squad. It reminded me a bit about Kane in his last couple of months before "the shower incident".

You have to look at that clip again.

When the buzzer went off all the players went to the bench. Connor and Statsny sat on the bench and Laine was on top of the board. Then Sheifele started giving instructions. Connor skated all around and craped a few pucks and went shooting. Stats and Paddy sat there together and talked something.

There is nothing going on in there. People shouldn't be so paranoid.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think that is the word in finnish media since quite some time IIRC. Or rather in general, that the Jets leadership group disrespects Laine or dislikes him.

Can't comment on the scrimmage, but I suspect there is some truth in your first sentence.
Wheeler's mantra has been very simple as captain: an NHL pro works harder than they ever imagined they'd have to, and puts the team first. Scheifele bought into this early on and so have a number of other young stars, including Ehlers. Admission into the leadership group is as simple as adhering to the mantra.

Kane never got in because he put his individual interests first and his isolation from the team was pretty obvious to many people long before the shower incident.

Laine does not have the toxic character of E Kane, but he is an individualist, a non-conformist and not yet mature, so may not buy into that culture. If he is perceived as more interested in his personal advancement than in the team he will not fit the culture of the core group, which sets up a self perpetuating cycle of isolation and unhappiness.
That could easily change. Wheeler has also said it took him many years to understand the mindset of an NHL pro. If Laine had such an epiphany, he'd be in there like flint. But I doubt that happens.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
While you could be absolutely right on all counts at least the guy is here playing and not sitting at home like Trouba or even Roslovic for that matter.

He has to play, he’s under contract he has no option legally speaking. Jack has no contract, he isn’t legally required to play, he just hasn’t negotiated any new contract. Same applied for Trouba. Sorry no merit badges for doing what you agreed to and legally required to do.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can't comment on the scrimmage, but I suspect there is some truth in your first sentence.
Wheeler's mantra has been very simple as captain: an NHL pro works harder than they ever imagined they'd have to, and puts the team first. Scheifele bought into this early on and so have a number of other young stars, including Ehlers. Admission into the leadership group is as simple as adhering to the mantra.

Kane never got in because he put his individual interests first and his isolation from the team was pretty obvious to many people long before the shower incident.

Laine does not have the toxic character of E Kane, but he is an individualist, a non-conformist and not yet mature, so may not buy into that culture. If he is perceived as more interested in his personal advancement than in the team he will not fit the culture of the core group, which sets up a self perpetuating cycle of isolation and unhappiness.
That could easily change. Wheeler has also said it took him many years to understand the mindset of an NHL pro. If Laine had such an epiphany, he'd be in there like flint. But I doubt that happens.

I have stated for a while now that the Jets need a more diverse leadership core. It isn't surprising that Wheeler and Scheifele clash with Laine. They are all about hockey all the time and are always working at it. Laine seems to be the type of person who can leave the game at the rink at the end of the day ans would rather focus on other things away from the rink from what I have heard. Its simply a clash of personalities imo and an easy fix is to bring in different leadership types that can more easily relate to Laine and bridge the gap. I think that was one of the main reasons JoMo was given an A and another reason Stastny was brought in.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
You have to look at that clip again.

When the buzzer went off all the players went to the bench. Connor and Statsny sat on the bench and Laine was on top of the board. Then Sheifele started giving instructions. Connor skated all around and craped a few pucks and went shooting. Stats and Paddy sat there together and talked something.

There is nothing going on in there. People shouldn't be so paranoid.

I might have very well overinterpretated what I saw, agree

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I just don’t believe that Laine is “cold hard business”. None of us know him here, but to me he doesn’t seem to care much about the business and more about the hockey.

I agree that he probably wants more ‘hockey’ and that’s natural, but let’s see what happens with the team this year. Better D, better 2C. As well, see how he improves this year. Maybe he gets everything he wants/deserves and we get a content star player.

I’m just not as convinced that he wants out. I do agree that he wants to be the ‘go to guy’. Hopefully he plays well enough to reach that potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad