Value of: Laine Offer Sheet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You'd have to be in the four 1st rounder range for the Jets to not consider signing Laine. Anything is easily matched. And the rest is used to sign everyone else. There is a lot of risk giving up four 1st rounders for any team with the cap space to sign Laine. He scores goals but he isnt a line driver yet and you take a tonne of risk signing him to a high value contract while giving up four 1st rounders.

Reactions: Huffer

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do you think Jets match 5 x 10.4?, which gives Jets 2 firsts, a second, and a third?
i think that's the toughest compensation tier to match, the compensation of 2 x 1sts, 2nd and 3rd seems underwhelming when the next tier (which starts with only an additional 157k in AAV) is 4 x 1sts. Laine isn't close to a 10M player now but he could be one day, possibly. Who is offering that 10.4M tier? these are the only teams that can:

upload_2019-7-5_10-54-26.png

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the Jets have a budget on Laine. Anything less than 10.5 a year they'll match but I wonder if it goes beyond 10.5 million per if they'd take the picks instead.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Maximum July 1st bonus money and then you take the year off. Maybe play 42 games. Chipman is not happy to pay it.

If the Jets pay Laine 10.4 that leafs 12.6 for Connor Copp and 3 other contracts. Good luck.

AlwaysCellyHard

Jun 19, 2019
I know people are worried about Laine's consistency, but he's only been in the league three years.

Now in no way am I comparing Laine to MacKinnon (it's a no brainer who the better player is), but it's a good comparison at that point in both of their careers. If Colorado just gave up on him and traded him when he was barely a 50 point scorer at the time he signed his contract, they'd be kicking themselves. Especially considering the focus teams have been putting on player development, I can't see Winnipeg giving up on talent like that unless another team puts forward a ludicrous offer sheet.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Laine averaging 25 assists a season does not exactly scream 'great passer'

Laine's passing is average at best. He really is nothing except his shot
Yep, he had a down year overall last year, which will likely help us out. Your dislike for Laine is blinding you if you haven't noticed how good he can pass. Whatever though, you're quite often wrong, so just add this to the pile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad