Value of: Laine Offer Sheet

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Problem is, thats all he is. A great shot.
In a team with 19 other players to do the other stuff, that great shot can be the Great Equalizer that tips the scale in favour of the Jets.

He's still just 21, so consistency is not expected by default. I think there is only one player in the league who is consistent at around that age. Unfortunately he is stuck in Edmonton.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Lol, I love that certain people don't seem to realize that Laine is a great passer as well. Makes it even more satisfying when he feeds someone with a beautiful pass and they score on that person's favorite team.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
I love how many of you think Laine can't get any better or improve. If he scores 44 goals as a complete liability and what else, what happens when he.. you know develops? I think gm's realize that and he will get a 8mil bridge contract. He is 21 ffs :laugh:

Bart22

Apr 9, 2018
Chevy will match any offer sheets for Laine or Connor as he can't risk missing out on there potential! The one that I am worried about is an offer sheet for Copp, a valuable piece to the organisation. If it is high enough for the Jets not to be able to re-sign Laine, Connor and Copp then there lies the problem.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think most teams with the high end rfa's would likely match anything under 11 x 5 . You might have to go 12+x5 to make them flinch .

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Lol, I love that certain people don't seem to realize that Laine is a great passer as well. Makes it even more satisfying when he feeds someone with a beautiful pass and they score on that person's favorite team.

But with only 20 assists last season, it would suggest that these beautiful passes don’t happen very often.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
The problem with all high end RFAs is that there is very little untapped potential that could tip the scales so that an offer makes sense but it would not make sense for the current team to match.

Paying Laine (or Marner or Rantanen) as elite first line winger? Their current teams would prefer smaller contract but not the end it would be a gamble they would also willing to make. So the offering team would have to go so high that it would become bad contract (for them, if unmatched).

That is why the latest unmatched Offer Sheet is still Penner, because Oilers was willing to gamble and pay him above his role. But those secondary targets have been locked already, because the teams know that those could have actually been problematic.

Laine is interesting case because there is concerns whether he ever become as good as he can be. So one could entertain the thought that if Jets would be forced to choose whether to pay him as elite 1st line winger already (9.5-10.5 AAV over 5 years), there is a chance that they would accept compensation instead. And the acquiring team would still get Laine on ok contract in case he would become who he could be.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That’s fine. When you look up at the end of the season and he has 30+ goals that’s important.

Now, if you want to have a debate about what his contract should then that’s a different conversation

45 players scored 30+ goals this year

and literally all of them other than Arvidsson and Gallagher had more assists than Laine did

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wow, this is a tough one. When he's on he's terrifying and can seemingly score at will, but then goes through stretches where you barely notice he's on the ice. Seems to have a difficult personality to deal with, too. Bridge would seem reasonable, but if he pushes for big money then wonder what the Jets will do.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Laine got lazy last year and I think you can blame a lot of that on the coach. I would love for him to be a Hurricane and see what he could do playing their fast pace up and down press 'em game.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
A 21 Year old who scored 36,44, and 30 goals in his first 3 seasons seems risky? Ok lol

He slumped big time last year but he still finished with 30 Goals. Not many players in the world can shoot the puck like him. He’s a legit sniper. He’s ONLY 21. You don’t give up on that.

The problem is 18 of those 30 were in one month. That means 12 in the other 5....
That isn’t good no matter how you try and spin it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The problem with all high end RFAs is that there is very little untapped potential that could tip the scales so that an offer makes sense but it would not make sense for the current team to match.

Paying Laine (or Marner or Rantanen) as elite first line winger? Their current teams would prefer smaller contract but not the end it would be a gamble they would also willing to make. So the offering team would have to go so high that it would become bad contract (for them, if unmatched).

That is why the latest unmatched Offer Sheet is still Penner, because Oilers was willing to gamble and pay him above his role. But those secondary targets have been locked already, because the teams know that those could have actually been problematic.

Laine is interesting case because there is concerns whether he ever become as good as he can be. So one could entertain the thought that if Jets would be forced to choose whether to pay him as elite 1st line winger already (9.5-10.5 AAV over 5 years), there is a chance that they would accept compensation instead. And the acquiring team would still get Laine on ok contract in case he would become who he could be.

Travis Konecny is in that tier where another GM might gamble and make us think long and hard before matching. To your point, hes the one I'm worried about, not Provorov.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Coming off a 50 point season? He can get a lot of fortnite in while he sits out
...but he can still score 30 goals if he's playing fortnite on the bench between shifts, so, he'll get paid $$$$

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He needs a better gaming chair, with lumbar support and a firm but cushioned seat.

How f***ing sad would it be if THAT was the cause of his back injuries. LOL

Edit: Also, my back hurts because of that exact same reason.....but I don't have $10,000,000 a year riding on the line.

Reactions: BatVader

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I said when the season ended Laine at 10.5 is the most likely and realistic offer sheet

Good chance Jets match but last season was underwhelming and a bit worrysome so maybe they think about it.

I still think thats the case today. Under 2 firsts they 100% match (and Laine wouldnt even sign so low)

Is he worth 4 firsts? Truth be told he might be. I still think he has a higher ceiling than all the others - Aho, Point, Marner, Ranta...

Doesnt mean he reaches his ceiling as theres definitely some risk. But he could turn into a multiple time 50 goal (60?) Scorer in his career.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
How ****ing sad would it be if THAT was the cause of his back injuries. LOL

Edit: Also, my back hurts because of that exact same reason.....but I don't have $10,000,000 a year riding on the line.
Most people don’t realize that sitting affects your back.
If you aren’t sitting straight, then your back isn’t aligned properly and it strains muscles leaving you more susceptible to injury.
It’s why you should never have your wallet in your back pocket when your sitting down.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Most people don’t realize that sitting affects your back.
If you aren’t sitting straight, then your back isn’t aligned properly and it strains muscles leaving you more susceptible to injury.
It’s why you should never have your wallet in your back pocket when your sitting down.

The wallet is the last of my concerns when I sit at my desk like this lol

upload_2019-7-5_8-54-15.jpeg

Reactions: BatVader

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Laine averaging 25 assists a season does not exactly scream 'great passer'

Laine's passing is average at best. He really is nothing except his shot

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad