Speculation: Laine/Ehlers Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fair enough, but the point still stands that the Trouba scenario played out as bad as possible and it still didn’t end up catastrophic for the jets at all

If you lucked out 10 feet from the edge the first time, tempting fate to see how much closer before you go over is not a smart strategy IMO. Best to attempt to resolve it sooner rather than later.

There's still basically a year till it gets as bad as Trouba, so there's still time.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
The reason why the Jets won't do this is simple. There isn't a chance in Hell that Gaudreau stays in Winnipeg past his current contract.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’d do Boeser and a bit of an add for Pesce.

I like Boeser a lot but the problem is Carolina doesn’t have any sort of depth on RHD to be trading from that position.

I mean if we could trade Pesce for Boeser + and then sign Tanev in UFA for like 4 x 5AAV then sure but that seems like poor asset management from the Canucks as I’m sure the idea is to keep Tanev and add another high end RHD

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If you lucked out 10 feet from the edge the first time, tempting fate to see how much closer before you go over is not a smart strategy IMO. Best to attempt to resolve it sooner rather than later.

There's still basically a year till it gets as bad as Trouba, so there's still time.
I wouldn’t call it lucked out necessarily though. I feel that at the time the jets were a really good team making Trouba look a little better than he is and at the time the Rangers were forced to play Pionk in a 1D role for a portion of the year making him look much worse than he is. I do understand what you’re saying about not wanting to try this game of trading stars over and over though but that’s where I think things are getting overblown. Laine has not demanded a trade. The jets have not said they want to trade him, all quite the opposite. The only reason Laine didn’t have a long contract last time up was cap limitations. Now there are holes in the roster that a player like Laine (and Ehlers has been mentioned) would be able to fill if traded. So as any GM would, if you can make a trade that makes your team better as a whole you explore it. This whole thread has gotten overblown with “this is the best the jets will get so they better take it” and “Laine is leaving in free agency” when none of those can be substantiated and the reality is that if there are no offers that make the jets better, they will keep Laine and work out a deal like they did with Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Conner, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Byfuglien, etc.

Reactions: Snowman and Fig

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
How am I demeaning the handling of Laine's contract...? There was no other way for the Jets to handle the bridge contract. It's a reasonable deal and works for both sides but if by the end of the deal there is no contract in place it's no longer because of cap issues. Even if Point doesn't have a contract in place by his last year of his extension it's most likely because of Tampa cap issues which is not the case with Laine.

The two posts you have quoted do not correlate with your comment. Where did I praise Tampa's handling of Points contract? I said Point waited a season before taking a bridge contract not because he didn't want to play for Tampa but because he wanted make more. Laine didn't have anything to prove so he got that bridge contract right away. The scenarios are not the same at all yet you're trying to equate them saying that I think one was better then the other. If Tampa has the cap space to sign Point before the last season of his bridge contract and they don't then I would say the same thing about his trade value and how it could be a risky scenario for them.
Of course, if a team has cap space and doesn’t sign a player it is about more than cap space. That’s for any and every player in the entire league. No source has said that’s the case here, there have been zero reports that the jets and Laine are “far apart” as there are many times with other players, even many that still end up being signed. You’re flagging this whole scenario in such a bad light when in reality is a very normal scenario that has been blown up by the media. Every GM explores trades all year in an effort to make their team better.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Doesnt work for the Canucks cause if were trading Demko means were keeping Marky which means we need to EXPOSE a goalie and if this Reimer character only has ONE year left means we CANT expose him so whats the Point?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Offering Patrick isn't ridiculous...when was the last time he played???
What baggage are you referring to?
Fair enough on Patrick . I think philly could be good partners though like another poster said . Some combination of frost farabee Myers first . I’m referring to scheiffle not wanting him on his line , Laine sulking about not playing with scheiffle, contract demands and apparently an inconsistent effort . I could be way off on his character . Just seems to be an impression of him that raises a red flag . Is he selfish ?
For example there’s been a lot of domi threads to Winnipeg . I’d be honest to say a lot would have to be added to domi to get Laine . But character wise you would love domi . He fought guys much bigger than him picking up for teammates . He didn’t complain about the fourth line . He gives a shit about losing . He’d put the pads on if you asked him to .

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Jets pass easily.

Also, as others have said, I don't see how the Canes can afford Laine after next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad