Value of: Laine Offer Sheet

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I love how many of you think Laine can't get any better or improve. If he scores 44 goals as a complete liability and what else, what happens when he.. you know develops? I think gm's realize that and he will get a 8mil bridge contract. He is 21 ffs :laugh:
What happens when he regresses at age 20, only scores 30 goals and is a complete liability?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What do the jets have left for cap ? 23 mil?
Laine - 8.5 mil
Connor - 8.5 mil
(Not saying if they are worth that, just worst case senecio IMO for cap hit )
Leaves 6 mil for Copp Poink and ??

Crap... looks like the Jets moving Ehlers out is a pipe dream as a Devils fan . Him being traded or one of Connor / Laine becoming available via offer sheet or trade is not going to happen unless someone offers a crazy amount offer sheet wise.
Firstly. They are not giving Laine & Connor both 8.5 unless they sign them to long-term deals. One will for sure get bridged for less. After that, yes it gets a little dicey signing Copp, Pionk, and 4 ELCs, but not impossible. They also have a couple of tradable guys making ~4 (Perrault & Kulikov). Sure, noty a lot of interest in those guys but someone would take them albeit not at great value. long & short, Jets have a ton of flexibility still

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Firstly. They are not giving Laine & Connor both 8.5 unless they sign them to long-term deals. One will for sure get bridged for less. After that, yes it gets a little dicey signing Copp, Pionk, and 4 ELCs, but not impossible. They also have a couple of tradable guys making ~4 (Perrault & Kulikov). Sure, noty a lot of interest in those guys but someone would take them albeit not at great value. long & short, Jets have a ton of flexibility still
He did say..... “(Not saying if they are worth that, just worst case senecio IMO for cap hit )“

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Chevy will match any offer sheets for Laine or Connor as he can't risk missing out on there potential! The one that I am worried about is an offer sheet for Copp, a valuable piece to the organisation. If it is high enough for the Jets not to be able to re-sign Laine, Connor and Copp then there lies the problem.

Copp can be let go, as I anticipate Overcharge (his agent) will be nothing but problems anyway (ala Trouba). Now they won't let him go for nothing, so if the offer isn't ludicrous they match it and trade him later. As indicated earlier, we have plenty of flexibility in meeting the cap, that is not an issue

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think Laine might be a candidate for a long hold out. He's in a weird position of having goal scoring totals that are elite but coming off a year where he was not great.

I'm sure Laine and his camp want to get paid off of his goals while I am sure Winnipeg is more concerned about his last 5 months.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
My guess is Winnipeg matches anything not worth 4 1st round picks. Laine has a special scoring ability that would be almost impossible to find again.
No, the Jets might not match 5 x $10.4 or so which results in 2 1st picks. Two firsts is tempting and Jets don't have the money, cap or other-wise, for a bonus laden contract. I'd say that offer would get any team Laine.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
No, the Jets might not match 5 x $10.4 or so which results in 2 1st picks. Two firsts is tempting and Jets don't have the money, cap or other-wise, for a bonus laden contract. I'd say that offer would get any team Laine.
Disagree. No team can afford to give up on a top scorer (even with all of his faults) for a couple 1sts. It will take a 4 1st round compensation offer for Laine (or Connor or Marner or Tkachuk or Rantanen) for the team to accept the picks.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The problem with Laine is he dissapears for long stretches and is a complete liability inless he scores. He has a terrible attitide and if it came down to him or Kyle, I think Kyle is more valuable going forward. I know plus-minus isnt a great gauge, but for Laine to be -20 something on a team that was majority plus says something about him and being a liability.
Copp was plus 20. Maybe he should get the 10 million.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
You can't put bonuses in the contract unless the player is over 35. The Jets also have the richest ownership in the league

Most goals wins the game. Them's the rules.
And when your defensive game is so bad you give up more goals than you score, you are a liability. Thems the rules

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Disagree. No team can afford to give up on a top scorer (even with all of his faults) for a couple 1sts. It will take a 4 1st round compensation offer for Laine (or Connor or Marner or Tkachuk or Rantanen) for the team to accept the picks.
But it's the 10.4 that kills it for the Jets. They don't have 10.4 to spend on Laine.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
You can't put bonuses in the contract unless the player is over 35. The Jets also have the richest ownership in the league

And when your defensive game is so bad you give up more goals than you score, you are a liability. Thems the rules
What????
Aho just signed a bonus heavy contract at what, 21!

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

A contract structured like Aho's is what I meant. Money up front, even if there is a lockout Laine gets paid. Isn't that bonus money?
And you are right about the letting goals in part but there are 5 other players on the ice. Maybe it's their fault. :)

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
^ @Dustin agreed. I could see it being a difficult negotiation with Laine.
Kid has potential of course and is already an elite goal scorer. That being said if you give him a large contract and he disappears again for a long stretch the fans and media will turn against him.

If I'm Winnipeg I guess I match anything that does not get me four 1st's and hope he figures it out this year.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What people are not talking about.
Laine was the Jets best forward overall through 6 game stretch against the Blues series.

His 4 rounds of playoff resume has 16 points at 19 and 20 years of age.

This will be his 21 year old season coming in.
Im expecting he'll just take it and run.
He was young and over thinking where he should be in the line up and how much minutes he was getting.

Go Laine!

110 goals :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Saitama

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What would the Jets do if someone offered him 5xAho?

Compensation of a 1st 2nd and 3rd

Laine seems risky after this past season but a team could take a shot with him in hopes he bounces back.

The Jets would likely have to pick one of Laine or Connor given they have only 7 forwards signed.

Would the match and make it work? Would they consider letting him go and not risking a bad contract?

Just a casual conversation not trying to ruffle feathers.
5 x 8.45M is an easy match methinks. Guys who typically score 30ish goals are in the 7M range in UFA, ie: Lee, Kane, Pacioretty, JVR. Laine amassed 30 goals/50 pts in an extremely down year and has far more room for growth and upside than those players whether he hits or not is tbd. He shouldn't be getting as much as Aho though, IMO, but i think Aho is being under-paid

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad