Speculation: Laine/Ehlers Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
My bad for not doing research before that statement, should have known that beforehand instead of saying never.

That being said, do you think it's fair to compare these two situations? Trouba was not near Laine level of good when he took those two arb contracts.
if laine doesn't go to arbitration what would his options be? he could hold out a year but then he becomes a free agent 1 year later, if his plan is to become a ufa asap then 1 year arb contract is the fastest way.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
The Jets are literally the example with Trouba. I doubt they want to test fate and go through that all over again with a higher calibre player in Laine. Jets could be spooked in consummating a deal rather than playing hardball. That wouldn't bode well for Jets fans.

That was a completely different situation though. It came down to the fact that Trouba only wanted to sign in one place so the Jets essentially had to wait until the Rangers were willing to acquire him or keep doing arb contracts until he was a UFA. It's not a normal thing in the NHL.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That was a completely different situation though. It came down to the fact that Trouba only wanted to sign in one place so the Jets essentially had to wait until the Rangers were willing to acquire him or keep doing arb contracts until he was a UFA. It's not a normal thing in the NHL.

I wasn't aware Trouba only wanted to go to one place. I thought he just wanted an Eastern conference US based team for his fiance's medical career.

Jacob Trouba says he wanted to play in U.S. so fiancée could pursue her medical career

According to this, it didn't have to be NY, but NY was a good landing spot and he was one season away from UFA, so some teams might have been spooked by that too.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
if laine doesn't go to arbitration what would his options be? he could hold out a year but then he becomes a free agent 1 year later, if his plan is to become a ufa asap then 1 year arb contract is the fastest way.

I don't think he would leave because he wants to be a UFA and get more money. I think if he were to leave it's because he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg which would mean it would make more sense for Winnipeg to get as much for him as you possibly can. Laine going to play a season in Finland doesn't seem that out there and it's not like Winnipeg would just keep him there. They would try and get assets for him while their core is still vying for a cup.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't think he would leave because he wants to be a UFA and get more money. I think if he were to leave it's because he doesn't want to play in Winnipeg which would mean it would make more sense for Winnipeg to get as much for him as you possibly can. Laine going to play a season in Finland doesn't seem that out there and it's not like Winnipeg would just keep him there. They would try and get assets for him while their core is still vying for a cup.
he's not going to go to finland, if he wants to force his way out the best way to do that is through arbitration

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
I wasn't aware Trouba only wanted to go to one place. I thought he just wanted an Eastern conference US based team for his fiance's medical career.

Jacob Trouba says he wanted to play in U.S. so fiancée could pursue her medical career

According to this, it didn't have to be NY, but NY was a good landing spot and he was one season away from UFA, so some teams might have been spooked by that too.

I remember him not wanting to be in Canada for sure. He was given the okay to negotiate with any team that was going to trade for him so the UFA thing wasn't a huge concern for teams looking to acquire him.

Reactions: Fig

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Do you think they have a contract extension ready to go? Honestly wondering.
I doubt it. I think it is in both parties interest to see how at least some of the next season plays out.

As a guy thats watched almost every game laine has played in, there are times when he looks like a bona-fide superstar worth 9mil + per year. Other games he looks like a gifted winger worth 7-8 mil per year.

Obviously laine wants to prove he's the former, and if the jets are gonna pony up that kind of cash they need solid confirmation that he's worth it.

That said, there may be a team out there that wants him badly enough that they're willing to meet chevys asking price and then sign laine to the contract he wants. But there's no pressure for the jets to take 75 cents on the dollar in a trade for him. It may come to.that, but not yet.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
PHI: Patrik Laine
WIN: Nolan Patrick, Travis Sanheim, 2020 1st

what do you guys think?

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020
PHI: Patrik Laine
WIN: Nolan Patrick, Travis Sanheim, 2020 1st

what do you guys think?
ZRXYv6s.gif

GibsonIsGod666

Jul 15, 2020
ANA: Laine, 10th OA
WIN: Henrique, Manson, 6th OA

The Jets can then flip the 6th overall pick or use it to draft Rossi if they think he is ready for the NHL. Thoughts?

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
I doubt it. I think it is in both parties interest to see how at least some of the next season plays out.

As a guy thats watched almost every game laine has played in, there are times when he looks like a bona-fide superstar worth 9mil + per year. Other games he looks like a gifted winger worth 7-8 mil per year.

Obviously laine wants to prove he's the former, and if the jets are gonna pony up that kind of cash they need solid confirmation that he's worth it.

That said, there may be a team out there that wants him badly enough that they're willing to meet chevys asking price and then sign laine to the contract he wants. But there's no pressure for the jets to take 75 cents on the dollar in a trade for him. It may come to.that, but not yet.

I could definitely see that, thanks for the response.

I'm not even making the argument that the Jets should be taking lowball offers. I think they can get a pretty good haul for Laine but the chance of that get less likely the longer they hold on to him.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Most RFAs don't hold out because they haven't proven they're good enough to hold out. Laine has nothing to prove. All those players that you mentioned didn't sign fast because they felt they could get a bigger contract if they waited and they were right. Lets take a look at each player you mentioned:

Point could have signed after his 66 point season but he bet on himself and proceeded to follow it up with a 92 point season and got paid accordingly.

Rantanen re-signed after proving his 80 point season wasn't a fluke and got paid accordingly.

Aho could have signed after the 65 point season but he waited, improved next season and got paid accordingly.

Saying Marner didn't hold out is full blown ignorance I'm sorry. He was fully prepared to hold out if he did not get the contract he deserved (Now whether that was more his choice or his Dads is a fair point to contest). Pretending I'm saying he held out because he didn't sign the first chance he got is an argument made in complete bad faith.

Did I even say that his value is currently diminished? No. I said his value WILL diminish if it gets to the point where his contract is up and he doesn't want to sign a new contract.
Point got paid accordingly? He has a bridge deal. Aho got paid accordingly? He got an offer sheet and a quite low one at that if you ask anyone objective. Yes Rantanen got paid accordingly, though still didn’t sign immediately as you seem to be implying. And if that’s what paid accordingly is, the jets management will have no issue signing him long term. And this insinuating Marner held out is nonsense. Was he playing hardball? Sure, but it was no where near a hold out. And yes of course Laine’s value will be lower if he gets to the point that he’s refusing to sign a contact and his is up. The issue is that you’re acting like that situation is already happening and acting like his value is diminished already because you feel like it might happen later.

Reactions: Snowman

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The Jets are literally the example with Trouba. I doubt they want to test fate and go through that all over again with a higher calibre player in Laine. Jets could be spooked in consummating a deal rather than playing hardball. That wouldn't bode well for Jets fans.
Is this narrative that the jets got bent over on the trading Trouba still a thing? Yes at the time the value seemed low, but Trouba had a much worse year at best, while Pionk player very well and the jets got Heinola to boot. I’m not upset with those two assets over and 8 mil discontent Trouba in the slightest.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

There was a potential trade to Pittsburgh, that ended up getting nixed by Pittsburgh cause Troubas agent said he only wants to play for the rangers

Reactions: Fig and Lorenzo1000

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I can definitely see Pattie holding out if he doesn't get to play w 55 as Laine has already demanded. Its too bad Pattie can't accept that Scheif doesn't want to play w him, and yes if 55 wanted Pattie on his wing he would be there. Hard to imagine this kid Laine just 4 years ago thought he could be the best in the world then he needs and demands the Center to play with. Time for Pattie to grow up.

Its not about playing with only Schiefele.
Its about the minutes. He was used at 16.5-17 mins ice time per game his first 3 years. That is absurb low compard to his goal production.
He wanted to play with the best players. Who doesnt? Its just Schiefele is the best player playing C.
Fast forward to last year. After the talk with Maurice and he signed the bridge. He got the minutes improvement. While trying to do what the coach wants him to do, be a 2way player. Imagine an under 22 goal scoring winger doing that. And Laine went and did it. He is not world beater yet in that aspect but he improved while pacing 0.93 points per game last year.

Reactions: Dache

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020
Its not about playing with only Schiefele.
Its about the minutes. He was used at 16.5-17 mins ice time per game his first 3 years. That is absurb low compard to his goal production.
He wanted to play with the best players. Who doesnt? Its just Schiefele is the best player playing C.
Fast forward to last year. After the talk with Maurice and he signed the bridge. He got the minutes improvement. While trying to do what the coach wants him to do, be a 2way player. Imagine an under 22 goal scoring winger doing that. And Laine went and did it. He is not world beater yet in that aspect but he improved while pacing 0.93 points per game last year.

Bro, those stats are awesome, feel like I've seen you post them before. Always down for a bit of Pattie stats. Anyhow try to see the trees through the forest. It doesn't matter who Pattie wants to play with. 55 will decide who flanks him. Blame Wheels, PMo, Chipman, Thompson, Little but if 55 wanted Pattie beside him he would be there. Hard to hear, I understand. Now back to the Pattie stats.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Is this narrative that the jets got bent over on the trading Trouba still a thing? Yes at the time the value seemed low, but Trouba had a much worse year at best, while Pionk player very well and the jets got Heinola to boot. I’m not upset with those two assets over and 8 mil discontent Trouba in the slightest.
I think this is the first time I’ve agreed with a Jets fan

Reactions: Dache

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I can definitely see Pattie holding out if he doesn't get to play w 55 as Laine has already demanded. Its too bad Pattie can't accept that Scheif doesn't want to play w him, and yes if 55 wanted Pattie on his wing he would be there. Hard to imagine this kid Laine just 4 years ago thought he could be the best in the world then he needs and demands the Center to play with. Time for Pattie to grow up.
Obviously you missed the several times in this thread where this has been totally debunked. FYI he had the 6th most icetime among RW in the league. More than Wheeler. Laine also had his best overall season with 0.93 ppg.

Even Strength Line Combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad