Value of: Laine Offer Sheet

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
What would the Jets do if someone offered him 5xAho?

Compensation of a 1st 2nd and 3rd

Laine seems risky after this past season but a team could take a shot with him in hopes he bounces back.

The Jets would likely have to pick one of Laine or Connor given they have only 7 forwards signed.

Would the match and make it work? Would they consider letting him go and not risking a bad contract?

Just a casual conversation not trying to ruffle feathers.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What would the Jets do if someone offered him 5xAho?

Compensation of a 1st 2nd and 3rd

Laine seems risky after this past season but a team could take a shot with him in hopes he bounces back.

The Jets would likely have to pick one of Laine or Connor given they have only 7 forwards signed.

Would the match and make it work? Would they consider letting him go and not risking a bad contract?

Just a casual conversation not trying to ruffle feathers.

Huh?

Ignoring Connor and Laine

Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Perreault, Little, Lowry, Appleton, Roslovic and Vesalainen. Add Copp and there's our roster for opening day.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If Laine gets an offer sheet equivalent to Aho and it is matched, do Jets then still have cap space to sign Connor?

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I'm shocked teams haven't put a serious offer sheet in on Laine or Connor. Winnipeg's matching an offer for either would make matching a subsequent offer on the other tremendously difficult unless they have zero ambition of addressing their blue line.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm shocked teams haven't put a serious offer sheet in on Laine or Connor. Winnipeg's matching an offer for either would make matching a subsequent offer on the other tremendously difficult unless they have zero ambition of addressing their blue line.

Aside from a great value signing late summer I would expect the Jets to head into the season with the bodies they have on D. Any move to "fix" the defense won't be at the expense of signing Laine, Connor and Copp.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
A 21 Year old who scored 36,44, and 30 goals in his first 3 seasons seems risky? Ok lol

He slumped big time last year but he still finished with 30 Goals. Not many players in the world can shoot the puck like him. He’s a legit sniper. He’s ONLY 21. You don’t give up on that.
Problem is, thats all he is. A great shot.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If Laine gets an offer sheet equivalent to Aho and it is matched, do Jets then still have cap space to sign Connor?
Yes the aho deal isn't a crippling contract at all . Cap would only get tricky if you went to 10.5 and over I think.

The aho deal is an easy match for all the top rfas. Not expensive and the compensation is garbage Montreal only tried it cuz they thought they could scare Carolina with signing bonuses.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Problem is, thats all he is. A great shot.

That’s fine. When you look up at the end of the season and he has 30+ goals that’s important.

Now, if you want to have a debate about what his contract should then that’s a different conversation

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What do the jets have left for cap ? 23 mil?
Laine - 8.5 mil
Connor - 8.5 mil
(Not saying if they are worth that, just worst case senecio IMO for cap hit )
Leaves 6 mil for Copp Poink and ??

Crap... looks like the Jets moving Ehlers out is a pipe dream as a Devils fan . Him being traded or one of Connor / Laine becoming available via offer sheet or trade is not going to happen unless someone offers a crazy amount offer sheet wise.

Reactions: Heldig

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That’s fine. When you look up at the end of the season and he has 30+ goals that’s important.

Now, if you want to have a debate about what his contract should then that’s a different conversation
Well of course 30 goals carries value.

How much?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
A 21 Year old who scored 36,44, and 30 goals in his first 3 seasons seems risky? Ok lol

He slumped big time last year but he still finished with 30 Goals. Not many players in the world can shoot the puck like him. He’s a legit sniper. He’s ONLY 21. You don’t give up on that.
The problem with Laine is he dissapears for long stretches and is a complete liability inless he scores. He has a terrible attitide and if it came down to him or Kyle, I think Kyle is more valuable going forward. I know plus-minus isnt a great gauge, but for Laine to be -20 something on a team that was majority plus says something about him and being a liability.

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut
I'm pretty sure that a good playmaking center with more offensive upside than Little could help him to become a regular 50+ scorer.

Laine is also a great passer, again with the right line mates he would be able to put up big numbers in that departement. Just look at the period Stastny was on a line with him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The problem with Laine is he dissapears for long stretches and is a complete liability inless he scores. He has a terrible attitide and if it came down to him or Kyle, I think Kyle is more valuable going forward. I know plus-minus isnt a great gauge, but for Laine to be -20 something on a team that was majority plus says something about him and being a liability.
Even If you don't think laine is reliable I'd still match a 1st 2nd and 3rd offer sheet for him. Even if you have to hold him for a year you'll get better than that a year out if you wanna trade him .

His bad season probably saved the jets a bunch of headaches tho. Teams are probably wary of going hard for him and you can probably get him on a reasonable bridge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad