Post-Game Talk: Laine gone wild; Jets beat canes 3-2

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't get the Little bashing at all , he can score but right now it's his defense and winning faceoffs that's really important . He will be a very important player come playoffs . Maybe once Lowry is back the Little line can focus more on offense , it wouldn't surprise me at all if Maurice has told that line to concentrate more on defense right now .

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
well...nah.
you can call whomever you want the 3rd line. third lines are usually the more defensively-minded lines, and that is not ESL.
the third line's Little-Perreault-Roslovic.

That could be PLR, but it's not listed as such ("de jure") and it's having 2nd line minutes while ESL is having 3rd line minutes so yeah, ESL is the de facto & de jure 3rd line ATM.

I'm hoping that to change though I have no problem with PLR that is doing well except not scoring over couple of their last games.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
That could be PLR, but it's not listed as such ("de jure") and it's having 2nd line minutes while ESL is having 3rd line minutes so yeah, ESL is the de facto & de jure 3rd line ATM.

I'm hoping that to change though I have no problem with PLR that is doing well except not scoring over couple of their last games.
you're splitting non-existent hairs.
Little played 15 fewer seconds than Stastny.
Little played 45 fewer seconds of PP/PK time.
if you want to use that metric, then who is centring the third line?
and, again, the 3rd line is on for d match-ups. so one can assume, rightly or wrongly, that Little's line was on more for D match-up purposes, which would be where the 3rd line traditionally goes, not the scoring line

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
2 games without a point? Now they are useless?

The over reaction and terrible hot takes to little and his line are so bad it's actually not funny.

Everyone quick, go to the Statsny thread!

Look at the side by side comparison between him and Little!

One is a 7mil player one is 4.7 mil player. Soon to be a 5.3 mil player.

I think a lot of people are having a hard time understanding how value works in the NHL.

Derrick Brassard had 1 more point than Little going into the trade deadline..... If you compare those 2 guys Little looks amazing.

Jeez
Hey now
You know logic and knowledge has no place here :laugh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The wheel of players that everyone seems to spin and pick on from week to week... Today it's on Little...
I don't really look at it as picking on anyone. Some players struggle for periods of time. Ordinarily Little is a very good player on a very good contract. He is going through a rough stretch right now, and he's had a rough stretch earlier.

I think we can safely mention when someone is having a hard time hockying. I don't know if most people think it's forever, but it's just a slump.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thinking about Little's play, I thought that earlier this season he was a bit slow, and wondered if he was dealing with a nagging injury. At that time, I suggested that Copp might be a better option with Ehlers and Laine because of his speed and strength and puck retrieval. Lately, I think Little has been playing quickly, but hasn't been meshing as well with Perreault, who has been playing more East-West in the offensive zone than Little is used to. Still, I think that as long as Little plays with this pace, he and that line will be fine.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
you're splitting non-existent hairs.
Little played 15 fewer seconds than Stastny.
Little played 45 fewer seconds of PP/PK time.
if you want to use that metric, then who is centring the third line?
and, again, the 3rd line is on for d match-ups. so one can assume, rightly or wrongly, that Little's line was on more for D match-up purposes, which would be where the 3rd line traditionally goes, not the scoring line

Stastny played some shifts with Wheeler and Scheifele I guess defending the lead. That increases his ES TOI without ESL line being on ice.

Perreault and Roslovic played around 1 minutes more than Ehlers and Laine on ES.

So my point stands. ESL is the de facto & de jure 3rd line. Though I hope that is changing since 12 minutes for Ehlers and 14:16 (or 12:30 ES) for red hot Laine is simply not enough and it just puzzles me how they again were able to score 2 ES goals.

I'm not interested if ESL is called 3rd line by Maurice, but at least it should get 2nd line minutes while it's hot.

Reactions: hudster

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Stastny played some shifts with Wheeler and Scheifele I guess defending the lead. That increases his ES TOI without ESL line being on ice.

Perreault and Roslovic played around 1 minutes more than Ehlers and Laine on ES.

So my point stands. ESL is the de facto & de jure 3rd line. Though I hope that is changing since 12 minutes for Ehlers and 14:16 (or 12:30 ES) for red hot Laine is simply not enough and it just puzzles me how they again were able to score 2 ES goals.

I'm not interested if ESL is called 3rd line by Maurice, but at least it should get 2nd line minutes while it's hot.
You could also argue that it was in fact Laine who was hot and should just get extra shifts. Mo felt that Little's line was better at defending and if we were playing from behind that line would have got more playing time.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Thinking about Little's play, I thought that earlier this season he was a bit slow, and wondered if he was dealing with a nagging injury. At that time, I suggested that Copp might be a better option with Ehlers and Laine because of his speed and strength and puck retrieval. Lately, I think Little has been playing quickly, but hasn't been meshing as well with Perreault, who has been playing more East-West in the offensive zone than Little is used to. Still, I think that as long as Little plays with this pace, he and that line will be fine.

Little doesn’t mesh with ANYONE else than Wheeler. He managed to bog even Matty Frigging P’s production. He makes everyone around him worse as opposed to better.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You could also argue that it was in fact Laine who was hot and should just get extra shifts. Mo felt that Little's line was better at defending and if we were playing from behind that line would have got more playing time.

Get real. Stastny is a C and good on the dot. Do you not understand why you would want two C on the ice for a DZ faceoff? Laine offers nothing like that. Why would he be put in that position?

Playing great has nothing to do with it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Little doesn’t mesh with ANYONE else than Wheeler. He managed to bog even Marty Frigging P’s production. He makes everyone around him worse as opposed to better.
Nice take, any other gems to contribute?

Who the hell is Marty?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Nice take, any other gems to contribute?

Who the hell is Marty?

iPhone autocorrected Matty, that’s what.

But please tell me where I am wrong, ELL didn’t mesh at all and now PLR is a bit of a mess.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
I don't get the Little bashing at all , he can score but right now it's his defense and winning faceoffs that's really important . He will be a very important player come playoffs . Maybe once Lowry is back the Little line can focus more on offense , it wouldn't surprise me at all if Maurice has told that line to concentrate more on defense right now .
Yes I agree with you. Also people have to remember he’s not getting pp1 time anymore. Of course his points are going to drop. Agree his play might be lagging a bit compared to previous years but it’s not significant.

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Get real. Stastny is a C and good on the dot. Do you not understand why you would want two C on the ice for a DZ faceoff? Laine offers nothing like that. Why would he be put in that position?

Playing great has nothing to do with it.
I didn't argue against Stast it was between Ehlers and Laine I was referring to.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Only time this season we have lost with a third period lead. Nashville has come from behind 4 or 5 times in the last 2 weeks so something to watch for. We need great goaltending to beat them we didn't get this when we played. No one said winning was going to be easy.
I ;think we beat nashville most nights with a healthy lineup, like they had.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
17GR-93pts Nashville (127 pts max)
17GR-89pts Vegas (123 pts max)
17GR-87pts Winnipeg (121 pts max)
16GR-81pts Minnesota (113 pts max)
17GR-79pts Dallas (113 pts max)
16GR-79pts San Jose (111 pts max)
16GR-78pts Anaheim (110 pts max)
16GR-77pts Los Angeles (109 pts max)

17GR-76pts Colorado (110 pts max)
16GR-75pts St. Louis (107 pts max)
16GR-73pts Calgary (105 pts max)
16GR-64pts Chicago (96 pts max)
17GR-58pts Edmonton (92 pts max)
17GR-57pts Vancouver (91 pas max)
18GR-50pts Arizona (86 pts max)

As of tonight, the Jets can no longer be passed by Arizona. Were Arizona to win every game for the balance of the season the best they can do is achieve 86 pts. The Jets already have 87 pts.

Looking at Vancouver they can finish with a maximum point total of 91. The Jets have 87 points. 91-87=4. Since we're a long ways away from accounting for tie breakers we'll pretend the magic number is 5. You should be able to continue on with the reasoning from here.

Magic Numbers:
24-Colorado
23-Los Angeles
21-St. Louis
19 Calgary
10 Chicago
6 Edmonton
5 Vancouver
0 Arizona
I like this view of the numbers. I'd like to see that updated daily on the Magic Numbers thread. Sometimes things just make sense to different people, and this makes most sense to me.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Little doesn’t mesh with ANYONE else than Wheeler. He managed to bog even Matty Frigging P’s production. He makes everyone around him worse as opposed to better.

Wow......and according to some around here the only "whipping boy" on this team is a 19 year old born in Finland. Nobody else on the team is ever criticized.

Why do you feel the need to post like this? Why do you need to drag down and discredit other Jet players not named Laine

Reactions: Ducky10 and Hulide

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Wow......and according to some around here the only "whipping boy" on this team is a 19 year old born in Finland. Nobody else on the team is ever criticized.

Why do you feel the need to post like this? Why do you need to drag down and discredit other Jet players not named Laine
Because this is exactly what i said. Why you gotta talk in hyperboles?

And yes, this is a jab at me and the discussion we had. The discussion where i, by the way, said that Little gets too much shit.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I didn't argue against Stast it was between Ehlers and Laine I was referring to.

the post you replied to was primarily about Stastny getting extra shifts with Scheifele and Wheeler. And you said Laine should be the one to get extra shifts because he was hot. You never mentioned Ehlers at all.

Just sayin' if that was your intention, it sure didn't come across that way.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Nice of you to show up and sideswipe a player who has more career goals than anyone else in this franchise aside from Kovalchuk and more points than anyone aside from Kovi and Wheeler. The handle says it all.

Little has struggled a bit of late, as do all players, but he will come out of, just as Wheeler has in the past.
In the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing both the Scheifele and Little lines shaken up for a few games, just get them all going. This worked for Little Ladd Wheeler many times in the past.
Perreault Scheifele Armia
Connor Little Wheeler
STASTNY LINE
Copp Lowry/Roslovic /Tanev

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Are you serious? I absolutely love Buff, Wheeler, Scheifele etc. But Little’s new contract is going to be an anchor. He’s played poorly all year and doesn’t click with anyone. Matty P was great even with Hendricks, but has been completely invisible with Little. I bet the second line would start playing great if they got Copp to center them instead.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Because this is exactly what i said. Why you gotta talk in hyperboles?

And yes, this is a jab at me and the discussion we had. The discussion where i, by the way, said that Little gets too much ****.

And why do people feel the need to insert Laine in every conversation? This is not about Laine, this is about Little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad